Was denied a few weeks ago. The reasons stated:
- Your FICO 656
- customer with American Express is too short.
- seriously delinquent or collections accounts
When I am logged in, it won't show me any cashback cards. Just the charge cards, points revolvers and the partner cards and pushing me to refer for a 20k point bonus.
Will update again in 2.5 weeks:
EX Fico 8 - 681
- Amex Charge Card (8 months)
- BBT (3 months)
- Bestbuy MC (2.5 years)
- Barclays (7 months)
- Captial One Quicksilver (lower tier product with the higher intererst rate and no signup bonus) (7 months)
- Car loan (4 years)
- 2 student loans
- AAoA 10 years
- 10+ closed account reporting with positive history
- 3 cards Authorized User
Negatives on EX
- 1 collection account 6.5 years old
- 1 credit card chargeoff settled for less 6.5 years old
- 2 student loans reporting (1) 90 day late 6.5 years old
- 1 car loan paid off reporting lates as recent as 4.5 years ago
Why don't you wait until those negative items fall off? Won't be too long. That way your score will be much higher and you might start with higher limits.
Those cards usually require a 730 plus score. With how worried the financial sector is, I would say try again after the holiday season or when your score gets to 710.
I'm in similar territory, have the HHS 15k limit, and only get offers for charge and co-branded cards.
Best of luck.
I would wait for either:
1. 4 months when your Amex turns 1
2. 5 months when two of your accounts hit 1 year. You'll gain points for your accounts aging and inquiries being unscoreable as well. And your youngest account will be at least 6-7 months old.
Honestly, I've seen higher scores and cleaner credit being denied lately, so I'd go with option 2.