cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What steps are you taking to manage your credit through the holiday season?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: THIS WEEK: What steps are you taking to manage your credit through the holiday season?

Cash only for me.    I have paid off all of my credit cards and I am debt free except for my car payment.   I have a good payment history and my score remains at 698.   Just can't seem to break the 700 mark.  I am afraid that if I use my credit cards my score will go down.  
Message 21 of 47
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: THIS WEEK: What steps are you taking to manage your credit through the holiday season?

As for my children, probably 90% of their shopping is done. Was done with cash between December 26th last year and now.

The other 10% will be paid for with cash or the Target card.

As for extended family(siblings, inlaws, nieces, nephews-all 28 of them), we will likely just have a big dinner at my MIL's house.

Message Edited by sidewinder on 11-07-2008 09:42 AM
Message 22 of 47
gfinms
New Visitor

Christmas is for children, give gifts to the children only. Adults should be beyond this. It is ridiculous what some people spend on Christmas. Also, people need to differentiate between wants and needs. We all want things we don't need. If you only get what you need, you will be much better off financially.   
Message 23 of 47
Anonymous
Not applicable

To be honest, I don't plan to buy anything for myself and just little presents (under $30) for my mom and brother.  I got myself into a little debt after quitting my job and not finding another until 3 months later and now I have two and my Christmas present is to get myself out of the  debt.
Message 24 of 47
Anonymous
Not applicable

Cash-only, as usual. We got into a bit of a habit the past two years of supplementing cash with a bit extra on the AAFES card, but we won't do it this year.

For the first time ever, DH is in a job that gets a Xmas bonus, so we'll be using the cash bonus only, and any extra money will pay down the CCs even more. I can't think of a better gift than a FICO boost, anyway!

We have never been into huge Christmases. DH & I don't buy for each other at all. But w/ six children, plus a new SO and the first grandchild on the way, even our "small" Christmas can cost a pretty penny! Smiley Surprised

Message 25 of 47
Anonymous
Not applicable

OPM - Other People's Money

I've filed a request with the OBS - Office of Bailout Supervision

Message Edited by Noah_Bodie on 11-10-2008 03:18 PM
Message 26 of 47
Anonymous
Not applicable

We are "sharing" a gift instead of purchasing lots of stuff. We chose from our needs list and are tucking away the money to make the purchase, so it will be cash only. We don't use credit cards except for Home Depot and Target, and only for minimal purchases.
Message 27 of 47
dizbuster
Frequent Contributor

Hello everyone, I'm new to the forum but would like to add my reply. I will be doing the Christmas shopping for my wife and 2 young daughters. I put suprise concert tickets (Brad Paisley) on my credit card but for the remainder of the Christmas gifts it will only be cash. We have done this for years and we have never gone into any debt to speak of for Christmas.
A smooth sea never made a skilled mariner.
7/6/2009 Equ 664 TU 680 (15 and 19 point jump respectively this week, over 100 point increase in 6 months)
Message 28 of 47
Anonymous
Not applicable

We are dept free of everything but medical bills. We will not be buying many Christmas presents this year since we have little extra money on hand.

As for cc's we have none so we won't be tempted to use them.

I will make a special trip to see my mother sometime in December, since she had surgery about a month ago.

Message 29 of 47
need2improve
New Contributor

I wish I had done the same last year by opening a christmas savings account at my local bank.  I completely got sidetracked and forgot.  but I did open one yesterday, so I'l be set for next christmas.

Starting Score: 486 TU 3/2/10
Current Score: TU 603 EQ 582
Goal Score: 640

Message 30 of 47
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.