Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Thinking of dropping Marriott Bonvoy Business

tag
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

Thinking of dropping Marriott Bonvoy Business

I know that the card's annual fee pays for itself with the anniversary free night award. But so what?

Why bother having and using a card if it's rewards structure just isn't that rewarding?

For me the Marriott points are worth about 1/3 to 4/10 of a cent.  I can realistically pick up 4 points per dollar on dining, gas, cell phone, and shipping, which means 1.6 cents or 1.6%.

If I use the Amex Blue Business card, I get 2 points on everything, which I can exchange for 1.6 TrueBlue points which is worth about 2.56 cents to me, or 2.56%.

If I use the Amex Simply Cash Plus, I get 5% on office supplies and cell phone, and 3% on another category which could be shipping if I chose.

If I use the Hilton Business card I get 6 points on gas, cell phone, and shipping, which is worth 2.4 cents to me, or 2.4%.

And so on.

Pardon me for thinking out loud here, but I figured if I do it this way someone might point out to me that I'm missing the boat on something.

Total revolving limits 741200 (620700 reporting) FICO 8: EQ 703 TU 704 EX 691

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
hawkins
Frequent Contributor

Re: Thinking of dropping Marriott Bonvoy Business

I have not had that card long enough to really decide that yet. However I got mine when it was $0 for the first year the $95 second year and finally $125 3rd year. I decided to commit to it till just before the 3rd year hits to make a decision on keeping it or getting rid of it. I will admit most of my spend is not on that card so I’m on the fence but time I will give it to see if it’s worthwhile. If you feel it’s not for you then definitely get rid of it especially if you had to pay the AF right away. Just wait till it reaches a year though.
Message 2 of 8
Credit-hoarder
Valued Contributor

Mine will probably be on the chopping block in Oct. 2020 as well. I've only had it 9 mos. and figured I'd pay the AF at least once as not to p.o. AMEX and have my 100k pts. clawed back. Besides I can get use of the free nights. I was using It for shipping at 4x--but it's like you said SJ--it only comes out to about 1x when you reedem it--so right now I can use my Chase FU while it's still on the 3x UR SUB and actually get 1 cpp value from it--I can also use my Simply Cash + for 3% shipping as well   Also I'm not too crazy about that 26.74% APR I was given on the Marriott.

BUSINESS
Rewards Pts.-Miles: UR-MR-TYP-Venture
Message 3 of 8
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

@Credit-hoarder wrote:

Mine will probably be on the chopping block in Oct. 2020 as well. I've only had it 9 mos. and figured I'd pay the AF at least once as not to p.o. AMEX and have my 100k pts. clawed back. Besides I can get use of the free nights. I was using It for shipping at 4x--but it's like you said SJ--it only comes out to about 1x when you reedem it--so right now I can use my Chase FU while it's still on the 3x UR SUB and actually get 1 cpp value from it--I can also use my Simply Cash + for 3% shipping as well   Also I'm not too crazy about that 26.74% APR I was given on the Marriott.

That's a great point you make. I forgot about that issue. Actually mine is less than a year old too, so I'd better just hang on to it for awhile.

Message 4 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

The fee on that card hardly seems worth it, besides my wife has the personal Marriott card, so one AF is enough

Message 5 of 8
woodyman100
Valued Contributor

I’m holding onto my Chase Marriott business  just for the credit line. The free night is meh now that it’s capped at 35k.

i would much rather pay for a room and earn the points that way.

I closed my CSR so no more point transfers.

i see your logic though

NFCU-ICCU-EECU-PSECU-DoverFCU-DCUFCU-Union Square FCU-Signature FCU-AODFCU-RedstoneFCU-USAllianceFCU-Amarillo National Bank-BHG MC-CapitalOne-CapitalOne Biz-Regions-Goldman Sachs (Apple/GM)-Evolve-Fifth Third-Gemini-Huntington-Imprint-USBank-Pinnacle-Cardless-John Deere-Discover-BofA-BofA Biz-Celtic Bank (M1)-Chase-Chase Biz-Amex-Amex Biz-Wells Fargo-Commerce-FNBO-Citi-Citi Biz-Synchrony-Synchrony Biz-Target TD-Third Coast Bank-USAA-Amegy-Amegy Biz-Dell-Citizens Biz-Comenity-Comenity Biz-Bread (Comenity)-DSNB-Webbank-Bill
Message 6 of 8
redpat
Senior Contributor

Lol, I’m thinking of getting this card next week.  Here is why, I made the mistake of closing my SPG card now the Bonvoy card, I used 2 seven night certificates,  I had 3 other nights and 5 nights coming in August.  I didn’t realize the my certificates count as stays towards status and if I kept my card I would have 37 nights, only 13 nights left for plat status.

Now I have to get either the biz card or boundless card for the 15 night credits because I can get the 13 nights in by December.

So before closing your card OP make sure you look at all the options and don’t make a rookie mistake like I did.

Personal Cards: Amex Plat | Amex Delta Res | CSR | Citi AA Exec Business Cards: Ink+ | Amex BGR
Message 7 of 8
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

@redpat wrote:

Lol, I’m thinking of getting this card next week.  Here is why, I made the mistake of closing my SPG card now the Bonvoy card, I used 2 seven night certificates,  I had 3 other nights and 5 nights coming in August.  I didn’t realize the my certificates count as stays towards status and if I kept my card I would have 37 nights, only 13 nights left for plat status.

Now I have to get either the biz card or boundless card for the 15 night credits because I can get the 13 nights in by December.

So before closing your card OP make sure you look at all the options and don’t make a rookie mistake like I did.

Thanks for the tip, but I don't travel enough for those things to matter. You are way out of my league Smiley Happy

Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.