cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

$13k SL Citi Double Cash, not approved for anything else?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

$13k SL Citi Double Cash, not approved for anything else?

What’s going on guys!

Just got approved for a citi double cash card with a starting limit of $13,700 which is great, after seeing that approval I decided to apply for a Discover card as well as a Amex, both were denied entirely. Really weird that Citi would give me a really high starting limit and others would outright deny me. Few months back Wells fargo(I bank with them for my businesses) Also denied me.

I barely have credit(only card that isnt a authorized user card has a $150 limit) So I understand, but I have strong income. Any ideas of other cards I can get approved for in this situation? Clearly citi takes income way over credit and didn’t bat an eye at handing me a card so i wonder what other card issuers may be similar!

Either way extremely happy to get this starting limit and look forward to requesting a CLI in the next few months!
Message 1 of 13
12 REPLIES 12
ChessChik47
Frequent Contributor

Re: $13k SL Citi Double Cash, not approved for anything else?

@Anonymous wrote:
What’s going on guys!

Just got approved for a citi double cash card with a starting limit of $13,700 which is great, after seeing that approval I decided to apply for a Discover card as well as a Amex, both were denied entirely. Really weird that Citi would give me a really high starting limit and others would outright deny me. Few months back Wells fargo(I bank with them for my businesses) Also denied me.

I barely have credit(only card that isnt a authorized user card has a $150 limit) So I understand, but I have strong income. Any ideas of other cards I can get approved for in this situation? Clearly citi takes income way over credit and didn’t bat an eye at handing me a card so i wonder what other card issuers may be similar!

Either way extremely happy to get this starting limit and look forward to requesting a CLI in the next few months!

Congrats on your approval.  Give us an idea of the rest of your profile...scores/baddies?/income/etc.  How many inquiries do you have on each bureau?  If you're getting denials, I'd suggest stop applying.  I wouldn't ask for a CLI either unless it's a soft pull.   

Message 2 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks! Nothing negative, score through Nerdwallet(not accurate of course) is 735. I only have 2 inquiries in the past 12 months as Citi didn’t pull my credit only discover/Amex did.

Strong suit is the income, last year around $330k which is why I’m assuming I got the approval for citi.
Message 3 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

Congrats on your Citi approval and SL!  That's a nice one!  Sorry for the denials.  Maybe check their prequal pages in a few months.

Message 4 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
Thanks! Nothing negative, score through Nerdwallet(not accurate of course) is 735. I only have 2 inquiries in the past 12 months as Citi didn’t pull my credit only discover/Amex did.

Strong suit is the income, last year around $330k which is why I’m assuming I got the approval for citi.

Your first step should be to obtain your genuine FICO scores from the three major credit bureau; not the VantageScore offered by NerdWallet.  Most lenders use FICO to evaluate credit applications and your FICO scores can vary widely from what is calculated by VantageScore.  This is especially true for "thin" credit files like yours.  I would advise not applying for credit until you get your FICO scores and also examine your credit report for any unanticipated negatives.

There are several sources where you can get your FICO credit scores but the simplest is to sign up for the $1 trial subscription to CreditCheckTotal.com.  Just be sure to cancel your trial membership before the 10-day trial period expires.

Message 5 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

The reason the others didn't approve is most likely the lack of history with your own cards.  Some banks filter out AU cards when evaluating your application.  Citi will provide your Fico 9 EQ each month as you use them.  If you don't generate a statement with Citi though you don't get reported that month.  Put something recurring on it or make sure you're using it every month to get the most points for the tradeline when it comes to scoring.

I would probably just wait 6 months before tackling other apps though to show some personal history that can be looked at on yorur reports when banks pull them.  Besides in 6 months you'll be eligible for a SP CLI with Citi as well.  However, when I pick up Citi cards I usually just hit the CLI option at activation and take the HP and both times they upped the original limit by 5K. 

Message 6 of 13
pinkandgrey
Senior Contributor

That is odd lol but it worked out okay for you! Congrats on a highly impressive SL for the DC!!!
Discover It: 21.5k
Amex Cash Magnet: 18k
Fidelity Visa: 16.5k
Apple Card: 4.25k
Message 7 of 13
CreditInspired
Community Leader
Super Contributor

Congrats on the approval OP.

Yep, it's time to stop applying because declines just start begatting declines.

Wait until the letters come giving the reasons for decline, then come back here and let us know the reasons. This will give us some insight and be better able to respond to your questions.

|| AmX Cash Magnet $40.5K || NFCU CashRewards $30K || Discover IT $24.7K || Macys $24.2K || NFCU CLOC $15K || NFCU Platinum $15K || CitiCostco $12.7K || Chase FU $12.7K || Apple Card $7K || BOA CashRewards $6K
Message 8 of 13
KLEXH25
Valued Contributor

Congrats on the new card and high SL. How is it that Citi didn’t do a HP? Who is the lender for the AU card? In the future, I wouldn’t apply for anything before checking the prequalification pages first. Let us know what the letter says so we can give recommendations (if any) and definitely get a copy of your reports and scores!!! You should know these before applying for anything. Plenty of “free” ways to do it or even pay for it. I think you can spare a few bucks lol.

Message 9 of 13
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

Citi offers Eq Fico Bankcard 8 Score model , not Fico 9 FYI
Message 10 of 13
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.