Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AMEX 3x CLI

tag
cyrusvalentino
Frequent Contributor

AMEX 3x CLI

First and foremost let me say thank you to anyone who can help or assist with any information. So my situation, I'm currently paying down my Capital One from 99% utilization due to hurricane florence as we were under mandatory evacuation. So that may factor into what I'm about to explain; My score dropped significantly with the higher utilization as when interest hit it was reported at 104% utilization. Next report that will be corrected of course but doesn't fix right now.

So I've got a AMEX Delta Skymiles Credit Card, it was initally approved w/ SL of $1,000. The card was received and has been used responsibly since June 2018 with balance being paid below 30%. As of today October 14th I've tried the 3x CLI trick before my utilization was over limit with the CAP1 and after, but it hasn't been approved nor has any CLI. What bothers me with this is Discover increase me from $800 to $1,000 this month automatically but nothing from AMEX even on request. Any pointers based on those who know AMEX better, and how long I should wait or do. Thank you again for anyone who can give pointers or suggestions.

Starting Score (12/01/2021):

Current Score (03/01/2022):

Goal Score (01/01/2023):

Other Stats:

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: AMEX 3x CLI

it could have a lot to do with your experian score whats your current ex fico

Message 2 of 5
cyrusvalentino
Frequent Contributor

My current Experian FICO with the over the limit reporting from CAP1 until the 23rdish when my payment that brought it down to below 20% reports is 614, at that point it should go back up to what it was previously of 650 but even then when I tried the 3x CLI it was declined. They stated FICO score as reason on denial letter both times, but I’m just curious what that lucky number is or if I should just wait as when I was approved my experian FICO was only 636 and it’s higher than that normally and was when I initially applied for the 3x CLI at 650.

Starting Score (12/01/2021):

Current Score (03/01/2022):

Goal Score (01/01/2023):

Other Stats:

Message 3 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Its unlikely that you will get a CLI for any amount from American Express until your Experian score goes above sub-prime aka "Fair" category.  That occurs when you score goes above 670.  Amex will take chances and grant credit to people with marginal scores who wouldn't normally qualify for their credit cards but they expect you to show improvement in your scores over time.  From what you're saying your scores haven't improved since June; instead they have declined.

Also, given your small initial credit line and marginal scores, it would generally take 180 days before you're granted a CLI.  So you'll likely get one in February 2019 assuming your credit scores improve.

Message 4 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Scores aside, what is the exact date of Amex account opening and the 2 CLI requests? Assuming your first request was 61 days after the account opening, you have to wait 91 days after the first denial before you can request again, I suspect you pulled the trigger too early on the 2nd request as there simple aren't enough time since the account was opened in June.
Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.