Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AMEX 50K Bonus 1K Spending / AF Waived Link

tag
merlinflex
Frequent Contributor

Re: AMEX 50K Bonus 1K Spending / AF Waived Link

Agreed, a little out of the ordinary, but I see that on the FICO forums, as it relates to Amex CLI, people are reporting getting CLIs over $25K with no FR and before the "magical" 61 days and things like that.  Maybe Amex's new VP of Risk is trying some new models???  Smiley Happy

I got the Amex BCE earlier this month, approved on 1-9-2015 for $10K, and still have not received. It shows on my portal when I login and I got an email saying approved and another one saying it was registered and I would get an email when it was shipped and that the AU card, my wife's, would be sent seperately.  Never got the email saying it was shipped, odd but maybe that happens,  Guess if I do not get by end of next week, will call in.

@Anonymous wrote:

@merlinflex wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@merlinflex wrote:

But now, thinking that since the Amex PRG is a different account number and back dated to 1990, that will help my AAoA, thoughts anyone??

It will for sure. 

Now, I am not sure what they did in your case. They opened up a new account with a SP and gave you 25k MR? I would be very surprised if that happened. In my head there are only three possibilities here

- Product change, no bonus, no pull

- New product, HP, 50k (if that is the link you clicked on)

- New product, HP, 25k if they for whatever reason didn't want to give you the 50k (I would push if this is the case)

I would say the third one is the closest one.  But the CSR said no HP, just SP?  I have all credit reports locked and did not unlock, however, I believe that since I am already a Amex customer, they can access anyone and a SP pretty much has the info as a HP, more or less.

The CSR said 25K bonus points was all I could get, took her first name and service ID number and took a screen shot of the chat conversation. 

That's tempting for me to try.  Getting another 25K for a SP is certainly worth it but it does seem surprising that they are doing that

Message 91 of 157
Anonymous
Not applicable

This is TRULY tempting to get this card for the 50k MR points! I can add those MR points to my Plat points and then close it when the AF hits. 

Decisions decisions....I better think quick!

Message 92 of 157
IcEWoLF
Frequent Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

This is TRULY tempting to get this card for the 50k MR points! I can add those MR points to my Plat points and then close it when the AF hits. 

Better do it quick before it goes away, this offer only comes once or twice a year unless you get a mailer from them...

EQ: 768 TU: 769 EXP: 805
Ritz Carlton: 18k
CSP: 7K | Chase Freedom: 5.7K
MERRILL+® VS: 9K | BOA AMEX: 1K
BOA 123: 7K Discover IT: 6K | Discover Chrome 4K | Costco AMEX: 15K | AMEX PRG NPSL | AMEX BCE 15K | Barclay NFL: 4.9K | Citi TYP 7K | Amazon Chase 1.7K | Barclaycard Arrival Plus WEMC 5K | Citi DC 5K | FNBO AMEX 4.8K | CAP 1 QS 10K | U.S. Bank Cash+ VS 5K |U.S. Bank Perks+ VS 6K
Message 93 of 157
IcEWoLF
Frequent Contributor

If this thread helped you and  you applied for the card and getting the 50k bonus feel free to Kudos OP (Me) Smiley Happy

EQ: 768 TU: 769 EXP: 805
Ritz Carlton: 18k
CSP: 7K | Chase Freedom: 5.7K
MERRILL+® VS: 9K | BOA AMEX: 1K
BOA 123: 7K Discover IT: 6K | Discover Chrome 4K | Costco AMEX: 15K | AMEX PRG NPSL | AMEX BCE 15K | Barclay NFL: 4.9K | Citi TYP 7K | Amazon Chase 1.7K | Barclaycard Arrival Plus WEMC 5K | Citi DC 5K | FNBO AMEX 4.8K | CAP 1 QS 10K | U.S. Bank Cash+ VS 5K |U.S. Bank Perks+ VS 6K
Message 94 of 157
FocusedAndDetermined
Senior Contributor

@merlinflex wrote:

Agreed, a little out of the ordinary, but I see that on the FICO forums, as it relates to Amex CLI, people are reporting getting CLIs over $25K with no FR and before the "magical" 61 days and things like that.  Maybe Amex's new VP of Risk is trying some new models???  Smiley Happy

I got the Amex BCE earlier this month, approved on 1-9-2015 for $10K, and still have not received. It shows on my portal when I login and I got an email saying approved and another one saying it was registered and I would get an email when it was shipped and that the AU card, my wife's, would be sent seperately.  Never got the email saying it was shipped, odd but maybe that happens,  Guess if I do not get by end of next week, will call in.

