Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

A question about applying for a cc at NFCU

tag
SUPERSQUID
Valued Contributor

A question about applying for a cc at NFCU

If you apply for lets say the cash rewards and get denied do they automatically offer the nrewards under the same hard pull?

DISCLAIMER - When i ask a question on the forum it in no way indicates any action by me, perhaps i'm curious about a certain issue and will store the info in my memory bank and possibly use it some time in the future or maybe never. there may be other members that will use this info now.

{ BK7 DC 12/2019 } target 1600/ kohls Visa 7000/ discover IT cb 6500 / 2nd discover IT cb 6000/mercury 4100 / firestone 2800 /legacy 3000 /first savings bank cc 3000/ cap1 QS 5000/ cap 1 savor one 3100 /Bread rewards Amex 4k, Penfed PCR signature visa 10k/ penfed gold 7.5k NFCU >signature visa cash rewards 21700/bread cashback amex 8000

>/ nfcu platinum 15k, BABY NEEDS NEW SHOES !!!!!
closed-- reflex, applied bank, first digital, mission lane, ikea, fingerhut, big lots, valero gasoline, ollo, more to come
Rebuilding since September 2020
who i burned - chase, cap 1, TD bank, Sync, were the biggies
Income 40k
Total utilization around 20 pct depending on my current usage/needs
Ficos in the 680 - 690 range, the 9's slightly higher than the 8's
My vantage scores 708 - 711
TCL - about 110k
Retired since 2017
Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
collics
Established Contributor

Re: A question about applying for a cc at NFCU

I applied several diff times and never once was offered secured. 

I'd advise to attempt recon if denied. That's how I got my first approval which was More Rewards.

BK 7 Discharged May 2014. Removal Feb 2024! Let the countdown begin!!
Last App: Apr 2023
Newest to Oldest:

FICO8s Dec 2019

FICO8s Oct 31 2023
Message 2 of 10
SUPERSQUID
Valued Contributor

@collics wrote:

I'd advise to attempt recon if denied. That's how I got my first approval which was More RewardsRight R

Right now the prequal says only nrewards, after dec i am 2 years post bk and maybe it will change.

Here comes the chorus of nfcu prequal tool is unreliable, i know already.

{ BK7 DC 12/2019 } target 1600/ kohls Visa 7000/ discover IT cb 6500 / 2nd discover IT cb 6000/mercury 4100 / firestone 2800 /legacy 3000 /first savings bank cc 3000/ cap1 QS 5000/ cap 1 savor one 3100 /Bread rewards Amex 4k, Penfed PCR signature visa 10k/ penfed gold 7.5k NFCU >signature visa cash rewards 21700/bread cashback amex 8000

closed-- reflex, applied bank, first digital, mission lane, ikea, fingerhut, big lots, valero gasoline, ollo, more to come
Income 40k
TCL - about 110k
Retired since 2017
Message 3 of 10
NotRalphKramden
New Contributor

@SUPERSQUID wrote:

@collics wrote:

I'd advise to attempt recon if denied. That's how I got my first approval which was More RewardsRight R

Right now the prequal says only nrewards, after dec i am 2 years post bk and maybe it will change.

When I joined NFCU, The Pre-qual showed only nRewards. I apped and was accepted Dec 2020. Mid June 2021 it graduated, and got CLI to $2000.

Pre-qual still showed nRewards only. In Sep 2021, at 2 years post bk7,  I applied for More Rewards card and was approved for $25,000. Pre-qual still shows only  nRewards. That has been my experience. Others may have different results.

Message 4 of 10
SUPERSQUID
Valued Contributor

@NotRalphKramden wrote:

@SUPERSQUID wrote:

@collics wrote:

When I joined NFCU, The Pre-qual showed only nRewards. I apped and was accepted Dec 2020. Mid June 2021 it graduated, and got CLI to $2000.

Pre-qual still showed nRewards only. In Sep 2021, at 2 years post bk7,  I applied for More Rewards card and was approved for $25,000. Pre-qual still shows only  nRewards. That has been my experience. Others may have different results.

Thank you, that info is what most people dont know, excellent.

Income 40k
TCL - about 110k
Retired since 2017
Message 5 of 10
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

@SUPERSQUID wrote:

@NotRalphKramden wrote:

@SUPERSQUID wrote:

@collics wrote:

That similar piece of advice was shared in both NFCU mega-threads.

Message 6 of 10
SUPERSQUID
Valued Contributor

@FinStar wrote:

@SUPERSQUID wrote:

@NotRalphKramden wrote:

@SUPERSQUID wrote:

@collics wrote:

My head is spinning from all the NFCU posts i've read. Thanks for the heads up anyway. at some point i will app for an NFCU card, it could be 2022 or 2023 theres no rush but any info is helpful.

I am on the fence wether i will go for the nrewards and go through that way or cold app for the cash rewards.

Thats why i asked if you app for the cr will they automatically counter with nrewards under the same hp. right now they offer me nrewards but after dec im post 2 yrs bk7 and i read they loosen up a little 2 years out from bk

Income 40k
TCL - about 110k
Retired since 2017
Message 7 of 10
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

@SUPERSQUID wrote:

@FinStar wrote:

@SUPERSQUID wrote:

@NotRalphKramden wrote:

@SUPERSQUID wrote:

@collics wrote:

My head is spinning from all the NFCU posts i've read. Thanks for the heads up anyway. at some point i will app for an NFCU card, it could be 2022 or 2023 theres no rush but any info is helpful.

I am on the fence wether i will go for the nrewards and go through that way or cold app for the cash rewards.

Thats why i asked if you app for the cr will they automatically counter with nrewards under the same hp. right now they offer me nrewards but after dec im post 2 yrs bk7 and i read they loosen up a little 2 years out from bk

My understanding (on the bolded piece), is that if they can match everything from the previous application when you call them; then yes they have been known to re-use the same HP, but it has to be done within a short amount of time. I'm sure some members will chime in (or correct me) on that particular experience.

I'm thinking, if you don't go bananas on more apps Smiley TongueSmiley Wink between now and whenever you decide in 2022 (or 2023) you'd likely won't have to go the nRewards route. You could likely be approved for any of them (except maybe Flagship). So, just make sure everything looks pretty before you apply -- things like no recent HPs or new tradelines, low utilization, DTI, and things like that.

Message 8 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

@collics I started off with a N Rewards because I was scared to pull the trigger with the cash rewards card. My N Rewards haven’t graduated yet and it’s been 8 months.

Message 9 of 10
OmarGB9
Community Leader
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@collics I started off with a N Rewards because I was scared to pull the trigger with the cash rewards card. My N Rewards haven’t graduated yet and it’s been 8 months.

My nRewards took 13 months to graduate.

Last App: 1/10/2023
Penfed Gold Visa Card

Currently rebuilding as of 04/11/2019.

Starting FICO 8 Scores:

Current FICO 8 scores:

Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.