cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AMEX Blue Cash Preferred. Cant Request CLI?!?

tag
DaWhole9
Regular Contributor

AMEX Blue Cash Preferred. Cant Request CLI?!?

I have had the AMEX Blue Cash Preferred card for about 95 days now.  They gave me a $1000 limit.  I have a 6 figure income and credit score of 803.  I called and asked why such a low SL amd they said it was because I have never had an AMEX card before but after 90 days I could request a limit increase.  After about 2 1/2 months I called customer service and they sent me a link to request the CLI and said go there on a day 90.  On day 90 it didnt work and they said waint until day 91.  On day 91 it was still unavailable so I called again and they said it was definitely 90 days and it was maybe the system taking longer and it should be available to me in a few days.  So its now Day 95, the link still says my account is too new to request a CLI.  What gives?  Anyone with an AMEX BCP run into this?  I have seen it someplace that said it was 6 months before AMEX let them request a CLI, I asked and ge said no its not 6 months its 90 days.  He even put me on hold and verified.  One person actually gave me the date of April 29 being the day I would be eligible for a CLI.  Thoughts??

Message 1 of 28
27 REPLIES 27
SoCalGardener
Valued Contributor

Re: AMEX Blue Cash Preferred. Cant Request CLI?!?

There's a known issue with CLI links no longer appearing on members' online accounts, and although it doesn't sound like that's the problem you're having, see if using this link yields a different result.

If it gives you the same result, I guess you're just not eligible for a CLI yet, although I can't say why.

Amazon Prime Store CardAmerican Express Blue Cash Preferred CardAmerican Express Everyday CardBank of America Customized Cash VisaCapitalOne Quicksilver MastercardCapitalOne Quicksilver VisaCapitalOne Walmart Rewards MastercardChevron Texaco CardCiti Double Cash MastercardDiscover More CardJCPenney Gold MastercardOverstock.com CardSportsmans Guide Rewards VisaSynchrony Home Card
Message 2 of 28
DaWhole9
Regular Contributor

Thats the link AMEX customer service gave me.  Still said my account wasn't eligible. 
6A8DE11E-605B-48DF-8BBC-6996B196287F.jpeg

Message 3 of 28
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

An item to keep in mind, the ~90 day timeframe you were given is only a guidance, not something guaranteed. There are a lot of moving parts when it comes to CLIs and not every accountholder will qualify, whether it's 61, 91, or even 181 days.

My recommendation, as the image suggests, just try later. I would wait until the account is at least 6 months and then spin the wheel and see what it yields.

Message 4 of 28
DaWhole9
Regular Contributor

I disagree.  This isnt saying i was turned down.  It says i cannot even ask. This sounds like a rule.  It would be different if I was able to request a CLI and the denual reason was the account is too new. This us saying they wont even alliw me to ask for one. When asking them why they say, we dont know, you should be able to.  

Message 5 of 28
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

Bottom line, the request was declined, regardless of semantics -- whether it's unavailable to request it or because the account is too new. If it's a system thing that prevents it from happening at this point, then it is what it is. As reiterated upthread, give things time and try again at some point. Otherwise, if it were an error, it would display as an error in processing the request, which is not the case here.

Message 6 of 28
Jnbmom
Credit Mentor

You have to remember it's more than scores and income with lenders. Amex only gave you a 1K limit which usually means you just barely got the approval , more often when the starting limit is on the low end CLIs often don't happen at 91 days.

I would take the advice you are being given and wait 6 months then try again .

EXP 780 EQ 791TU 795
Message 7 of 28
Trini88
Established Contributor

Nope didn't run into that. They also started me off at $1000 but I got 2 CLIs before my account even turned 7 months old. All credit profiles are different tho. For whatever reason, some lenders like me and some don't.

Goal Cards:
Message 8 of 28
DaWhole9
Regular Contributor

Good to know.  I will wait a few days then check back.  

Message 9 of 28
OmarGB9
Community Leader
Super Contributor

@DaWhole9 wrote:

Good to know.  I will wait a few days then check back.  

FWIW, I posted about my experience a little while ago. Basically same as you as far as SL and type of card (BCP). I got the same message at 61 days and 91 days. Waited until around 103 days or so, and I was finally able to request, although it got turned down. Interestingly, I checked for fun a couple of days ago and it appeared that I could try to request again (well before the 90 days after a denial) although I didnt try, so I have no idea how it would've gone. 

Last App: 1/10/2023
Penfed Gold Visa Card

Currently rebuilding as of 04/11/2019.

Starting FICO 8 Scores:

Current FICO 8 scores:

Message 10 of 28
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.