Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

5/24 - Should I go for CSR or CFU?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

5/24 - Should I go for CSR or CFU?

I'm currently at 5/24; on December I will go down to 4/24. I want to open a Chase Freedom Unlimited and the CSR, which will be shared with my wife since the dinning and traveling is done together 95% of the time (we travel a lot). Options:

a) I wait until December to go below 5/24, get the CFU, and afterwards have my wife apply for the CSR, to which I would be added as AU.

b) Wait until December to go below 5/24, apply for the CSR and have my wife added as AU. I'd have to wait until May 2019 to be below 5/24 again to get the CFU. Only thing with this option is I'm not sure I'd get approved (1.3y aaoe, 760-770 FICOs).

c) Have my wife apply for CSR now and add me as AU. I'd be at 6/24. I wouldn't be below 5/24 until May 2019, moment which I'd apply for CFU

What is the more efficient way to go about this?

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

Re: 5/24 - Should I go for CSR or CFU?

On option 2, would your profile support the CSR? Meaning, do you have existing and/or established revolving tradelines with $10K or above? Income/DTI?

The AAoA may be borderline, but some profiles have overcome some of these hurdles.
Message 2 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

I have an Amex with $18,000 CL, and I'm AU in a MC with $17,000. Household income $200K approx.

Message 3 of 4
imaximous
Valued Contributor

Is your wife's profile stronger than yours? How's her 5/24 count?
If it's stronger and under 5/24, she wouldn't need to wait till December to get the card. She can go for it, start working towards meeting the SUB, and don't get added as an AU so it doesn't affect your 5/24 count. If you travel together, she can still get you in lounges if you have any upcoming travel plans.
In December, you can go for the FU since it's 'easier' to get, and then you can be added to the CSR if you want to.
Personally, I wouldn't pay for an AU fee on the CSR unless you travel and do a lot of spending separately to justify the additional fee. If you dine together and travel together all the time, then you could probably do with 1 card.
Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.