Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sorta OT Question about Sole-Proprietorship

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Sorta OT Question about Sole-Proprietorship

If one starts a SO along with an EIN, does that SO file independently of the owners personal taxes since it is attached to an EIN?  Mostly curious if earning from the SO and Owner considered separate or would/could the SO earnings be added to personal taxes and push into another bracket?
Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
GregB
Valued Contributor

Re: Sorta OT Question about Sole-Proprietorship

I don't know that I completely understand your question but in a Sole Proprietership, the owner and the business are the same. The business is entered as a Schedule C on your Federal Tax Return.

If you make $10,000 a year working as an employee and you also have a business that grossed $100,000 the same year and had $80,000 in expenses then you are paying income tax on the $10,000 in wages plus the $20,000 in profit from the business.

Does that answer your question?

Don't forget that if the business is doing its accounting on an accrual basis that you pay income tax on the profit. That is not likely to be the same as the draws you take out of the business. If you take no draw for the year and everything stays the same except your inventory is now worth $5,000 more, you are paying taxes on the $5,000 even though you didn't take any money to use to pay the taxes.

Message 2 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hmm, I think thanks. It seems though it is the profift from the SC that is added to personal taxes not the income. So if you make $100k personally and your biz bills $10k and has $10k in expenses, your addition to your income would be $0?
Message 3 of 4
GregB
Valued Contributor

Yes, that is correct.
Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.