cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New business, getting startup funds

tag
Established Member

New business, getting startup funds

Having recently started a new business, less than a month old, I’m challenged with finding capital/funds with no business history. My business has no credit at this point either, positive or negative. What are some good options for getting any business funding? I would prefer big banks, but apparantely they require years of business or revenue for such business.

My business need is vehicle equipment in the range of $50,000+.

I’ve read mentions here of fundbox and others. Fundbox could work, but their terms seem very short for a high rate loan.

My personal credit is in the 800+ fico range, average age of accounts in the 8+ years range, no negatives, have a mortgage and several credit cards with good and long (10+ years) history.

Are there any big banks that will make exceptions? Are they looking for a personal guarantee to qualify?

Thanks!

Message 1 of 14
13 REPLIES 13
NYC_Fella
Frequent Contributor

Re: New business, getting startup funds

No bank that I know of will loan you $50K for a new business without a personal guarantee, even with the vehicles as collateral.

My former business partner has a logistics business and she has used Ally for truck financing. But she needed to give a personal guarantee despite having a thriving and profitable business with $800K in the bank.

Message 2 of 14
waqaszm1
Regular Contributor

Business credit if lacking can be countered with a personal guarantee. Your problem is a lack of revenue.

You will almost definitely have to personally guarantee a business loan.

Message 3 of 14
silver_idle
Established Contributor

@NYC_Fella wrote:

No bank that I know of will loan you $50K for a new business without a personal guarantee, even with the vehicles as collateral.

My former business partner has a logistics business and she has used Ally for truck financing. But she needed to give a personal guarantee despite having a thriving and profitable business with $800K in the bank.

Some banks usually have a specific requirement before giving a loan without a PG. Usually need to see income in the $1MM range, be in business for several years, and usually need to show the business can take care of itself. Also, while not required, its usually best for the business to be formed as a corporation over an LLC, but LLC can also still get a No-PG loans but they like to see the tax structure as a corporation in most cases. Such requirements still vary from bank to bank. 

Message 4 of 14
credit8502020
Established Contributor

@borsin wrote:

Having recently started a new business, less than a month old, I’m challenged with finding capital/funds with no business history. My business has no credit at this point either, positive or negative. What are some good options for getting any business funding? I would prefer big banks, but apparantely they require years of business or revenue for such business.

I’ve read mentions here of fundbox and others. Fundbox could work, but their terms seem very short for a high rate loan.

My personal credit is in the 800+ fico range, average age of accounts in the 8+ years range, no negatives, have a mortgage and several credit cards with good and long (10+ years) history.

Are there any big banks that will make exceptions? Are they looking for a personal guarantee to qualify?

Thanks!

@borsin Congratulations on your new business! I know you mentioned vehicle equipment. Is that all you need the funding for? Ex. Are you planning to buy a fleet of vehicles or one vehicle now and another in 6 months, etc.? What type of equipment do you need? I'm asking because having a strategic funding plan makes a big difference in how much funding you will be able to get in one round. I can help you identify a number of options, but there are a number of variables to consider in helping you structure everything in the most optimal way possible. 

Message 5 of 14
Society1
Regular Contributor

Apply for the capital on tap card brother should give you at least 10K

Message 6 of 14
4sallypat
Valued Contributor

@Society1 wrote:

Apply for the capital on tap card brother should give you at least 10K

In addition to Capital on Tap, try Divvy and Torpago - these are the new fintech banks that will lend to new businesses.

Message 7 of 14
Society1
Regular Contributor

Torpago? Never heard of them I will definitely do my research on them! Thanks 

Message 8 of 14
4sallypat
Valued Contributor

@Society1 wrote:

Torpago? Never heard of them I will definitely do my research on them! Thanks 

https://www.torpago.com/ 

Yes, this corporate card is a new fintech business that makes it easy for new businesses and startups to get business credit.

I am applying as soon as my D&B, Biz EXP/EQ starts showing.

They don't use personal credit so you do need an EIN w/ business bank account.

Message 9 of 14
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

@borsin wrote:

Thanks!

It would not be hard to get a vehicle loan.

Of course you will have to personally guarantee it.

Total revolving limits 741200 (620700 reporting) FICO 8: EQ 703 TU 704 EX 687

Message 10 of 14
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.