Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AMEX CLI Denied

tag
Total80sKid
Senior Contributor

AMEX CLI Denied

I'm totally bummed.

Today was day 61 and I went online and requested my 3x CLI from my $1k SL to $3k.

Got the 7-10 day message.

I just called and spoke with a CSR and they listed off several reasons. It was a long list and I was quite surprised as all of my scores now are over 700, my score from AMEX is 694, about 10 points higher than when I was approved.

Some reasonings were:

Not enough time with AMEX (seems inaccurate)
Too many new cards
Balances too high (told them I recently did a BT and moved all of my high balances to my new PenFed card, but 2-3 days ago moved $3.3k of that balance to Discover, giving me two cards under 49% UTI while all my other cards have a zero balance).

There was more, but the list was so long and I was so taken back I can't recall, but the above was the gist of it.

I know the not enough time isn't right cuz people here get the increase all the time on their first AMEX.

I have used the card religiously for two months and always paying it down before a balance reports.

It's been at a $0 balance for a few days now.

I asked the CSR if they can do a recon and he said he'd send it to the UW I believe for review and he said he would notate about why the PenFed card is high and how I did BT's, etc.

Also had him mention how at $1k, AMEX is now one of my lowest cards and said I had been approved for a Discover at $7k and my PenFed at $10.5k.

What are the odds I will be successful?

I knew this was a possibility, but I am stubborn and feel like I'm being penalized for doing the right thing and now want to start using cards from companies who seem invested in me and my progress like Discover and PenFed.

Blah.

Sorry for rambling. Smiley Sad
Message 1 of 42
41 REPLIES 41
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: AMEX CLI Denied

Sorry they denied you and good luck on your recon.

I think thel real reason they denied you was probably high UTI on those 2 accounts, in case your recon is unsuccessful, I would continue to use the card like you have and pay down the balance on Penfed and Discover, then try again in 91 days.  Good luck. 

Message 2 of 42
Anonymous
Not applicable

2 months time in credit-land is nothing. And you sound desperate.  I don't believe these are qualities that amex seeks. 

And forget recon with amex. It's my understanding from a close friend of mine that they don't do it.  You get what you get, and don't throw a fit.  Goodness. 2 months pass and you think they shorted you your  3x cli.

Message 3 of 42
shoegal
Valued Contributor

Oh man, that sucks! I hope they approve your recon. Was your card on Amex version of credit steps?

Message 4 of 42
credit_endurance
Valued Contributor

Unfortunately your very new to Amex in their eyes. I was where you where a couple years ago. Got my first Amex approval and was given what they call a " borderline" toy limit and was totally expecting a 3XCI after the 61 days and was promptly denied for similar reasons mostly being a new account holder with low Fico scores. It really sinks your sails for sure. But just keep using your card wisely and PIF as well as lower some of your UTL and hit them up again in 90 days and you should get the increase. 

Starting FICO08 Scores 2016 All in the mid 500’s
Current FICO08 Scores SEP 2023 (TU 834) (EQ 831 (EXP 831)

“The credit is no longer bruised, it has endured the test of time” (formally know as bruisedcredit)

Message 5 of 42
Gmood1
Super Contributor

Don't sweat the small stuff 80skid! This is only a SP CLI request. Some of us don't see the first till the 181 day mark. Nothing to get upset about. You'll get that 3x CLI soon enough. You can try again at the 91 day mark. 181 days is normally golden.
After that first one they'll roll in every 181 days. Don't confuse this with being denied the CC. Lol
I've been denied so many times for CLIs from Amex and Discover. I can't count them all. lol
At the end of the day, those SP denials don't add up to a hill of beans. 😀

The real reason you were denied is for not enough time with the account. That will change at 181 days. The rest of that is just the standard mumbo-jumbo..

Message 6 of 42
Anonymous
Not applicable

So what are your scores and CL/Balances on the rest of your cards?

Message 7 of 42
Gidgetmom
Frequent Contributor

Sorry to hear about the CLI denial.  Give it a little more time, reduce your utilization as much as you can in the next 90 days, and pull the trigger again!  Amex comes from "charge" card roots and, I suspect, the high utilization on those other 2 cards is at the heart of the denial.  

Just remember, the hard part is over...you are part of the Amex family now.  Treat your profile right, and Amex will show the ❤️!

Message 8 of 42
Total80sKid
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

2 months time in credit-land is nothing. And you sound desperate.  I don't believe these are qualities that amex seeks. 

And forget recon with amex. It's my understanding from a close friend of mine that they don't do it.  You get what you get, and don't throw a fit.  Goodness. 2 months pass and you think they shorted you your  3x cli.

lol.

No need for dramatics.

I am going by the hundreds of pages on this site about 'desperate' people such as myself, getting a 3x CLI after their first 61 days.

There is nothing 'desperate' in my attempt to go after what 95% of this board goes after, with a shorter history than mine, much lower scores, etc.

I am just going to assume you read my post wrong as I have not seen you reply to any of my other threads.

Desperate, I am not. disappointed because I was working towards something and failed to achieve it, yes.

Nobody is throwing a fit and I don't feel like I was shorted.

Message 9 of 42
Total80sKid
Senior Contributor

@shoegal wrote:

Oh man, that sucks! I hope they approve your recon. Was your card on Amex version of credit steps?

Nope.

That's why I was somewhat positive I would get my 3x CLI.

I see others here get a $500 SL with credit steps and that left me with the impression that those were the types of accounts that were borderline approved.

I was mistaken.

No biggie.

I was really bummed about it earlier, but I have come a long way in just the last two months.

Went from scores in the 620's with a CO card at $850 as my highest limit, to now well over $50,000 in credit and scores all above 700 Smiley Happy

Message 10 of 42
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.