Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Upgrade to Amex Biz Platinum

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Upgrade to Amex Biz Platinum

I have an offer to upgrade to the business platinum. I’m planning a trip to Ireland in July and I’m just wondering if the perks I could earn would offset the $450 AF. I found decent airfare prices off the Amex Travel port where I would get 5X the points and there’s also a $200 annual airline “fee” credit (baggage, etc) plus the $100 TSA PreCheck every 4 years. I don’t travel abroad often and it’s highly unlikely I’ll ever land at an airport with lounge access. I’m just curious if I could come out ahead via points/perks. We do plan on traveling at least once a year from now on wether it be stateside or abroad. Any thoughts? Suggestions? Or just stick with the Gold?
Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Upgrade to Amex Biz Platinum

@Anonymous wrote:
I have an offer to upgrade to the business platinum. I’m planning a trip to Ireland in July and I’m just wondering if the perks I could earn would offset the $450 AF. I found decent airfare prices off the Amex Travel port where I would get 5X the points and there’s also a $200 annual airline “fee” credit (baggage, etc) plus the $100 TSA PreCheck every 4 years. I don’t travel abroad often and it’s highly unlikely I’ll ever land at an airport with lounge access. I’m just curious if I could come out ahead via points/perks. We do plan on traveling at least once a year from now on wether it be stateside or abroad. Any thoughts? Suggestions? Or just stick with the Gold?

Is there a points offer to upgrade?  If not, definitely don’t upgrade.  If you decide the Platinum is worth it, just apply outright.  Most likely a SP and either 75k or 100k points depending upon the offer you apply under.  Also if you get the card whatever you don’t apply for the TSA preCheck and instead get Global Entry.  Works the same as PreCheck for domestic flights and it will save you lots of time going thru customs when you fly back to the US.  not sure what you mean when you say ‘highly unlikely I’ll ever land at an airport with lounge access‘.  Every airport has Lounges of some sort and between the Priority Pass, Centurion Lounges and Delta SkyClub, you will have lots of opportunities to make use of the lounge access.

Message 2 of 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Upgrade to Amex Biz Platinum

@Irish80, thanks for your input. Yeah, I read about the Priority Pass after I posted so you’re right about that. And of course, Global Entry.

I don’t believe there’s any bonus points for upgrading so if anything, I’ll apply for a new card. Thanks!
Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.