Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

When To Ask For CLI On Amex BBP

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

When To Ask For CLI On Amex BBP

I was approved for my Amex BBP card on 11/8/2018.  Got a $2,000 CL.  For my purposes I'd like a bit more as I put virtually all my non-category spend on it and the $2,000 hamstrings me a bit on that.  When can I ask for a CLI and how do I do it?  I can't find a link on the site to request an increase.  Also, what are they looking for in order to give me an increase?  Will they ask for a specific amount I want an increase to and if so, how much above my current limit should I ask for?  

As an FYI I've put about $7,200 on the card so far, making frequent payments in order to make it all happen.

***Update-Found how to make the request.  Question, my business is very small and I'm 1099'd about $17,000 although personal income is above $100,000...will the business income number hold my limit down?

Message 1 of 13
12 REPLIES 12
Remedios
Credit Mentor

Re: When To Ask For CLI On Amex BBP

Today is 61 days, so I guess you could request it today. Ask for $6k and see what they say 

Go to account services. On drop down menu, one of the options should be Increase your credit limit 

Good luck 

Message 2 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Remedios wrote:

Today is 61 days, so I guess you could request it today. Ask for $6k and see what they say 

Go to account services. On drop down menu, one of the options should be Increase your credit limit 

Good luck 

Got the dreaded "Your request for a line of credit increase has been submitted. 
You will receive a written response within 7-10 days."  I'm assuming this means I'm not getting it.

Message 3 of 13
K-in-Boston
Credit Mentor

Most likely that is the case, set a reminder for 91 days from today and ask again for $6,000.
Message 4 of 13
Remedios
Credit Mentor

I just realized it's a business card. I am not sure if rules are different for business cards 🙁
Message 5 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

@K-in-Boston wrote:
Most likely that is the case, set a reminder for 91 days from today and ask again for $6,000.

Curious...why 91 days?  Is that how often they allow a re-request for a CLI?

Message 6 of 13
Remedios
Credit Mentor

@K-in-Boston wrote:

Is 91 days applicable if the denial reason is asking too soon? 

Message 7 of 13
wasCB14
Super Contributor

Glad it's getting spend. Smiley Happy 2019's here with a fresh chance to earn 2x.

I got a CLI on my then-EDP maybe 3 days after getting the 7-10 message. That said, it was in 2015 and practices may change or differ for business.

From a few anecdotes (which may have given me the wrong impression), it seems Amex becomes interested in examining business income more readily than personal income. Out of a concern similar to yours (low business income in my name despite higher personal income) I've avoided seeking a CLI on my BBP.

Personal spend: Amex Gold, Amex Schwab Plat., BofA PR+CCR(x2), Costco
Business use: Amex Bus. Plat., BBP, Lowes Amex AU, CFU AU
Perks: Delta Plat., United Explorer, IHG49, Hyatt, "Old SPG"
Mostly SD: Freedom Flex, Freedom, Arrival
Upgrade/Downgrade games: ED, BCE
SUB chasing: AA Platinum Select
Message 8 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

@wasCB14 wrote:

Glad it's getting spend. Smiley Happy 2019's here with a fresh chance to earn 2x.

I got a CLI on my then-EDP maybe 3 days after getting the 7-10 message. That said, it was in 2015 and practices may change or differ for business.

From a few anecdotes (which may have given me the wrong impression), it seems Amex becomes interested in examining business income more readily than personal income.

Ya, the opportunity to earn 2x MR points on every single purchase, regardless of what category it might fall into is amazing.  I've got the Gold Card too so all of my Dining and Groceries go on that, as well as airfare.  Hotels go on my Venture one for the 10x on Hotels.com.  I'm considering the Amex Simply Cash Plus for Cell phone (5% back) and gas (3% back).  Then would just need something to fill my cable/internet hole and I'd have most of my spend covered.  However, would rather have points than cash so if I ever get to the point where I'll qualify I'd love to hit the Chase Trifecta with CFP/CF/Ink Cash (and/or Ink Preferred) as well.  Although also thinking Amex Platinum either Schwab for the 1.25 cents back per pt, or Business Platinum for 35% rebate on point expenditures.  I basically look at cards as a way to "force" me to "save" for travel, if that makes sense.  I don't really want cash back, I want points or anything else I can use for travel...besides cash which will just go against my monthly statement or into my bank account and get spent on day to day expenses.

Message 9 of 13
Credit-hoarder
Valued Contributor

@Remedios wrote:

@K-in-Boston wrote:

Is 91 days applicable if the denial reason is asking too soon? 

Curious to know this myself.

BUSINESS
Rewards Pts.-Miles: UR-MR-TYP-Venture
Message 10 of 13
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.