Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

A Big Fat NO from Ms Disco

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

A Big Fat NO from Ms Disco

Coming down from the high of that nice auto CLI from Cap 1, I decided 11/11 to ask for a CLI from Ms Disco and she said NO. Just got my letter saying the reason why I didn't get an increase is due to low usage of existing line. Oh ok. 2/20/20 I asked and got $1,050 for a total of $3,800. Asked 5/18/20, 8/21/20 and now 11/11/21 and still no. TU score was 767. I consistently use the card every month with a spend of a few hundreds and PIF after the statement cuts. I'm working on an increasing my income substancially in 2022 to start putting at least a spend of a thousand on my cards. To think that my Cap1 and Disco cards are now neck and neck in CL is not something I thought would happen. 3,700 and 3,800.

Message 1 of 13
12 REPLIES 12
SoCalGardener
Valued Contributor

Re: A Big Fat NO from Ms Disco

@Anonymous wrote:

Coming down from the high of that nice auto CLI from Cap 1, I decided 11/11 to ask for a CLI from Ms Disco and she said NO. Just got my letter saying the reason why I didn't get an increase is due to low usage of existing line. Oh ok. 2/20/20 I asked and got $1,050 for a total of $3,800. Asked 5/18/20, 8/21/20 and now 11/11/21 and still no. TU score was 767. I consistently use the card every month with a spend of a few hundreds and PIF after the statement cuts. I'm working on an increasing my income substancially in 2022 to start putting at least a spend of a thousand on my cards. To think that my Cap1 and Disco cards are now neck and neck in CL is not something I thought would happen. 3,700 and 3,800.

If this is any consolation, Discover seems to have VERY ODD reasons for approving/not approving CLIs. Like you, I tried and tried and tried....and always got denied. The most frequent reason was the one you noted, not enough use of existing credit. Then, earlier this year, with nothing SUBSTANTIAL changing, I got a nice increase approved! I had been using the card regularly, but not for large amounts, all along; I do recall ramping that up a little just prior to getting approved, but never, ever using a large amount of available credit. Go figure!

My best advice is to continue using the card, ramp up your spending on it if that makes sense in your overall picture, wait a few months and try again. No promises, but that might work.

Amazon Prime Store CardAmerican Express Blue Cash Preferred CardAmerican Express Everyday CardBank of America Customized Cash VisaCapitalOne Quicksilver MastercardCapitalOne Quicksilver VisaCapitalOne Walmart Rewards MastercardChevron Texaco CardCiti Double Cash MastercardDiscover More CardJCPenney Gold MastercardOverstock.com CardSportsmans Guide Rewards VisaSynchrony Home Card
Message 2 of 13
4sallypat
Valued Contributor

Don't feel bad, I have been denied since credit was opened over 8 years ago.

Same SL - CLI always denied due to lack of use.

It's my sock drawered card - never will get used.....

Message 3 of 13
Oops_I_Did_It_Again
Regular Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

If you only have one Discover Card, you might find that you can get a better limit if you apply for a second (Disco allows a max of two, last I heard).  I have rarely gotten CLIs from Disco, and was and still am still stuck at limit of 2,800 on my first card.  I tried the on-line pre-qualification and was approved, so continued the process (resulting in a HP on EX) and got a new Discover IT was SL of 5,000.00.  The APR was much better also.

And of course there is the wonderfulness of 2x cashback at the end of the first year all over again.

