cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why does my business CC appear on my personal CR?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Why does my business CC appear on my personal CR?

I don’t understand why my business Capital One Spark CC appears on my personal CR. When I opened it I opened it in the business name? Is there anyway I can change this?

Message 1 of 20
19 REPLIES 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Why does my business CC appear on my personal CR?

@Anonymous wrote:

I don’t understand why my business Capital One Spark CC appears on my personal CR. When I opened it I opened it in the business name? Is there anyway I can change this?

Welcome to MyFICO

Unfortunate that you found this out after the fact but Capital One is one of a very few business credit card issuers that report the account to your personal credit reports.  Two others, TD Bank and Discover do the same while the rest report only to business credit unless you default.  There isn't anything you can do about it either as credit card companies are entirely free to report your account to whichever reports they want to.  While it's too late now for this account, please check with about any other cards that you wish to open as it's well known here that C1 reports to your personal credit.  

Message 2 of 20
credit_is_crack
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

That's not going to change. Some banks still report business credit cards on personal credit reports. I pulled this info recently and it supports what you're seeing. Which Bank Biz Cards Report To Biz Credit Reports

The intent was to track down which ones report to business credit reports, but in the process I noted which ones also still report to personal reports. I believe Capital One puts a note that says "Small Business Account" on your report, but it will impact your score like any other personal credit card (high balance, good and bad history, utilization, etc.)

Message 3 of 20
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

Hi @Anonymous and welcome to the forums.

Unfortunately, no it cannot be changed.  All Capital One business cards, regardless of the business name, report to personal CRAs.

Message 4 of 20
Turbobuick
Established Contributor

Sole proprietor is the same a personal. If it were a corporate card, then it would not be personal, perhaps? 

Message 5 of 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Turbobuick wrote:

Sole proprietor is the same a personal. If it were a corporate card, then it would not be personal, perhaps? 

Not really. You can get an EIN for a sole proprietor if you wish to keep things separate.

But that does not matter in this case. Cap One reports business accounts to personal reports no matter how you structure your business.

Message 6 of 20
CashBackQueen
Frequent Contributor

@Turbobuick wrote:

I have a registered LLC and Capital One still reports my Spark to my personal credit. It’s just how they do.

BK7 DC 1/2/18 • Progress as of 5/10/22:

TCL: $89,350 • If it ain't got rewards, I don't want it Smiley Wink
Message 7 of 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

I own a C Corp and have a Spark Card. It also reports to my personal credit report. Capital One will report all to your personal report.
Message 8 of 20
silver_idle
Established Contributor

Capital One Spark cards do report to personal (which imo is extremely odd thing to do on their end) but the last time I checked they did report to other business reports such as D&B and experian business. I havent used them in years though so I do not know how things changed now.

@Turbobuick wrote:

The spark cards can work for sole prop and legal entities but they would check and report to personal credit report. Their corporate cards, to my knowledge, does not report to personal (nor do they even have a PG for those) but you do required to have an legal entity (eg LLC or Corp), while having revenue in the million dollars range. They may request other documents as well as check business tradelines, references, etc (if any) to determine if your company is fit.

Message 9 of 20
pizza1
Community Leader
Super Contributor

Welcome to the Forums OP!! Glad you're here!

I will just +1 what others have said, and also add that before you do anything credit wise in the future, be it personal or business, come to the forums and ask questions first. That might save you some future headaches and disappointementsSmiley Happy

Message 10 of 20
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.