cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Would getting a CLI on personal AMEX have effect on NEW business amex app?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Would getting a CLI on personal AMEX have effect on NEW business amex app?

Good afternoon all,

3 months ago, I got my foot in the personal card AmEx game w/ a platinum and BCP. I would like to apply for the business cards now, but want to do my 3x CLI on my BCP first.. Does the timing matter? Mind you, I have had these cards for 30 days, and AmEx actually auto CLI'd my Platinum 2x without me asking, assuming due to my spend..

Thanks in Advance! 

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
LP007
Frequent Contributor

Re: Would getting a CLI on personal AMEX have effect on NEW business amex app?

IMWTK.png

Message 2 of 8
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Good afternoon all,

3 months ago, I got my foot in the personal card AmEx game w/ a platinum and BCP. I would like to apply for the business cards now, but want to do my 3x CLI on my BCP first.. Does the timing matter? Mind you, I have had these cards for 30 days, and AmEx actually auto CLI'd my Platinum 2x without me asking, assuming due to my spend..

Thanks in Advance! 

I don't know what you mean when you say Amex "auto CLI'd [your] Platinum". The Platinum card doesn't have a credit limit.

As to your question, I'm sure it wouldn't matter at all to your business card application. But I'm pretty sure you need to wait 61 days to apply for a CLI on your BCP.

Total revolving limits 741200 (620700 reporting) FICO 8: EQ 703 TU 704 EX 687

Message 3 of 8
M_Smart007
Legendary Contributor

@SouthJamaica wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Good afternoon all,

Thanks in Advance! 

I don't know what you mean when you say Amex "auto CLI'd [your] Platinum". The Platinum card doesn't have a credit limit.

As to your question, I'm sure it wouldn't matter at all to your business card application. But I'm pretty sure you need to wait 61 days to apply for a CLI on your BCP.

@SouthJamaica, Possibly Delta Platinum?

https://www.americanexpress.com/us/credit-cards/card/delta-skymiles-platinum-american-express-card/

Message 4 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

@SouthJamaica, all charge cards have a soft "spending power" limit and they doubled mine between 30-45 days of me having the card.. These cards are not truly "unlimited" and I wish people would better educate themselves on charge cards before spewing that word out.

I said I've had the card for 3 months, that's 90+ days, not too sure why you mention the 61 day rule. Thanks for your help though lol

Message 5 of 8
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@SouthJamaica, all charge cards have a soft "spending power" limit and they doubled mine between 30-45 days of me having the card.. These cards are not truly "unlimited" and I wish people would better educate themselves on charge cards before spewing that word out.

I said I've had the card for 3 months, that's 90+ days, not too sure why you mention the 61 day rule. Thanks for your help though lol

1.  You also said "I've had these cards for 30 days".

2.  Amex's "soft spending power" is not a credit limit; it goes up and down.

Total revolving limits 741200 (620700 reporting) FICO 8: EQ 703 TU 704 EX 687

Message 6 of 8
LP007
Frequent Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I've found that thay have adaptive spending limits. When I first got mine I was spending up the wasoo & paying back immediately, and had low-to-mid 5-fig spending power, but as soon as I stopped spending and carried a mid 4-fig balance they lowered my spending power. It seems you need to push the limit envelope, pay it down, push harder, pay it down and see your spending power grow with higher utililization and immediate pay-down. JMHO.

Message 7 of 8
K-in-Boston
Credit Mentor

I don't see that anyone mentioned that NPSL cards are "unlimited," however it is true that they do not have actually have a credit limit.  NPSL is a floating amount of spending power that adjusts in real-time based on income, assets, credit score, credit history, history with American Express, spending and payment history, and other factors known to American Express.  The overwhelming majority of cardholders will never be impacted by NPSL, although on credit forums and blogs this is seen fairly often due to the nature of those participating in said groups typically being well outside the norm of the average consumer.

@Anonymous wrote:

Good afternoon all,

Thanks in Advance! 

Going back to your original question, the timing really only matters depending on what Amex is willing to extend to you in credit.  If you are eligible for a CLI and a new line of credit but haven't hit your current ceiling with them, then the order does not really matter.  If you are reaching (or have reached) that ceiling, it's quite possible that a granted CLI may result in a lower starting line, or that applying for a new card would result in a declined or lower counter-offered CLI.  I would personally probably go for the CLI first, and then apply for the additional card, reallocating a credit line if needed (although remember that business revolving credit cannot be moved to personal revolving credit, while the opposite direction is possible).  However, if I thought the approval for a new card might be marginal, I would certainly go for that first, particularly if a lucrative Welcome Offer were on the table.

@LP007 wrote:

I've found that thay have adaptive spending limits. When I first got mine I was spending up the wasoo & paying back immediately, and had low-to-mid 5-fig spending power, but as soon as I stopped spending and carried a mid 4-fig balance they lowered my spending power. It seems you need to push the limit envelope, pay it down, push harder, pay it down and see your spending power grow with higher utililization and immediate pay-down. JMHO.

Spending and repayment patterns are only one part of the equation to Amex's very sophisticated algorithm.  I feel like a broken record at this point as I've mentioned it time and time again, but with my card at work for instance it'll see very light use for a year and then I'll suddenly make a $60k equipment purchase with no issues.  My own personal charge cards see light (Platinum) to moderate (Gold) usage each month and while none of my charge cards have had a statement balance over $10k for nearly 2 years now, I wouldn't for a moment think my cards might be declined if I were to head over to a Maserati dealer and buy a new car with one of them.

Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.