cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AMEX 2nd card Pre-Approvals (Help Wanted Please)

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: AMEX 2nd card Pre-Approvals (Help Wanted Please)

@coldfusion wrote:

That is a good question, I actually originally wanted the marriot but not the annual fee. My first pre-approval with AMEX a little over a month ago was for the delta gold but I already have a ton of aadvantage points with my citi card so didn't need it so I decided to app cold (with the preapproval for a similar tier card) for the HHoonors as I needed a hotel card. 

My real goal has always been the SPG as I love Aloft hotels. But that card dissapeared before I got my credit together. I also was not (and am still not) willing to do the 450$ annual fee for the personal card but realized I could get a business card as a sole proprietor possibly. 

If I have already jumped in with hilton is it unwise to get points from another hotel?

Message 11 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous 

Yea I really wanted the ED for the balance transfer offer. Not sure if there are better options.

Message 12 of 13
PackAttack07
Established Member

Be forewarned that there is one more hurdle you need to overcome beyond the pre-approval. I think you'll be fine given your current card, but I had every card preapproved and consistently get mail offers but upon actually applying for a Cash Magnet card that I had been eyeing for a long time, I got the dreaded "Due to your history of xyz, we are unable to offer the Welcome Bonus, Intro APR, or Intro plan fees. Do you want to continue?" message.

The difference is I have an Amex BCP (3 years old) and an ED (16 months old), so apparently having had a cash reward card and/or MR where you used a BT to get 0% can get you flagged for some reason. AMEX also recently lowered their allowed BT limit from $7,500 to $5,000 (although the terms only sometimes state this) so would appear they're discouraging using any. If you are unlucky enough to experience my problem, it would only be a soft pull denial provided you're signed in.

Message 13 of 13
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.