Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AMEX CLI Denied for a long list of invalid reasons. Manual Review Requested

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

AMEX CLI Denied for a long list of invalid reasons. Manual Review Requested

So, I put in for a CLI at 61 days post opening and was denied for a long list of invalid reasons I told the rep was incorrect. After much back and forth she said she put it in for a manual review, but what gives? Even the Experian Fico score was wrong and everything has improved since I got the card. Have 3 inquiries in the last three years. Before that is was 10 years. One was to increase Navy Federal Limit, one for this new card and one for Citi new card same day as AMEX but excessive inquiries was one reason. Thin file was another reason. Oldest account is just shy of 12 years old and perfect. Loans and a few thing inbetween perfect. NFCU 3 years ago and now these. AAOA is over 5 years. Excessive collections. I have one that is not mine that has been there for years just waiting to fall off in 3 years. Excessive delinquiences. I had three last year with NFCU. Only ones I have ever had, none this year. I missed hearing the other stuff she grudgenly read off and a rapid clip. Am I being frustrated for no reason? I also used the card hard and heavy paying it down to keep using it each month without going over the limit and paying it off in full. It has zero balance on it now. Limit is $1000. Was not in credit steps program. Over all utilization stays below 8% and is usually 1%. What gives?
Message 1 of 14
13 REPLIES 13
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

Re: AMEX CLI Denied for a long list of invalid reasons. Manual Review Requested

3 delinquency from last year with Navy Fed? What's this mean? Any lates or negs from within a year or 2 will affect you and most certainly can affect Amex decisions regarding your account.
Message 2 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
So, I put in for a CLI at 61 days post opening and was denied for a long list of invalid reasons I told the rep was incorrect. After much back and forth she said she put it in for a manual review, but what gives? Even the Experian Fico score was wrong and everything has improved since I got the card. Have 3 inquiries in the last three years. Before that is was 10 years. One was to increase Navy Federal Limit, one for this new card and one for Citi new card same day as AMEX but excessive inquiries was one reason. Thin file was another reason. Oldest account is just shy of 12 years old and perfect. Loans and a few thing inbetween perfect. NFCU 3 years ago and now these. AAOA is over 5 years. Excessive collections. I have one that is not mine that has been there for years just waiting to fall off in 3 years. Excessive delinquiences. I had three last year with NFCU. Only ones I have ever had, none this year. I missed hearing the other stuff she grudgenly read off and a rapid clip. Am I being frustrated for no reason? I also used the card hard and heavy paying it down to keep using it each month without going over the limit and paying it off in full. It has zero balance on it now. Limit is $1000. Was not in credit steps program. Over all utilization stays below 8% and is usually 1%. What gives?

Sorry to hear of your denial.  First, 61 day CLI for Amex, while it seems like everyone it expects it to be, is not guaranteed and a lot of people are denied.  It's actually a very short period of time to establish a payment record so often it takes much longer to get a CLI. Try again in 90 days and hope for the best then.  You just need to be patient as possible.  What I highlighted in red is probably the main reason for the denial.  Three late payments within the last year hurt your chances a lot.  It takes time for the effect of late payments to diminish.

Message 3 of 14
pipeguy
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Without trying to sound harsh, you have 4 derogatory "hits" on your reports - it doesn't really matter why (not yours but its there), they are there, 3X to one lender within the last year. You didn't mention what your FICO scores are but I suspect those 4X derogatory entries have cost you at least 100 points. Amex is especially "careful" and given that your starting limit was $1000 they are giving you a chance, but not going to take much risk at this point IMO. I suspect the recent 3X lates are going to hold you back for at least a year with AmEx 

Message 4 of 14
K-in-Boston
Credit Mentor

Agree completely that the 3 issues last year and the collection are the reason for both the low SL and the denied CLI.  If the collection is not yours, I'd implore you to do whatever you can to have that removed from your reports.  Have you already filed a dispute with the credit bureaus?  If that didn't work, have you filed a Consumer Financial Protection Bureau complaint?  "Last year" on any late payments is still quite recent and is considered pretty serious to most lenders, so those you'll just have to wait for them to age.

Message 5 of 14
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

OP, as others have mentioned, it is unlikely the manual review will yield a reconsideration by AMEX.

It appears, by their internal standards and the CR data you've shared, the information seems to be pretty factual and the derogatory (collections) and recent lates are the most predominant factors.
Message 6 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

Those 3 lates were there when I applied for the card. All they have done is age and one is over a year old by a few months now. How can they hold something they already knew about against me now?
Message 7 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

I have been fighting the collection and it is Portfolio Recovery. They don't care and the 3B's only validate after seeing a random bill that is not mine so it is left to fall off in 3 years. It is 4 years old and again, was there when I applied for the card. Only negatives I have are those 3 lates and that collection. Scores have increased 30 points since I applied for the card.
Message 8 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

I am just frustrated. It is my only card with an annual fee and I want to use it with its zero interest for 12 months but at $1000 it is killing me. I have put $5000 on the Citi and paid it in full but this thing I put one purchase on it and it is maxed out. I expected it to be my daily driver and I can't use it for that purpose.
Message 9 of 14
K-in-Boston
Credit Mentor

@Anonymous wrote:
Those 3 lates were there when I applied for the card. All they have done is age and one is over a year old by a few months now. How can they hold something they already knew about against me now?

They were already "holding it against you" when they issued you the card, hence the small starting line.  If Amex is not comfortable with your credit profile, it takes time to develop and nurture the relationship with them.

@Anonymous wrote:
I have been fighting the collection and it is Portfolio Recovery. They don't care and the 3B's only validate after seeing a random bill that is not mine so it is left to fall off in 3 years. It is 4 years old and again, was there when I applied for the card. Only negatives I have are those 3 lates and that collection. Scores have increased 30 points since I applied for the card.

This is a perfect case of where you should escalate this to a complaint with the CFPB.  The bureaus are only going to contact the lender to verify that they have you in their systems as owing on that account.  Whether you agree that the debt is yours or not, every lender looking at your reports accepts it as being your debt.

I can understand that this is frustrating, but unfortunately with some lenders there is no instant- or near-instant gratification, especially with the presence of derogs on a credit report.

Message 10 of 14
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.