I was approved for the ED on 12/30.  Received approval email, registered acct. email and bank acct enrollment confirmation email, but never received a "card has shipped" email.  Card arrived on 01/06.
Message 95 of 157
Anonymous
Not applicable

@IcEWoLF wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Better do it quick before it goes away, this offer only comes once or twice a year unless you get a mailer from them...

Here is my delimna:

I have opened an Amex Plat and Ritz last month, and I might need a balance transfer card (Chase Slate). I am worried that if I do open the Slate and PRG this month that I would have opened four new accounts within two months and that would trigger account closures from Citi or Chase and possibly a FR from Amex. I guess what I am hoping to see if I am being paranoid and should just for the two cards and not worry since I will DEFINITELY be gardening after this offer. OR do I just wait until this come back around at the end of the year to pounce on it? I just do not want to deal with any account closures or FRs.  

I am looking for some advice from my fellow myFICO members. 

Message 96 of 157
Anonymous
Not applicable

@IcEWoLF wrote:

If this thread helped you and  you applied for the card and getting the 50k bonus feel free to Kudos OP (Me) Smiley Happy

Beggar 😀. I gave you kudos from my g/f as I was able to get the card for her with the 50K.  She already had the Delta Amex but she confirmed in chat the 50K offer..  Thanks!

Message 97 of 157
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for the link! Could not get it to work with Chrome incognito, but loaded Internet Explorer, cleared cache and got it to work. This offer was good enough for me to leave the garden early.

Message 98 of 157
NRB525
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@IcEWoLF wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Here is my delimna:

I have opened an Amex Plat and Ritz last month, and I might need a balance transfer card (Chase Slate). I am worried that if I do open the Slate and PRG this month that I would have opened four new accounts within two months and that would trigger account closures from Citi or Chase and possibly a FR from Amex. I guess what I am hoping to see if I am being paranoid and should just for the two cards and not worry since I will DEFINITELY be gardening after this offer. OR do I just wait until this come back around at the end of the year to pounce on it? I just do not want to deal with any account closures or FRs.  

The other concern with this offer is, if you look at the fine print behind it, they have a lot of weasel words included:

If we identify you as currently having an American Express® Card account, you may not be eligible for this welcome bonus offer. This offer is also not available to applicants who have or have had this product.

Given that you have a Platinum already, they may pull the rug out from under those points. The "An American Express Card" is sufficiently vague that I'm not going to apply because I have a Delta Gold card. I'm guessing nearly any Centurion Bank issued card will be a potential reason.

High Bal Jan 2009 $116k on $146k limits 80% Util.
Oct 2014 $46k on $127k 36% util EQ 722 TU 727 EX 727
April 2018 $18k on $344k 5% util EQ 806 TU 810 EX 812
Jan 2019 $7.6k on $360k EQ 832 TU 839 EX 831
March 2021 $33k on $312k EQ 796 TU 798 EX 801
May 2021 Paid all Installments and Mortgages, one new Mortgage EQ 761 TY 774 EX 777
April 2022 EQ=811 TU=807 EX=805 - TU VS 3.0 765
Message 99 of 157
Anonymous
Not applicable

@NRB525 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@IcEWoLF wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Here is my delimna:

The other concern with this offer is, if you look at the fine print behind it, they have a lot of weasel words included:

If we identify you as currently having an American Express® Card account, you may not be eligible for this welcome bonus offer. This offer is also not available to applicants who have or have had this product.

Given that you have a Platinum already, they may pull the rug out from under those points. The "An American Express Card" is sufficiently vague that I'm not going to apply because I have a Delta Gold card. I'm guessing nearly any Centurion Bank issued card will be a potential reason.

The problem is that Amex has in the past considered a person eligible for a promo if they haven't had the exact same card in the past. So for this promo, that would mean that a persom would be ineligble only if they've had a PRG, and not any other Amex card.

If they've decided to change that policy and they're now going to enforce a true one time in a lifetime policy across ALL Amex cards, it's going to result in a lot of upset customers. And all of these upset customers will have not paid Amex a cent when they find out that they won't be receiving the promo. (first year AF waived) It's going to be up to Amex if they value keeping customers around willing pay AFs in the future over giving out MR points.

Message 100 of 157
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.