Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Random charges by Fleetcor

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Random charges by Fleetcor

Fleetcor strikes again! They are predatory with their fees which is one of the reasons why it's a fairly easy vendor to attain as a new business. You have to be careful with ALL fuel accounts as these fees are prevelant in the industry. The most common is the monthly per card fee usually $2-$4 per card whether you use it or not. Many people request multiple cards without realizing and customer service reps don't always communicate that tidbit. Before you know it you have a small bill each month and if you miss the due date then here comes the late fee of $50-$75. Miss that then interest gets tacked on. Then a high-risk fee. Before you know it, you're in the hundreds in charges and have yet to purchase any fuel.

When you attain "Fleet" accounts there are numerous possible fees you need to be aware of and each company is different. Make sure you read the terms in detail. I promise you its all hidden in there in very small font.

BTW Fleetcor was sued not too long ago regarding this issue in a very high profile case. Google has the details.

Message 11 of 16
shasta
Regular Contributor

I've had my ARCO fleetcor fuel card for about 3 years. I made a payment on the due date and they considered it late. Started charging me $53 a month for a "high risk" fee. I called and they reversed the charges and promised they wouldn't happen anymore.

A couple of months later, they stopped sending my paper bill and i couldn't see any charges on the online bill. Sure enough, the $53 a month charges started happening again. 

I just called and cancelled today

Message 12 of 16
sugarcreek67
Frequent Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Fleetcor strikes again! They are predatory with their fees which is one of the reasons why it's a fairly easy vendor to attain as a new business. You have to be careful with ALL fuel accounts as these fees are prevelant in the industry. The most common is the monthly per card fee usually $2-$4 per card whether you use it or not. Many people request multiple cards without realizing and customer service reps don't always communicate that tidbit. Before you know it you have a small bill each month and if you miss the due date then here comes the late fee of $50-$75. Miss that then interest gets tacked on. Then a high-risk fee. Before you know it, you're in the hundreds in charges and have yet to purchase any fuel.

When you attain "Fleet" accounts there are numerous possible fees you need to be aware of and each company is different. Make sure you read the terms in detail. I promise you its all hidden in there in very small font.

BTW Fleetcor was sued not too long ago regarding this issue in a very high profile case. Google has the details.

@Anonymous I appreciate the info on that case. Google can be your friend indeed.  I attempted to contact my account "executive" multiple times,never a single call back. I even got an email from someone else claiming to be aware of the issue. I replied to that email within a few minutes of it coming and never a single reply. 

I filed a rather discriptive complaint with the BBB in the Atlanta area. I even made reference and provided a link to that case in my complaint, basically comparing what the suit was about sure seemed to be exactly what I was dealing with. 

Today, someone called me from Comdata, they were responding to my BBB complaint. He stated that after researching the 277.95 charge, they concluded they had made an error and promised that those charges would be removed. I insisted on that in writing. received an email with all his info plus the BBB case number. He promised that it would not happen again, I, of course made it clear that there was no way it happen to ME again because I closed the account and assured him I would never get involved with Comdata/fleetcor/fuelman EVER again. 

Lesson learned.... for those that wish to continue doing business with them, I would seriously scrutinize every single charge compared to receipts. I would also suggest using our friend Mr Google to read the details of the case mentioned upthread.  I can confirm that these charges never made it to any business report so far, but I did catch these charges very quickly.

>>current scores 12/11/21
EQ Fico9 759 | TU Fico9 763 | EX Fico9 768
EX fico 8 753 | EQ Fico8 745 | TU Fico 8 760 | Navy score 294
Message 13 of 16
4sallypat
Valued Contributor

@sugarcreek67 

Did you find out if the Fleetcor billing details include the monthly card fee ?

I know my Fleetcor FuelMan MC has a monthly $4.99 charge for the card and my Fleetcor ARCO has a $1 monthly fee.

No matter if you had any charges to the card, the monthly card fee is persistent.

Maybe you had lots of monthly card fees ?

Message 14 of 16
sugarcreek67
Frequent Contributor

@4sallypat  When I opened the account, I asked for 2 cards. 3.99/ mo each. However, the first 3 months the card fee's were waived.  *IF* they would have charged the basic card fee's, I would have seen those on the statement and just paid them. This mystery fee just showed up on the Jan.8-15th cycle there was nothing anywhere to explain those charges. 

>>current scores 12/11/21
EQ Fico9 759 | TU Fico9 763 | EX Fico9 768
EX fico 8 753 | EQ Fico8 745 | TU Fico 8 760 | Navy score 294
Message 15 of 16
RootDet
Established Contributor

word to the wise, if they are hitting you with high-risk fees, then just cancel. do not bother.

I would call in, try and cancel and "oih we will remove the fees, in 3 months your account should be reviewed again and they will lift the high-risk status. covid has us changing risk" yada yada. 3 months later, the fees come back, the same excuse. Basically, your account is not profitable thereto, they want to create profit. 

Also if you read the terms, they have a right to bill you a SURCHARGE (per transaction) if the price per gallon falls below a floor limit. 

Message 16 of 16
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.