tag
Meanmchine
Super Contributor

850 FICO score and still not preapproved

Currently I have a checking and savings with Wells Fargo

Also Im 1/12 5/24 with 1 EX inq

Checked my free Fico score

Screenshot 2023-01-23 at 21-39-15 FICO® Score.png

My very first 850 score ( not counting Fico 900 models )

I then checked my preapprovals and got this

Screenshot 2023-01-23 at 21-42-23 Find Your Credit Card Offer Wells Fargo.png

I guess theres no Autograph card for me in the foreseeable future

>3/2016 EX 644 CK-TU 642 CK-EQ 660 WalMart- 671.
>5/2023 All 3 reports 840ish (F8) F9s = 850 but my app finger is still twitching
Message 1 of 17
16 REPLIES 16
fury1995
Valued Contributor

Re: 850 FICO score and still not preapproved

I'm 849 on EX FICO08 with over $400k income and 2% reporting on $500k available and not many preapprovals come my way either but I'm almost always approved for anything I apply for. Wells Fargo never prequals me. If you need the card for spending structure, you shouldn't be too concerned about the prequal. Since you already have an existing relationship, you probably might consider apping in person or with a phone CSR and recon the approval or line all at one time.

August 28, 2023 FICO 8

August 28, 2023 FICO BankCard 8

August 28, 2023 FICO Auto 8

citi-costco-ImgurCiti-Double-Cash
Message 2 of 17
OmarGB9
Community Leader
Super Contributor

@Meanmchine wrote:

I guess theres no Autograph card for in in the foreseeable future

I'm pretty sure you'd get approved anyway. Smiley Wink

Last App: 1/10/2023
Penfed Gold Visa Card

Currently rebuilding as of 04/11/2019.

Starting FICO 8 Scores:

Current FICO 8 scores:

Message 3 of 17
Meanmchine
Super Contributor

@OmarGB9 wrote:

@Meanmchine wrote:

Dont be so sure ......... Ive danced this dance before.

https://www.reddit.com/r/CreditCards/comments/lpx9ua/840_ex9_score_pulled_and_denied_for_wf_propel/

Thanks guys for then words of encouragement

>3/2016 EX 644 CK-TU 642 CK-EQ 660 WalMart- 671.
>5/2023 All 3 reports 840ish (F8) F9s = 850 but my app finger is still twitching
Message 4 of 17
sznthescore
Established Contributor

Lol I cackled at the comment on Reddit "I could probably teach it" statement on the enrollment of Financial-Health program. 😂

REBUILDER CARDS

Goal: FICO 700+
Message 5 of 17
OmarGB9
Community Leader
Super Contributor

@Meanmchine wrote:

@OmarGB9 wrote:

@Meanmchine wrote:

Dont be so sure ......... Ive danced this dance before.

https://www.reddit.com/r/CreditCards/comments/lpx9ua/840_ex9_score_pulled_and_denied_for_wf_propel/

Thanks guys for then words of encouragement

Well, the good news is that lately they seem to be a bit more generous/lax on UW.

Last App: 1/10/2023
Penfed Gold Visa Card

Currently rebuilding as of 04/11/2019.

Starting FICO 8 Scores:

Current FICO 8 scores:

Message 6 of 17
805orbust
Valued Contributor

@Meanmchine ditto on the "teaching" comment... hilarious!  I'm definitely not the one to measure it out with DP's however I'm convinced that these issuers view the 850 crowd as money losers and that's why we see these anomalies. Creditworthiness off the charts but not a dollar to be made.

That or some other closely related reason as yet undefined.

Message 7 of 17
CreditCuriosity
Moderator Emeritus

You aren't the only person denied with 850 scores happened to LTL and well not an 850 score but 800 scores with me a few times.  The issue is you likely haven't had enough cards with balances in the last 6 months which they use for trending compared to all cards.  Basically I see it as a way to see if they possibly make money off of you or not for that one reason code on your reddit post.  I got the same message along with longtimelurker and many others.  I honestly think they would deny you again if you only have 1 or 2 cards with small balances on them.  How they word it is really confusing and doesn't make sense when it is just the inverse of how they word it.   It should be something like too many cards with to little/no balance over the last 6 months or something along those lines.  WF is the only major lender I haven't been able to crack yet with or without a checjing acct. and not willing to pay interest on CC's across many accounts or let 10 or so of my accounts post with a balance and pay shortly thereafter.  Some things just really aren't worth it.  Although annoying, other then bonuses WF CC's really offer nothing special to most.

Message 8 of 17
CYBERSAM
Senior Contributor

@CreditCuriosity wrote:

You aren't the only person denied with 850 scores happened to LTL and well not an 850 score but 800 scores with me a few times.  The issue is you likely haven't had enough cards with balances in the last 6 months which they use for trending compared to all cards.  Basically I see it as a way to see if they possibly make money off of you or not for that one reason code on your reddit post.  I got the same message along with longtimelurker and many others.  I honestly think they would deny you again if you only have 1 or 2 cards with small balances on them.  How they word it is really confusing and doesn't make sense when it is just the inverse of how they word it.   It should be something like too many cards with to little/no balance over the last 6 months or something along those lines.  WF is the only major lender I haven't been able to crack yet with or without a checjing acct. and not willing to pay interest on CC's across many accounts or let 10 or so of my accounts post with a balance and pay shortly thereafter.  Some things just really aren't worth it.  Although annoying, other then bonuses WF CC's really offer nothing special to most.

wow! Very interesting insight and this would explain why WF sends me preapproval mailer for Autograph and other cards almost every month!

Currently I have 11 cards that are reporting balances as they are set with auto payments to pay statement balance and I like to use my cards.

Glad to see some banks like the way I do it!

Message 9 of 17
Bill77
Regular Contributor

It's been a couple of years but I wasn't approved for a Propel card with a 843 Fico.  Reason was something along the lines of not carrying balances on existing cards.  

Message 10 of 17
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.