cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AMEX Card Declined, Can i force a new credit pull?

tag
Denny33142
Regular Contributor

AMEX Card Declined, Can i force a new credit pull?

Does anyone know if you can force amex to pull a new report when applying for a credit card? I decided to pull the trigger on the Hilton Honors Surpass card because my last negative item (a charge off) fell off my report last week, I confirmed with a new MyFico pull that the CO was indeed deleted last week from Experian and that my new Fico score is now 695.

The credit application ended up being declined and it looks like they based it of a month old report that still had the Charge Off acount present, The report is dated June 15th with a Fico of 652, The primary reason for denial was "Seirous Deliquency or Collection Account on file".

Does anyone know what my options are? Should i just wait until Amex decides to softpull me again and then re-apply (Who knows how long that will take), Has anyone had any luck calling Amex and focing them to pull a new report? I called them today and they seemed to have no idea what i was talking about.

Thanks in advance.

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: AMEX Card Declined, Can i force a new credit pull?

Sorry to hear about the denial.  If I were in your shoes I'd wait for a new fresh updated report.  However, you can by emailing higher up's and explaining the situation.  Calling and explaining to the front line reps don't get you anywhere.

Message 2 of 6
CreditInspired
Community Leader
Super Contributor

@Denny33142 wrote:

Does anyone know if you can force amex to pull a new report when applying for a credit card? I decided to pull the trigger on the Hilton Honors Surpass card because my last negative item (a charge off) fell off my report last week, I confirmed with a new MyFico pull that the CO was indeed deleted last week from Experian and that my new Fico score is now 695.

The credit application ended up being declined and it looks like they based it of a month old report that still had the Charge Off acount present, The report is dated June 15th with a Fico of 652, The primary reason for denial was "Seirous Deliquency or Collection Account on file".

Does anyone know what my options are? Should i just wait until Amex decides to softpull me again and then re-apply (Who knows how long that will take), Has anyone had any luck calling Amex and focing them to pull a new report? I called them today and they seemed to have no idea what i was talking about.

Thanks in advance.

Okay, I'm sorry, but I laughed out loud, literally, when you actually said "force" a CC to do something. Always remember that you get more bees with honey than vinegar. I suggest calling back and falling on your sword. Explain how you worked very hard to get your scores to where they are today and that there are no negatives on your credit reports. Ask if they would please reconsider and pull a fresh report. Please note that I used the word "ask."Smiley Very Happy And you can't say thank you too many times as the CSR sees what he/she can do to assist you. GL to you.

|| AmX Cash Magnet $40.5K || NFCU CashRewards $30K || Discover IT $24.7K || Macys $24.2K || NFCU CLOC $15K || NFCU Platinum $15K || CitiCostco $12.7K || Chase FU $12.7K || Apple Card $7K || BOA CashRewards $6K
Message 3 of 6
Denny33142
Regular Contributor

I think you misinterpreted my term of "force", I wans't literally going to call Amex and try to force them to pull a new report, What i meant was if there was a known way to trigger the system to run a new report either through the application process or through some activity on my online account.

I have already called the new accounts department and they have no idea what i am talking about, The agent on the line didn't even know what a softpull meant, It seems that the community here knows more about how amex works then amex themsleves.

Regardless it seems that trying to deal with their outsourced CSR is more trouble then it's worth, I was hoping to use the card for an upcoming vacation at the end of this month but unless they miraciously do a softpull within the next few days it looks like its not gonna happen.

Message 4 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

I hear they run credit reports that are a month old. So if I were you I would wait another month before trying again
Message 5 of 6
Total80sKid
Senior Contributor

I applied and was approved almost 2 weeks ago.

My EX was 637 until the end of the first week of June, then shot up to 679 and applied.

I don't think they would have approved me with a 637, but I guess it's possible?
Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.