cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

4 Months with Freedom Flex, Apply for Freedom Unlimited?

tag
CitizenHobbes
New Contributor

4 Months with Freedom Flex, Apply for Freedom Unlimited?

Happy new year!

Last August, I applied for a Chase Freedom Flex, and after an in-branch reconsideration, I was approved for a $500 CL. Four months later, I'm loving the card and it's great to use the quarterly categories for UR points. Currently,  I'm considering applying for a Chase Freedom Unlimited to start taking advantage of the 1.5x, as well as Chase's current grocery bonus offer. From my reading, I'm under the impression that 3-6 months between Chase applications is ideal, and being right at four months, I'm wondering if I'd be alright to apply now? Or should I wait another two months (or until Chase ends the grocery bonus offer)? The scores in my signature are all up to date, though TransUnion and Experian are the most recent; and, as I mentioned in the post I linked above, I'm a long-time Chase checking customer (if that matters, in this case).

Thanks in advance!

Current Cards:

Next Cards:

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

Re: 4 Months with Freedom Flex, Apply for Freedom Unlimited?

@CitizenHobbes wrote:

Happy new year!

Last August, I applied for a Chase Freedom Flex, and after an in-branch reconsideration, I was approved for a $500 CL. Four months later, I'm loving the card and it's great to use the quarterly categories for UR points. Currently,  I'm considering applying for a Chase Freedom Unlimited to start taking advantage of the 1.5x, as well as Chase's current grocery bonus offer. From my reading, I'm under the impression that 3-6 months between Chase applications is ideal, and being right at four months, I'm wondering if I'd be alright to apply now? Or should I wait another two months (or until Chase ends the grocery bonus offer)? The scores in my signature are all up to date, though TransUnion and Experian are the most recent; and, as I mentioned in the post I linked above, I'm a long-time Chase checking customer (if that matters, in this case).

Thanks in advance!

The ideal time is really more of a guidance than set in stone since everything is profile-dependent.

Your linked Freedom FLEX thread stated you had to go through the reconsideration process. What was the reason the applications was originally denied before the decision was overturned?

I'm assuming the reason for the scores being suppressed is due to some late payment history. How recent are those late payments? How far in arrears were any of them reported - 30, 60, 90 days?

Message 2 of 6
CitizenHobbes
New Contributor

Right, I did have late payments, on a credit card and a student loan, both for 120 days. The credit card late is from 2019 but the student loan was from a year ago.

Current Cards:

Next Cards:

Message 3 of 6
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

@CitizenHobbes wrote:

Right, I did have late payments, on a credit card and a student loan, both for 120 days. The credit card late is from 2019 but the student loan was from a year ago.

Ok, thanks for the additional details.

Personally, I would wait a little longer than 4 months from obtaining CFF. The reason being, Chase may have approved CFF on a judgemental review and it's possible, if approved, you may get a similar SL. The severity of the derogs definitely tends to fade over time, but it might be too soon for another heap of Chase. Just my 2¢.

Perhaps others can chime in their thoughts.

Message 4 of 6
JoeRockhead
Senior Contributor

I definitely support the notion that you should wait until at least until the 6 or 7 month mark, longer if you can. Your scores will improve as well as chances of a higher SL.. Sometimes you have to slow down, in order to speed up.

Message 5 of 6
OmarGB9
Community Leader
Super Contributor

I echo the others and highly suggest waiting. I'd venture to say wait *at least* a year, if not two.

Last App: 1/10/2023
Penfed Gold Visa Card

Currently rebuilding as of 04/11/2019.

Starting FICO 8 Scores:

Current FICO 8 scores:

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.