Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

4th time Discover pre approval

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: 4th time Discover pre approval

I finally got a Discover, but I received mailers for years and was denied two or three times in the past.

Message 21 of 30
Anonymous
Not applicable

Disc declined me twice. Citi declined me too with 790 EX score, no derogs, 8.5 year AAOA, - 1% UTI, all because of INQ's. I have 10 EX INQ's. Chase, Cap One, Amex, SDFCU, Wells Fargo, and others all approved. 50K + in new approvals. But Disc & Citi are a no go. I won't waste another HP with either for 2 year's until I have 0 INQ's, and even than, I'll probably look elsewhere.
Message 22 of 30
Anonymous
Not applicable

I got lured in by the mailers.  Tried the first time, got turned down for the It but qualified for the secured card.  Didn't bite the first time.  Month later got another mailer, tried again.  Still only secured card, so since it doesn't report as secured, went ahead and got it as I'm rebuilding again.  Figure it has to do with my messing up with them when I was a college student years ago and didn't understand credit.  Got all those cards before they changed the law, but 2008-2009 was bad for alot of people including me.  Paid everything off, just waiting for rest of baddies to fall off.  After that, paid cash for everything, but when I got my car 2 years ago and got a horrible rate, realized I would have to get into the credit game again, so I have been working on getting back in with the different companies I burned.  Don't think Citi or Chase will be forgiving, but that's ok.  Amex forgave me and I just got in with SDFCU but won't bite for 6 months cause I don't want to upset Barclays.  Good luck, I know you will succeed.   

Message 23 of 30
Anonymous
Not applicable

Wooowww outstanding svore and limit!!! I will try to do the same as you, not apply for anything hopefully my score get on the 750's (fingers cross)
Message 24 of 30
Anonymous
Not applicable

well this has been very enlightening...i got one discover mailer a couple of weeks ago and was tempted to leave the garden again...i got the it card with max interest, 6 mos interest at 0 and a 1K lImit.  I guess should feel fortunate but my score took a hit for a card I really didn't need...mailers need to get trashed like my therapist says but I still do the same stupid things...at least I'm not gambling anymore and I make my payments on time-OK since 2013.  Before then, 46 late payments...tens of thousands of dollars in credit card debt charged off, hundreds of thousands of dollars lost to gambling...now I get excited saving 5% on a $10 purchase...at 54, I'm too old for this lifestyle-and for this forum.

Message 25 of 30
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

1. You need to stop applying for things...

2. Discover's "preapprovals" site is completely meaningless.

Total revolving limits 741200 (620700 reporting) FICO 8: EQ 703 TU 704 EX 687

Message 26 of 30
Anonymous
Not applicable

Indeed it is, and it took me 4 #*!&#€÷& to see it 😢
Message 27 of 30
Existentialist
Frequent Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
Indeed it is, and it took me 4 #*!&#€÷& to see it 😢

Question.... so next time U receive a pre-qualifier, email or log n2 myFico what are U going to do? U realize 'saying' you're going to stop isnt enuff right? Esp. when U admit to having little self control (lol). But hey... I understand. Still... time to get yourself a plan. Then afterwards.... get another plan. Feel me?

And please.... do not rely on 'garden' posts/'app rehab' posts herein to assist U.

I think its safe to say we all want U to be successful but realize there are some things you need to begin to take seriously.

Good luck going forward.

Message 28 of 30
Anonymous
Not applicable

Two words: Thin file......make sure you are not loaded up with TL if you are hoping to get approval with Discover. I was fortunate because they were only the second card I had ever applied for when I got approved. Was not a big line(1.5k)....and I had to explain the one inquiry for another card(VISA) to the guy who called me verifying info. Good luck next time. 

Message 29 of 30
Anonymous
Not applicable

I fell victim to the Discover pre approval  but not really scam too.  Last year one day I checked the website and it came up that I was pre-approved.  Submitted my application only to be denied. Two months later I got a mailer sent to my house that said again I was approved.  Had the code and all that to apply. I kept thinking to myself "but they just denied me the month before last".  Ok sure; but the mailer had me convinced that they now wanted me. Well you know how this story goes.  Run in the house with my pre-approved code to put it in with the application.  Couple seconds later.....BOOM denied again. Two hard pulls and nothing to show for it. This year when my scores were better and I knew that I could probably get in with a decent card I didn't even think about trying discover again and I don't know if I ever will. Instead I applied for two Amex cards and got them both. I also got a barclaycard. Between Amex and Barclay and also my Capital One, I think that I'm all set. I'm not sure if I'll ever try to get discover again.

Message 30 of 30
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.