cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Was I ever on the AMEX Blacklist?

PlenopticAeon
Established Member

Was I ever on the AMEX Blacklist?

Back in Nov 2018 , my AMEX Everyday Blue Cash was closed (Opened Sept 2017 with a $1000 limit). In April of 2021 I settled less than the full the  balance ($300 of the $800 owed)

On July 4th, I opened an AMEX High Yield Savings account with $600, then on July 11th, I decided to take the leap and apply for the AMEX Blue Business Plus (set up an assumed name for a small business I'm just starting).  I had schedule to unfreeze my credit on July 11th and at around 2:30 am I submitted my application and within 1 hour I received an email welcoming me to the Blue Business Plus card.  I was shocked because this per 2 different credit reports, this charge off would drop off until 2024 or 2025 and always have heard how long of a memory AMEX has when you "burn them".  Maybe it was because the charge off was only for an amount less than $1000 so they were a little more forgiving.  I've also heard this business card is easier for start ups to get approval.  (I'm also wondering if opening the personal HYSA helped the relationship...ie making up for the amount I paid less to settle?)

I currently have a 747 Experian FICO 8 score and a utilization of 3% of less on all my cards (NFCU More Rewards $39,000 , NFCU Cash Rewards $35,000, TOMO Card at $3000, Cap1 QS $2800) Average Age for my own cards is 7.7 years (but also a AU of three other cards, buffing that up to 25years AAofA) 

Hope this gives some helpful info, but let me know if I can provide anything else for more insight. 

Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

Re: Was I ever on the AMEX Blacklist?

@PlenopticAeon wrote:

Back in Nov 2018 , my AMEX Everyday Blue Cash was closed (Opened Sept 2017 with a $1000 limit). In April of 2021 I settled less than the full the  balance ($300 of the $800 owed)

On July 4th, I opened an AMEX High Yield Savings account with $600, then on July 11th, I decided to take the leap and apply for the AMEX Blue Business Plus (set up an assumed name for a small business I'm just starting).  I had schedule to unfreeze my credit on July 11th and at around 2:30 am I submitted my application and within 1 hour I received an email welcoming me to the Blue Business Plus card.  I was shocked because this per 2 different credit reports, this charge off would drop off until 2024 or 2025 and always have heard how long of a memory AMEX has when you "burn them".  Maybe it was because the charge off was only for an amount less than $1000 so they were a little more forgiving.  I've also heard this business card is easier for start ups to get approval.  (I'm also wondering if opening the personal HYSA helped the relationship...ie making up for the amount I paid less to settle?)

I currently have a 747 Experian FICO 8 score and a utilization of 3% of less on all my cards (NFCU More Rewards $39,000 , NFCU Cash Rewards $35,000, TOMO Card at $3000, Cap1 QS $2800) Average Age for my own cards is 7.7 years (but also a AU of three other cards, buffing that up to 25years AAofA) 

Hope this gives some helpful info, but let me know if I can provide anything else for more insight. 

Congratulations.

Yes this defies the "conventional wisdom". So much for conventional wisdom Smiley Happy

Total revolving limits 748700 (628200 reporting) FICO 8: EQ 701 TU 717 EX 682

Message 2 of 11
keekers556
Regular Contributor

I wonder if it's because the amount you burned them for was relatively low. I burned AMEX for $15K years ago; I'm basically assuming I'll never get another AMEX issued card in my lifetime.

Message 3 of 11
cashorcharge
Community Leader
Senior Contributor

Glad that worked out!  Congratulations on your AMEX BBC Approval!🎉🍾🥂

Message 4 of 11
MCM1
Regular Contributor

I have heard of several people going the route of opening an Amex savings account.  After denials and denials they waited for the first statement to cycle and then applied for an Amex card - APPROVED.  So I do believe it helps verify you and you are in the Amex ecosystem. 

Message 5 of 11
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

@MCM1 wrote:

I have heard of several people going the route of opening an Amex savings account.  After denials and denials they waited for the first statement to cycle and then applied for an Amex card - APPROVED.  So I do believe it helps verify you and you are in the Amex ecosystem. 

