cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AMEX Approvals after a FR

Estimate your FICO® Score range for free

FICO® Score Estimator

Auto Loans for ANY Credit Situation. Immediate Response.
Advertiser disclosure
Regular Contributor

AMEX Approvals after a FR

I got approved with AMEX in April of 2018, for the AMEX Gold and AMEX Delta Business Card.

In May I got hit with a Financial Review because I used my card through PayPal a few times and they questioned my purchases.

I complied with the FR and 2 weeks later I was back up and running, with $3100 Pre-Set limits on both the Personal and Business Card.

My question is, It's been a year, but the Pre-Set limit has not been lifted yet, I applied for another Business Card for another business of mine and was denied.  Is there an unspoken rule of when I will be able to get another AMEX?

My FICO is higher now than what it was a year ago, but I feel like I won't get another approval until the Pre-Set limit is lifted from my cards.

My income is strong $120,000 a year and my Utilization is 18%, I have perfect payments with AMEX, I do carry a balance on the existing Business Card but hey that's what it's for, right ... 

Can anyone shed any light?

Thank You as usual!

Starting Score: 567
Current Score: 739
Goal Score: 760

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
Established Contributor

Re: AMEX Approvals after a FR

$3100 = something has Amex spooked.

Your current score says 700... is that actually current?  What's the score you have when you're logged into Amex?

Has anything changed on your reports or income since the FR?

500K+ TCL / 800+ FCOs
Message 2 of 6

You can reach out to them to determine whether the imposed restriction may be lifted, but there's no guarantee since there's no set timeframe per se depending on the FR.

Some individuals have reported those restrictions lifted immediately, while others can take 6 months or longer. But, as long as the restriction is present, you may not qualify for additional products.
Message 3 of 6
Regular Contributor

@Obscure-Expert wrote:

$3100 = something has Amex spooked.

Your current score says 700... is that actually current?  What's the score you have when you're logged into Amex?

Has anything changed on your reports or income since the FR?

Current Fico 8 Scores are

Ex - 705

TU - 715

EQ - 674

Income hasn't changed, got a few more cards since then ... 

Message 4 of 6
Regular Contributor

@FinStar wrote:
You can reach out to them to determine whether the imposed restriction may be lifted, but there's no guarantee since there's no set timeframe per se depending on the FR.

Some individuals have reported those restrictions lifted immediately, while others can take 6 months or longer. But, as long as the restriction is present, you may not qualify for additional products.

That is what I was thinking, I called 2 weeks ago, the rep I spoke with said, AMEX will reach out to me when they are ready to lift the restriction.

My scores have gone up and my reports have gotten much better since I got in with AMEX last year, on my EX and TU I have no more baddies, 100% Squeaky clean ... EQ is being a pain in my bootay ... 

Message 5 of 6
Established Contributor

I have had the restriction placed on my card about 12 times since 2012, my spend on my platinum will go fluctuate between 10k a month to 300 then to 30k, after closing cards and having the EO call offering good bonus's to sign up again I opened it and was told that the internal system will let you do 3x the previous months balance without having a person look at it and approve it, they flagged me because id approach the 3x and it would send an email saying to make an early payment because my spend exceeds my normal (6 month average). Id ignore it and when they declined the card. I would wait for the statement to cut and not use it until I paid it off at the due date. I told her I refuse to pay early. "you" created the rules and I am following it. After the EO opened my new platinum card I havent had an issue in 2 years. But the limits stayed on the cards back then from 1 day to about 4 months. Never any longer then that before I recieved a letter saying the limits have been lifted, and be reminded that NPSL dosent mean unlimited.... oh well its the game we play

"As long as the music is playing, you've got to get up and dance," he said. "We're still dancing."---Prince CEO Citi Bank

"Money isn't the most important thing in life, but it's reasonably close to oxygen on the "gotta have it" scale". ~Zig Ziglar
Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.