Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AMEX CLI Request - 7 To 10 Day Message

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: AMEX CLI Request - 7 To 10 Day Message

@FinStar wrote:
It would be great to learn what reasons they provide on the letter OP. This way, if there's an opportunity to improve in certain areas, there's that potential to grow the card.

I am eagerly awaiting my letter. Seems that most companies want to do everything online but they don't want to send out the denials online. I think Synchrony sends some of those online and regular mail. It would sure take a lot of stress out of the process if they would use online communication for denials. Probably some reg that requires them to send out regular mail I suppose.

Message 11 of 21
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Jnbmom wrote:
I agree with cards ranging from 500-2000 usually don't have frequent success at the 61 day mark

Those starting limits probably indicate they took a chance on you so they want more history with them before they extend any addtional credit. I can understand their point.

Message 12 of 21
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Penjamin_Fedington wrote:

Don't lose hope treeshaker.  I was denied a CLI from amex, requested my 2000 limit to 6000 after 61 days.  I asked again 91 days after that denial and was instantly approved.  

I see now that the CLI's arent automatic so I will just wait a while. I don't really need it just wanted to get a CLI to feel good I guess.

Message 13 of 21
Anonymous
Not applicable

@pinkandgrey wrote:
As others have said, Amex approvals are usually instant so this may be a denial. Don’t worry—you’ll get one eventually!

I can wait. Thanks for the kind words.

Message 14 of 21
CreditInspired
Community Leader
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Applied for a CLI on Amex (about two weeks past 61 days). Got the 7 - 10 day message. I am assuming it's a denial.  Current limit $2000, requested $4000 increase. ) 0 balance on Amex.  Scores 730 to 740 across all three bureaus. No collections. Several new accounts (with higher limits). 6 inquiries on EX and EQ. 5 on TU. 

Hi OP and welcome to myFICO

Echoing others that it’s probably a denial and most likely due to several new accounts. Was this in the last 6 months? If yes, I would just wait another 6 months and then ask for a CLI on AmX again. 

GL2U

|| AmX Cash Magnet $40.5K || NFCU CashRewards $30K || Discover IT $24.7K || Macys $24.2K || NFCU CLOC $15K || NFCU Platinum $15K || CitiCostco $12.7K || Chase FU $12.7K || Apple Card $7K || BOA CashRewards $6K
Message 15 of 21
Anonymous
Not applicable

@CreditInspired wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Applied for a CLI on Amex (about two weeks past 61 days). Got the 7 - 10 day message. I am assuming it's a denial.  Current limit $2000, requested $4000 increase. ) 0 balance on Amex.  Scores 730 to 740 across all three bureaus. No collections. Several new accounts (with higher limits). 6 inquiries on EX and EQ. 5 on TU. 

Hi OP and welcome to myFICO

Echoing others that it’s probably a denial and most likely due to several new accounts. Was this in the last 6 months? If yes, I would just wait another 6 months and then ask for a CLI on AmX again. 

GL2U

It very well may be new accounts.  I started rebuilding in October of 2018. In the past four months of 2019 I have gotten four or five new accounts.

Message 16 of 21
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

I will continue to use it sparingly and put most of my spend on one of my cards with a higher limit. 

I would use it more, it may tell them that you do need a higher CL. Remember, you can almost max out the card and simply PIF before it cuts.

Several times per month if need be. By reducing usage it may send the wrong message, that you don't really need more credit.

@Anonymous wrote:

Their reason may also be that you added too many new accounts recently, as in credit seeking behavior. Appling for credit and CLIs all at the same time can raise flags.

Message 17 of 21
Anonymous
Not applicable

So this is the thing it's definitely a denial but on an AMEX you should actually use it more. Put all your spending on it and continue to pay it off it full. AMEX does a ton of back end reviewing and if they see this practice along with your strong credit score you will get increases without ever asking for them.
Message 18 of 21
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

I will continue to use it sparingly and put most of my spend on one of my cards with a higher limit. 

I would use it more, it may tell them that you do need a higher CL. Remember, you can almost max out the card and simply PIF before it cuts.

Several times per month if need be. By reducing usage it may send the wrong message, that you don't really need more credit.

@Anonymous wrote:

Their reason may also be that you added too many new accounts recently, as in credit seeking behavior. Appling for credit and CLIs all at the same time can raise flags.

This is great advice. I was going to put it on the back burner but I will use it and pay it immediately.  And you may be right about raising flags. I thought I'd better get while the getting was good (wasn't too smart on  my part).  I'm pretty much set right now so I don't need any additional cards.  I can just wait it out. 

Message 19 of 21
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
So this is the thing it's definitely a denial but on an AMEX you should actually use it more. Put all your spending on it and continue to pay it off it full. AMEX does a ton of back end reviewing and if they see this practice along with your strong credit score you will get increases without ever asking for them.

This makes a lot of sense. Sometimes I think I focus on scores when I know that there is more to the equation than scores. I will use it and pay it as soon as it posts. I am in a place now that I can actually wait until they do an auto CLI without me asking for it. 

Message 20 of 21
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.