cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Will AMEX report this or be willing to forget it? Help!

tag
Swatch
Frequent Contributor

Will AMEX report this or be willing to forget it? Help!

I've worked hard on my personal credit for over a year, and it's gone well, and I've been starting to work on business credit too, but I'm worried about what has just happened. (It is not a sole proprietorship business if that matters.)

On Saturday, I noticed that one of my business revolvers was saying that I'm late. By a day. And I think the payment can't begin processing on a Sunday, therefore making me 3 days late. I know from the chart that AMEX reports negative activity to D&B and all three major personal bureaus, so am I screwed here?

Or will they listen to my situation? Any tips on how to get them to not report the negative activity? This was an unusual situation where I had three things go wrong at the same time. I am normally very careful to pay days in advance, sometimes weeks in advance and Amex has history of this. However, I only have 6.5 mo personal history with Amex and little business history with them.

First, it is a new card and I kept looking at the part (on my homepage) where they say my statement close date at the top. I had assumed that payment is not going to be due before the statement close date. I have never seen that happen before unless I had changed to a custom due date. Even then, usually you can only change it so much.

Second, I got confused because I was pretty sure I had made that card my primary Amex. So all the while, I was looking at the payment due amount and date for my other card. I was checking it every few days. They are two cards that are very similar in their appearance, Blue Cash and Blue Plus. And again, it's because it was a new card so I wasn't familiar with the number yet, etc.

Third I had difficulties getting online due to an adverse weather event.

I do AZEO.
Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

Re: Will AMEX report this or be willing to forget it? Help!

@Swatch wrote:

I've worked hard on my personal credit for over a year, and it's gone well, and I've been starting to work on business credit too, but I'm worried about what has just happened. (It is not a sole proprietorship business if that matters.)

On Saturday, I noticed that one of my business revolvers was saying that I'm late. By a day. And I think the payment can't begin processing on a Sunday, therefore making me 3 days late. I know from the chart that AMEX reports negative activity to D&B and all three major personal bureaus, so am I screwed here?

Or will they listen to my situation? Any tips on how to get them to not report the negative activity? This was an unusual situation where I had three things go wrong at the same time. I am normally very careful to pay days in advance, sometimes weeks in advance and Amex has history of this. However, I only have 6.5 mo personal history with Amex and little business history with them.

First, it is a new card and I kept looking at the part (on my homepage) where they say my statement close date at the top. I had assumed that payment is not going to be due before the statement close date. I have never seen that happen before unless I had changed to a custom due date. Even then, usually you can only change it so much.

Second, I got confused because I was pretty sure I had made that card my primary Amex. So all the while, I was looking at the payment due amount and date for my other card. I was checking it every few days. They are two cards that are very similar in their appearance, Blue Cash and Blue Plus. And again, it's because it was a new card so I wasn't familiar with the number yet, etc.

Third I had difficulties getting online due to an adverse weather event.

I don't think it will be reported.

Total revolving limits 741200 (620700 reporting) FICO 8: EQ 701 TU 704 EX 685

Message 2 of 6
BearsCubsOtters
Frequent Contributor

As SouthJamaica said, it is highly unlikely to report. Typically, creditors only report late payments after 30 days past due.

Message 3 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Amex doesn't report (positive) payment activity to D&B. They only report to SBFE. I don't even think they would report to D&B even if the account got charged off. 

Message 4 of 6
FishingGuy
Frequent Contributor

I'd make the payment asap.....  and call them..... the due date is always a few days before the bill cut / or statement end date...  I keep a chart of each card with both dates so i don;pt forget and make a mistake.   

Also,  on my Amex accounts, when I make a payment, even if it's a Sat, Sun or holiday.... they credit the payment, minutes after it was made even if the banking system is closed and they haven't received the payment yet.   This began occuring after I established history with them which I believe was at about the 6 month mark in the relationship.  ( though I don;t exactly remember )

Message 5 of 6
K-in-Boston
Credit Mentor

Amex will only report seriously delinquent business cards to personal consumer reports.   For business reporting, even SBFE (the only one they previously reported to) has become questionable.  Even if this were a personal card, it wouldn't be reported as late until it had become at least 30 days past due and by that point your accounts would have all likely been temporarily suspended.

Business cards all have a fixed due date each month that does not change unless you initiate it (unless something has changed recently, this cannot be done online for non-consumer cards) that is clearly displayed on both your statement (print and PDF) and on the card's screen on the website and app.  This is generally about 3-6 calendar days prior to the next statement closing depending on the month.  The sole exceptions are charge cards which will display a Please Pay By date that is about 10 days earlier than your true due date if they are not enrolled in Pay Over Time.

Regardless of weekends or holidays, Amex will always credit a scheduled payment effective the date you choose when scheduling a payment even if the money is not drafted until the following business day.  Although I am not sure if this is the case for same-day payments. 

If you have made a payment by now, there should be nothing to worry about although you may receive a late payment fee and possibly a penalty APR depending on your creditworthiness and history with Amex.  If it was an honest mistake, you may be able to get Amex to waive the late fee by calling or chatting with them.  But as far as your personal credit reports go, certainly nothing to worry about if it's a matter of a few days or even a few weeks late.

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.