Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

5/24 explanation

tag
JLL2104
Contributor

5/24 explanation

Hi everyone, been a while. You guys helped me so much! So much that I haven't been on the boards in a while.

Want to join the Chase family but don't think I fall within the 5/24 rule. Does the '5' refer to inquiries or new accounts? 
I've also read Chase is loosening up on that rule. I get pre-selected offers in the mail about twice a week...from Chase. Just afraid to pull the trigger 

Message 1 of 17
16 REPLIES 16
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

Re: 5/24 explanation

@JLL2104 wrote:

Hi everyone, been a while. You guys helped me so much! So much that I haven't been on the boards in a while.

Want to join the Chase family but don't think I fall within the 5/24 rule. Does the '5' refer to inquiries or new accounts? 
I've also read Chase is loosening up on that rule. I get pre-selected offers in the mail about twice a week...from Chase. Just afraid to pull the trigger 

5 refers to opened accounts. 5/24 still going strong to me, rejections still my forteSmiley Wink

Message 2 of 17
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

@JLL2104 wrote:

It means 5 new revolving accounts within prior 24 months. Has nothing to do with inquiries.

Chase is not loosening the rule.  But if you are preapproved for a card, that will often overcome the 5/24 rule.

Total revolving limits 741200 (620700 reporting) FICO 8: EQ 703 TU 704 EX 687

Message 3 of 17
OmarGB9
Community Leader
Super Contributor

It has already been covered by others, but yes, 5/24 refers to credit accounts, not inquiries. 

Also, be careful of offers you get in the mail, they're usually just marketing. 

Last App: 1/10/2023
Penfed Gold Visa Card

Currently rebuilding as of 04/11/2019.

Starting FICO 8 Scores:

Current FICO 8 scores:

Message 4 of 17
JLL2104
Contributor

Thanks everyone! What's the best way to tell if I'm at 5/24? Look at inquiries, right? Also, what does Chase pull? Is it possible to be above 5/24 with one agency and below on another? Make sense? 

Message 5 of 17
JLL2104
Contributor

Also, Chase doesn't have a pre-qual tool that I know of. Is that accurate? 

Message 6 of 17
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

@JLL2104 wrote:

Also, Chase doesn't have a pre-qual tool that I know of. Is that accurate? 

Correct.

The only pre-qualifications from Chase will be in the form of a pre-approved offer online (i.e. 'Just for you' -- green stars/black stars) or by visiting a branch. As mentioned upthread, any offers you may receive by mail are just marketing.

Message 7 of 17
TRC_WA
Senior Contributor

@SouthJamaica wrote:

@JLL2104 wrote:

It means 5 new revolving accounts within prior 24 months. Has nothing to do with inquiries.

Chase is not loosening the rule.  But if you are preapproved for a card, that will often overcome the 5/24 rule.

Chase will be the first cards I apply for when my Ch 13 baddies fall off in the next 16-20 months because I will have 0 new accounts in the last 24 months at that time.

FICO8 current as of : 4-17-24 EQ: 724 TU: 707 EX: 706
Hard INQs last 12 months: EQ: 5 | TU: 8 | EX: 9
Verizon Visa $8500 Amex Delta Reserve $10,000 Care Credit $18,000
NFCU CashRewards $7500 Apple Card $7000 Best Buy $8000 Amazon $5000
NFCU auto loan (2022 Ford Bronco Sport Badlands - Cactus Gray) 6.95%
NFCU motorcycle loan (2024 Harley Davidson Road Glide - Alpine Green & Chrome) 9.45%
Total CL: $64,000 --- Total CC UTI: 27% --- AAoA: 5.5 years --- Income: $200k
Last app: 4-6-24
Message 8 of 17
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

@TRC_WA wrote:

@SouthJamaica wrote:

@JLL2104 wrote:

Chase will be the first cards I apply for when my Ch 13 baddies fall off in the next 16-20 months because I will have 0 new accounts in the last 24 months at that time.

@TRC_WA- even if negatives drop off at that point in time, Chase will not approve any applications with the presence of BK on reports. Their BK policy has fluctuated over the years.

Message 9 of 17
TRC_WA
Senior Contributor

@FinStar wrote:

@TRC_WA- even if negatives drop off at that point in time, Chase will not approve any applications with the presence of BK on reports. Their BK policy has fluctuated over the years.

My Ch 13 filed in Feb 2017 falls off in Feb 2024... possibly sooner with EE.  That's when I was planning on applying...

... Unless you are telling me that Chase won't approve anyone who has ever filed BK in their lifetime?  

FICO8 current as of : 4-17-24 EQ: 724 TU: 707 EX: 706
Hard INQs last 12 months: EQ: 5 | TU: 8 | EX: 9
Verizon Visa $8500 Amex Delta Reserve $10,000 Care Credit $18,000
NFCU CashRewards $7500 Apple Card $7000 Best Buy $8000 Amazon $5000
NFCU auto loan (2022 Ford Bronco Sport Badlands - Cactus Gray) 6.95%
NFCU motorcycle loan (2024 Harley Davidson Road Glide - Alpine Green & Chrome) 9.45%
Total CL: $64,000 --- Total CC UTI: 27% --- AAoA: 5.5 years --- Income: $200k
Last app: 4-6-24
Message 10 of 17
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.