Did you mean: 

AMEX CLI Denied for a long list of invalid reasons. Manual Review Requested

tag
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

Re: AMEX CLI Denied for a long list of invalid reasons. Manual Review Requested

@K-in-Boston wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:
Those 3 lates were there when I applied for the card. All they have done is age and one is over a year old by a few months now. How can they hold something they already knew about against me now?

They were already "holding it against you" when they issued you the card, hence the small starting line.  If Amex is not comfortable with your credit profile, it takes time to develop and nurture the relationship with them.

And they are "holding it against you" in a new context, you want them to take more risk by increasing your CL.  While it's never popular here to stick up for issuers, seems reasonable to me and it's perhaps more surprising that with three recent lates you were able to get the card at all.

Message 11 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

If you want to see the denial letter without having to wait for mail delivery go to https://www262.americanexpress.com/eaol/statusCheckAction.do and enter the requested information and you'll see the letter with the specific reason codes for denial.

Given the low initial credit limit and what you've described about your credit profile, its unlikely you'll get a CLI before 180 days.  As it stands now, you will not get one before 151 days (61 days + 90 day mandatory wait after denial).  Think about it from the lender's perspective.  Sixty-one days is too short to develop a true picture of your spending and repayment history so you'll have to exercise some patience.  Even Navy requires 91 days and 3 statement cuts at minimum before granting a credit increase and recently its been more along the line of 6 months before CLI. Amex has tougher standards than Navy so I'd advise to wait 180 days from account opening before requesting a CLI again.

Amex is legally required under the Fair Credit Reporting Act to provide you with at least 4 (sometimes 5) reasons why credit was denied.  And while you might not agree with the reasons provided, they are not "invalid."

Also, it is well known that the FICO score Amex uses to make credit decisions is not the same as the score displayed when you log in to your account.  Typically, the score used by underwriting lags the score in your account by about 2-3 weeks so its always adviseable to wait that period after your account updates to ensure underwriting is using the same score.

@Anonymous wrote:
So, I put in for a CLI at 61 days post opening and was denied for a long list of invalid reasons I told the rep was incorrect. After much back and forth she said she put it in for a manual review, but what gives? Even the Experian Fico score was wrong and everything has improved since I got the card. Have 3 inquiries in the last three years. Before that is was 10 years. One was to increase Navy Federal Limit, one for this new card and one for Citi new card same day as AMEX but excessive inquiries was one reason. Thin file was another reason. Oldest account is just shy of 12 years old and perfect. Loans and a few thing inbetween perfect. NFCU 3 years ago and now these. AAOA is over 5 years. Excessive collections. I have one that is not mine that has been there for years just waiting to fall off in 3 years. Excessive delinquiences. I had three last year with NFCU. Only ones I have ever had, none this year. I missed hearing the other stuff she grudgenly read off and a rapid clip. Am I being frustrated for no reason? I also used the card hard and heavy paying it down to keep using it each month without going over the limit and paying it off in full. It has zero balance on it now. Limit is $1000. Was not in credit steps program. Over all utilization stays below 8% and is usually 1%. What gives?

Message 12 of 14
stonedog23
Frequent Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
Those 3 lates were there when I applied for the card. All they have done is age and one is over a year old by a few months now. How can they hold something they already knew about against me now?

They actually held those 3 lates against you judging from your $1000 limit. What they did was give you a chance in spite of those 3 recent baddies. And the 61 days is not enough of a history “with them” to judge whether you won’t do to them what you did to NFCU. It might be 6 months until your increase.

NFCU GoRewards Sig ($40,000), NFCU Cash Rewards ($33,000), PenFed Power Cash ($25,000), FNBO Evergreen Visa ($20,000), Bread Financial Rewards Amex ($19,150), PNC Cash Rewards ($18,400), PNC Cashbuilder ($18,700) , Citi Double Cash ($9600), Discover It Cash ($9000), Walmart MC ($8000), Bank of America Unlimited Cash Rewards ($7500), Fifth Third Unlimited Cash Back Mastercard ($7500), Wells Fargo Active Cash Sig($7000), Apple Card ($6000), Amex BCE($6000), Amex ED($6600), X1 Card ($5000), PNC Points ($8000), Amex Cash Magnet($2000), Fifth Third Truly Simple ($4000), Truist Spectrum Cash Rewards($4500), Truist Bright Card($4500), CapOne Quicksilver(Bucketed @$1500), US Bank Cash+ ($5,000), US Bank Cash+ ($1,000), WF mortgage 195K Fico 8: EQ 766, TU 763, EX 753, FICO 9:EQ 829, TU 812, EX 791, AAoA-97 months, AoOA-28 years
Message 13 of 14
pipeguy
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
I am just frustrated. It is my only card with an annual fee and I want to use it with its zero interest for 12 months but at $1000 it is killing me. I have put $5000 on the Citi and paid it in full but this thing I put one purchase on it and it is maxed out. I expected it to be my daily driver and I can't use it for that purpose.

Based on a previous post of yours you have the Blue Cash Preferred with a $95 AF and recently you paid off the "maxed out" balance of $1000. I'm not sure I'd be maxing out my credit limit on a new card and if you want to get rid of the AF perhaps you are better off with the "everyday" no -AF version.  Credit is built over time and every time you get you let a derogatory hit your reports, let alone 3X in a year, its one step forward and 4 back to ground zero.

As I said in a previous post on this thread, AmEx is very cautious until they really get to know you and that starts with a credit report and matures as they gain trust in your spending patterns.  

Message 14 of 14
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.