Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

surprise Amex Blue Business Plus approval - tiny SL

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

surprise Amex Blue Business Plus approval - tiny SL

Due to Irish's suggestion I decided to go ahead and apply for this while the 20k signup bonus link still worked even though my Blue for Business is currently floating a large balance on the 0% APR period.

Initially the app page said I could call CS for a decision, and I got an email indicating that they needed more time to process my application. As I was on my way to the gym I figured I would call them up when I arrived home again.

However, on the drive there I received an approval email Smiley Happy

Like Irish, they started this card with a little 2k limit, but I'm happy enough as I didn't really expect an approval to begin with, given the large balance on the other card in addition to my feeling like i was already at the max Amex exposure since they won't increase my personal Everyday card (tried at 6 months, and 9 months so far - flat out denied both times).

For data points, my EX (which they always pull - not sure if they will HP me for this since they have been randomly not HPing existing customers for a while) is 748, this makes 3 Amex business cards opened since January this year, personal utilization is 3%, AAoA is 3 years, 2 personal accounts opened in the last 6 months reporting, I think about 8 in the last 12 months, EX has 10 INQ in the last 12 months. Total exposure with Amex is now $48,000 ($22,000 business, $26,000 personal).

Most likely I will just combine the older Blue for Business limit into this new card once it's bonus period is over and it is old enough to combine. I don't need huge business card limits because my side business is just something I work on a few times per year when I have time for it, not a huge expense or money maker at the moment.

Huge thanks again to Irish for pushing me to just go ahead an apply while the getting is good!!

Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: surprise Amex Blue Business Plus approval - tiny SL

Congrats!  Fantastic offer and no HP are always a great combination.

Message 2 of 10
BPebbles
Frequent Contributor

Congrats on the Blue Plus!

Message 3 of 10
GeorgiaBulldog
Regular Contributor

Congrats, and welcome to the 'Essentially Useless PRG and ED' club Smiley Happy

Favorite cards: AMEX Morgan Stanley Platinum | BofA Alaska | Chase Hyatt | Citi AA Executive | FNBO Amtrak
Message 4 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Haha yes need to call them about a retention offer for PRG or it will be closed this year. ED might stick around if they have an upgrade offer to EDP but with a no AF 2mr card around...
Message 5 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

I applied last night and got a $9k SL. I'm surprised it wasn't $5k or lower given what I've read here and the fact that I had a simultaneous application for the Schwab Platinum. My relationship with Amex is a decade old and I've never paid late, but I've sought a lot of credit from them in the past year and they know I've become self-employed. I'll be afraid to ask for even 2x CLI after a couple of months because I don't want to trigger a financial review--they sound very disruptive!

Message 6 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

I applied last night and got a $9k SL. I'm surprised it wasn't $5k or lower given what I've read here and the fact that I had a simultaneous application for the Schwab Platinum. My relationship with Amex is a decade old and I've never paid late, but I've sought a lot of credit from them in the past year and they know I've become self-employed. I'll be afraid to ask for even 2x CLI after a couple of months because I don't want to trigger a financial review--they sound very disruptive!

Congrats on the approval.  Just an FYI but CLI requests never (99%) result in Financial Reviews.  They ask ask for POI in the form of a 4506-T but you can either provide the documents (access to tax returns via IRS), lower the CLI request until they no longer ask for it or just ignore it and keep existing limit.  Many people here do this exact approach.  A true FR is a completely different beast and that could happen at any time to any account holder.

Message 7 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

6 days later and still no inquiry so I guess the rumors were true!
Message 8 of 10
CreditUnionFan
Valued Contributor

Congrats on the Blue for Business Plus approval! After 61 days you can try for the legendary 3X CLI.

As for combining cards, I just recently agreed to close an old Amex Biz card to get my BBP approved, since you can only have five Amex credit cards. It was an easy decision for the analyst - close $10.3k SimplyCash for a $10.3k BBP.

I already stopped using the SimplyCash cards as I picked up the new SimplyCashPlus and SPG Business cards earlier this year.

I was going to garden... Honest!
Message 9 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

@CreditUnionFan wrote:

Congrats on the Blue for Business Plus approval! After 61 days you can try for the legendary 3X CLI.

As for combining cards, I just recently agreed to close an old Amex Biz card to get my BBP approved, since you can only have five Amex credit cards. It was an easy decision for the analyst - close $10.3k SimplyCash for a $10.3k BBP.

I already stopped using the SimplyCash cards as I picked up the new SimplyCashPlus and SPG Business cards earlier this year.

thanks! I think I am at my max exposure with them because they've denied any CLI on my Everyday card twice so far, but will give it a shot regardless.

Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.