Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Will This make Chase mad?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Will This make Chase mad?

I have a fairly large purchase coming up at lowes (Probably close to $5k) in the next 4 weeks or so. If I start to purchase lowes gift cards a couple hundred dollars at a time from staples what are the chances they aa me for that?
Message 1 of 12
11 REPLIES 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Will This make Chase mad?

Sorry I forgot to mention this a 2 month old ink plus card and I have a lengthy positive history with chase on the personal and checking side
Message 2 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

I'd guess that the answer is yes, it would be very risky to do.

Message 3 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

I'd guess that the answer is yes, it would be very risky to do.

I agree that doing it that way is risky but as Staples sells $500 Lowes gift cards, if yiou purchased $2000 in one purchase, you should be fine.  I've purchased Visa gift cards from them with the Ink+ before w/o issues as has many people.  Its the multiple puchases over a short period of time that will attract their unwanted attention.

Message 4 of 12
BD9
Valued Member

What exactly is aa?

Also, why would Chase have an issue with doing this at all?

Message 5 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

Aa is adverse action, like closing accounts, account review, cl decrease etc. They wouldn't like it because it's taking advantage of bonus categories. $5000 worth of lowes gc at staples would get me 25000 urs as opposed to only 5000 ur if I just paid at lowes with the card
Message 6 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

I appreciate the info, I would actually prefer to purchase like $2k and be done with it as opposed to a couple hundred multiple times I just thought I would be less suspicious. I may just skip this althogther because I really don't want to piss of chase
Message 7 of 12
BD9
Valued Member

I see, but (and I'm sorry if I'm being a bit "slow" here), is it typical for merchants to let the banks know what you purchased? I mean, if i walked into a Staples and bought $2000 worth of gift cards and some pens, and the total came out to $2007.63, would Chase know that $2000 of that is gift cards?

Message 8 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

@BD9 wrote:

I see, but (and I'm sorry if I'm being a bit "slow" here), is it typical for merchants to let the banks know what you purchased? I mean, if i walked into a Staples and bought $2000 worth of gift cards and some pens, and the total came out to $2007.63, would Chase know that $2000 of that is gift cards?

Yes, Chase would know.

Message 9 of 12
CreditUnionFan
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
I have a fairly large purchase coming up at lowes (Probably close to $5k) in the next 4 weeks or so. If I start to purchase lowes gift cards a couple hundred dollars at a time from staples what are the chances they aa me for that?

If you have a large purchase coming up, be sure that any gift cards can be used on the purchase. E.g., would the purchase only permit the use of four cards at one time?

Keep in .mind also that you might lose benefits such as warranty, pro e, or return protection.

It might also be easier to apply for and use a Lowe's card since there are personal and business versions. The Lowe's business card issued by Synchrony still offers 5% immediate discount.

I was going to garden... Honest!
Message 10 of 12
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.