A deposit account has no bearing or influence on any CC approvals by AENB. This has been confirmed in the past by AENB insiders. These two divisions are separate and walled off from each other. Verification may be one thing, but odds of approval by having the savings account will not nudge things one bit. The influence is based on matrix data and whenever AENB SPs reports, not a savings account.

Message 6 of 11
PlenopticAeon
Established Member

Thanks for this info. Other than the AMEX HYSA I opened seven days prior, I was tempted to open up a AMEX Business checking account prior to submitting the app for the AMEX BBP, but held off since they changed the sign up bonus from $300 cash back to 20K MR points (which was a less cash equivalent) 

Similary to what another post stated, I feel it was easier for me to be approved as the CL on the personal AMEX was only $1000 and the charge off amount was in the $800 range (but less than $1000).  I only decided to give it a try as I've read that if I was on the "black list", it wouldn't even do a HP --so didn't think I had anything to lose.  I was still hesitant since I've read over and over that AMEX has a long memory even after the charge off drops from your credit reports (and I had only paid and settled less than full amount only a little over 1 year ago).  Even the person handling the charge off payment stated that I wouldn't be able to get back with AMEX if I only paid a settled amount vs the full amount. 

I never mentioned this in my original post, but they approved me for $30,000 and am grateful to be back in the AMEX ecosystem and hoping to ad more business/personal AMEX cards in the mid-to-far future.  I'm still waiting for my official physical card (but currently using temp # via Apple Pay) and paperwork but I'm also sure that I received the 15k SUB (was hoping the offer would be higher when I applied but needed the card to help with starting a new business)

Message 7 of 11
ScorpioRising
New Contributor

@PlenopticAeon wrote:

Thanks for this info. Other than the AMEX HYSA I opened seven days prior, I was tempted to open up a AMEX Business checking account prior to submitting the app for the AMEX BBP, but held off since they changed the sign up bonus from $300 cash back to 20K MR points (which was a less cash equivalent) 

Similary to what another post stated, I feel it was easier for me to be approved as the CL on the personal AMEX was only $1000 and the charge off amount was in the $800 range (but less than $1000).  I only decided to give it a try as I've read that if I was on the "black list", it wouldn't even do a HP --so didn't think I had anything to lose.  I was still hesitant since I've read over and over that AMEX has a long memory even after the charge off drops from your credit reports (and I had only paid and settled less than full amount only a little over 1 year ago).  Even the person handling the charge off payment stated that I wouldn't be able to get back with AMEX if I only paid a settled amount vs the full amount. 

I never mentioned this in my original post, but they approved me for $30,000 and am grateful to be back in the AMEX ecosystem and hoping to ad more business/personal AMEX cards in the mid-to-far future.  I'm still waiting for my official physical card (but currently using temp # via Apple Pay) and paperwork but I'm also sure that I received the 15k SUB (was hoping the offer would be higher when I applied but needed the card to help with starting a new business)

Congratulations on your come-back approval! What an excellent SL!

Message 8 of 11
Thermionic_E
Regular Contributor

My girlfriend had a charge off at the same period of time we immediately paid when I was repairing her credit and they only offered us a weird prepaid card. Meanwhile becu gave her 20k. I just hate how hard it is to pay becu in full on time without living nearby. Anyway, Amex bucketed me after a return payment that was for an amount thst was already paid and the accounts balance was zero. Amex and other companies thst cannot reconcile the reality that I have already cleared and paid them a balance they are trying to collect are absurd. The whole idea that I hear argued all of the time that a return payment makes them nervous because you can't pay the amount doesn't mesh because I had paid my full balance already. 

edit- the amount was 115 of 225

Message 9 of 11
Thermionic_E
Regular Contributor

Ps. Amex really frustrates me because I have never had a full return payment and always covered by the first reattempt, yet I have been denied any cli or new cards for over a year. I have left most of my cards drawered and then pay for one transaction every several months. I have useless business cards. A 2k business gold card is more than useless. I can't even pay one invoice with it. Been a customer for four years and maintain a 740-760 Experian. One day maybe, but I'm done trying to get their favor by spending tens of thousands and pifing every month. also hate that their fr team makes me promises that referred to the original return payment being an incorrect input insofar as it had been paid but remained otherwise in the system: this was July of 2020 I believe. He told me it would be corrected and when I called back I end up on the phone for hours with nobody having a clue.

Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.