Credit Profile (FEB 2024)
F8 EX 767 EQ 770, TU 773, F8 BC EX 784, EQ BC 789, F9 EX 777
TCL: $124,200, reporting available: $120,995
cc utilization: 3%, auto loan: $5,456/$6850
AoOA 5Y 9M, AAoA 3Y 3M, AoYA 7M
new cc accounts 3/24, 2/12, 0/6, 0/3, INQs 12 months EX 2, EQ 1, TU 1

Personal Cards (15)
Chase/Amazon Prime Visa, Freedom Unlimited, Bank of America CCR, American Express BCP+CM, GS Apple Card (MC)
PenFed PC Rewards, Citibank DoubleCash, Discover IT + BT, Regions Cash Rewards, Wells Fargo AC, CapOne QS, Synchrony PPMC +
Closed (1): Synchony Amazon Prime

Business Cards (1)
American Express BBC
Message 4 of 13
Yasselife
Valued Contributor

@SoCalGardener 

Hi; how long did you have Disco before you were approved for a Limit increase?

Message 5 of 13
Yasselife
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous 

I don't understand the mindset behind of *I want to increase my income so I can put thousands on my cards* by this, do you mean, you'll have more money available to afford things you don't have right now? try no to feel pleasure on spending just to go after rewards and limit increases, don't allow the cards to put pressure on buying neither. See joy in paying yourself by saving; that's your best and only "financial friend".

Message 6 of 13
SoCalGardener
Valued Contributor

@Yasselife wrote:

@SoCalGardener 

Hi; how long did you have Disco before you were approved for a Limit increase?

That's kind of hard to answer! I inherited this card when my mother died in 2013; she'd had it since 1991. I've explained this all in detail elsewhere, so I'll be brief. When I got the card, my credit wasn't in great shape, and they had to lower the CL from what my mom had. At some point they gave me an auto-CLI, though I don't recall offhand when that was. I'd have to check my records to be sure about this, but I THINK it just sat there from that point forward; every CLI I requested was denied for the 'insufficient use of existing credit' reason. Then, a few months ago, I tried again and voila! Success! My CL still isn't as high as Mom's, but at least it's back in 5 figures, so I'm happy! Smiley Very Happy

Amazon Prime Store CardAmerican Express Blue Cash Preferred CardAmerican Express Everyday CardBank of America Customized Cash VisaCapitalOne Quicksilver MastercardCapitalOne Quicksilver VisaCapitalOne Walmart Rewards MastercardChevron Texaco CardCiti Double Cash MastercardDiscover More CardJCPenney Gold MastercardOverstock.com CardSportsmans Guide Rewards VisaSynchrony Home Card
Message 7 of 13
slither43
Regular Contributor

Disco showing me no love either, for the same reason. I get the "insufficient use" reason if I don't use it at all or if I max it out that month. I PIF so maybe they want me to carry a balance...or Disco hates me. haha

Message 8 of 13
TSlop
Valued Contributor

I stopped asking because I kept getting the same denial. Admittedly, I barely use the card. Groceries would typically be my biggest quarter, but this year I was working on 1 year of 5% with my CFU. Without the grocery quarter, it probably only gets a couple hundred a month at most. I currently have a $1.05 balance, so I guess they have a point....

Message 9 of 13
CreditInspired
Community Leader
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Coming down from the high of that nice auto CLI from Cap 1, I decided 11/11 to ask for a CLI from Ms Disco and she said NO. Just got my letter saying the reason why I didn't get an increase is due to low usage of existing line. Oh ok. 2/20/20 I asked and got $1,050 for a total of $3,800. Asked 5/18/20, 8/21/20 and now 11/11/21 and still no. TU score was 767. I consistently use the card every month with a spend of a few hundreds and PIF after the statement cuts. I'm working on an increasing my income substancially in 2022 to start putting at least a spend of a thousand on my cards. To think that my Cap1 and Disco cards are now neck and neck in CL is not something I thought would happen. 3,700 and 3,800.

Increasing your income--good!

In order to put more spend on a card--bad!

Don't even think of doing this, unless the spend is organic!

|| AmX Cash Magnet $40.5K || NFCU CashRewards $30K || Discover IT $24.7K || Macys $24.2K || NFCU CLOC $15K || NFCU Platinum $15K || CitiCostco $12.7K || Chase FU $12.7K || Apple Card $7K || BOA CashRewards $6K
Message 10 of 13
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.