Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AMEX CLI - $35k FR threshold

tag
Dilbert934
New Contributor

AMEX CLI - $35k FR threshold

So I want to bump up my Platinum Skymiles, but saw where a CLI can trigger a FR.  While I have no doubt I could pass, it would play havok with many auto-pays I have set up.

So, my question is this.  My combined AMEX CL would not go over $35k if I was approved for a CLI, but I also have a Pay Over Time CL of $35k on my Amex Gold.  Is the PoT portion of the Gold card counted towards the $35k ceiling that will trigger a FR?

Thanks!

Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: AMEX CLI - $35k FR threshold

@Dilbert934 wrote:

So I want to bump up my Platinum Skymiles, but saw where a CLI can trigger a FR.  While I have no doubt I could pass, it would play havok with many auto-pays I have set up.

So, my question is this.  My combined AMEX CL would not go over $35k if I was approved for a CLI, but I also have a Pay Over Time CL of $35k on my Amex Gold.  Is the PoT portion of the Gold card counted towards the $35k ceiling that will trigger a FR?

Thanks!

I don't see why a CLI request would trigger a Financial Review.  Its possible that Amex will ask you to verify your income, but Income Verification is entirely different from a Financial Review.

Message 2 of 9
Priory_Man
Valued Contributor

I would say No.
I have both charge and credit cards, both my charge cards have PoT of 50K and I also have a total of 38K on the two credit cards.

"Total revolving credit $286,000 Current UTIL >1%"
Message 3 of 9
HeavenOhio
Senior Contributor

@Dilbert934, a CLI request will not trigger Financial Review (FR). But a 35k request may ask for income verification (IV).

FR is onerous, and it's a required procedure. It's generally triggered by bizarre charges.

IV is optional, and IV letters can be ignored. If your CLI request triggers the need for IV, you can simply hit your browser's back button and try again with a lower request. People have done this multiple times and received multiple letters bundled together.

Message 4 of 9
coldfusion
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

More specifically, a CLI request can trigger a 4506-T request, which is an authorization for AMEX to examine your last 2 years of federal tax returns.  Emperically a request for a $35K or more CL seems to be the common threshold that triggers a request although if your combined CL across all AMEX cards is already at or near their comfort level a request can also be triggered.  BT, DT. 

For the purposes of 4506-T requests the IRS updates the 2 year window each August. A 4506-T request filed before August 2018 would be fulfilled with 2016 and 2017 tax returns even if the 2018 return has been filed and processed.

As HeavenOhio pointed out if you get a 4506-T request in response to a CLI request the usual workaround is to use the back button on your browser and reduce your request by $500 and try again, until you get to the point where there is no 4506-T request.   You will get 1 letter for each request, but since it is not a Financial Review you can refuse the requests without risking an AA like a CLD or account closure, with the expectation that you will not get a CLI. 

Many people do have philosophical objections to authorizing an issuer to examine their tax returns in detail,  but from a credit-granting perspective there isn't a lot to fear from a 4506-T review as long as one has been honest in stating their income. 

(3/2024)
FICO 8 (EX) 846 (TU) 850 (EQ) 850
FICO 9 (EX) 850 (TU) 850 (EQ) 850

$1M+ club

Artist formerly known as the_old_curmudgeon who was formerly known as coldfusion
Message 5 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

@HeavenOhio wrote:

People have done this multiple times and received multiple letters bundled together.

My record is 20 bundled together.  Until someone reports a greater number, I'll consider myself the Undisputed Bundle Champion Smiley Wink

Message 6 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@HeavenOhio wrote:

People have done this multiple times and received multiple letters bundled together.

My record is 20 bundled together.  Until someone reports a greater number, I'll consider myself the Undisputed Bundle Champion Smiley Wink

Lol.  Do you lack kindling for your fireplace or something?

Message 7 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

He doesn’t anymore!
Message 8 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Even the 20 from Amex doesn't come close to my 60+ from Discover Smiley Wink

Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.