Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Two businesses, two BBPs?

tag
wasCB14
Super Contributor

Two businesses, two BBPs?

I did some searches but could only find answers for Chase and Cap One...not Amex.

I have one BBP which I use for one business and some personal expenses. Would Amex consider giving me a second BBP for a wholly unrelated business?

The second business would mostly have off-category spend, so other Amex business cards with typical bonus categories (shipping, airfare, etc.) would not be very appealing.

Personal spend: Amex Gold, Amex Schwab Plat., BofA PR+CCR(x2), Costco
Business use: Amex Bus. Plat., BBP, Lowes Amex AU, CFU AU
Perks: Delta Plat., United Explorer, IHG49, Hyatt, "Old SPG"
Mostly SD: Freedom Flex, Freedom, Arrival
Upgrade/Downgrade games: ED, BCE
SUB chasing: AA Platinum Select
Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
simplynoir
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

Re: Two businesses, two BBPs?

Insofar as I'm aware Chase is the only lender I know of that will allow mutliples of the same business cards as long as its identification number is different for each application. In my searching supposedly AMEX does not allow this but the information was 4-5 years old so who knows if it's accurate assuming it was in the first place. If you have a SO/spouse or trusted family member I would consider going that route depending on how much another BBP you would like.

Have you tried contacting OPEN and seeing what they have to say?

Message 2 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

We have two separate business that operate out of the same office (one is a Corp. the other is an LLC) and have two separate Platinum accounts.

Message 3 of 8
wasCB14
Super Contributor

I have not used OPEN before. I will check it out.

A lot is TBD, dependent on division of an estate's assets (income real estate, residence, cash). I'm single.

It may work out that I become a member of an LLC with immediate family, or an employee of an income property business if my share is cash and/or a residence.

I'd have to look into MR pooling and transfer rules..whether two MR accounts can feed one FF account.

My hope was that I could pay the business's real estate taxes out of pocket as an employee and get it reimbursed as an expense. The business would get to keep cash a bit longer and I'd be able to buy MRs for only the price of the CC processing fee...and it would all pool neatly with my other MR cards.

I'm the only mile enthusiast in the family and wouldn't want to keep others' FF accounts active.

Message 4 of 8
simplynoir
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

We have two separate business that operate out of the same office (one is a Corp. the other is an LLC) and have two separate Platinum accounts.

Interesting. Different business names/operations? Did the same person apply for both cards (controller, owner, etc.)?

Message 5 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

The answer is yes. I can give a very recent DP as I have I opened an BBP in January as sole prop, and applied for a another BBP under my LLC and it was approved. They only limitation is the sign up bonus not being offered because I’ve had a BBP in my name already.
Message 6 of 8
wasCB14
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
The answer is yes. I can give a very recent DP as I have I opened an BBP in January as sole prop, and applied for a another BBP under my LLC and it was approved. They only limitation is the sign up bonus not being offered because I’ve had a BBP in my name already.

Thanks!

I assume the rewards from both BBPs go into the same MR account? It's not like the LLC needs a separate set of frequent flyer accounts?

Message 7 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks!

I assume the rewards from both BBPs go into the same MR account? It's not like the LLC needs a separate set of frequent flyer accounts?

Thats correct! I opted to use my current username with amex instead of creating a new one, and I have personal and two business accounts all pooling into one MR account. In the end i'll be the one using the points so it just makes thing easier. On a side note, my 1 month old soleprop BBP has a 2k limit, with only $400ish remaining available limit. I called amex if i can put a $4,000 charge on it and the CSR's joyful answer was "absolutely! you can run that charge and it will go through, we trust you!." +bonus points for amex! 

IMG_3694.PNG

Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.