Did you mean: 

AMEX DENIED!

tag
HeavenOhio
Senior Contributor

Re: AMEX DENIED!

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

So I was reading several successful AMEX applications with Fico 8 Experian scores in the 630's, it caught my attention.  I checked my Experian FICO 8 and was at 649 so I thought, what the heck.  I went ahead and applied for the Amex Everyday card, but was denied.  I viewed the letter online and it said the reason was my FICO score and showed my 649 score.

Anyone else denied with a score similar?  The denial letter says to wait 30 days... curious how long others waited to try again or at what score?

Thanks!

This doesn't make much sense to me.  A 30-day wait is for a non-credit reason like requesting a CLI too early.  When you're denied for a credit-related reason like a low credit score the wait is 90 days.

I think that if one is applying for a new card, 30 days is the wait time after a denial. With CLI denials, the waiting period is 90 days.

I'd aim for a score of at least 680, with 700 being better. 650 might yield an approval, but the limit is likely to be low and tough to grow for a while.

Message 11 of 22
Anonymous
Not applicable

Think I was at 642 when I got the delta gold, I used for 6 months paying off everything as soon as it posted. Was later approved for Aspire, then couple months ago Amex platinum. I think waiting a couple months and opening the door with the Delta card will help.

Message 12 of 22
Anonymous
Not applicable

I had a 715 score and denied for everyday card.
No missed payments.
5%utilization
They said aaoa too short. Length of loans (1-1/2)years too short.
I only applied since I was pre qualified and saw much lower scores getting card.
Now that I applied I see more pre approval for green and gold card
Message 13 of 22
Anonymous
Not applicable

They also said wait one to two months to reapply after called backdoor twice
Message 14 of 22
sjt
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

So I was reading several successful AMEX applications with Fico 8 Experian scores in the 630's, it caught my attention.  I checked my Experian FICO 8 and was at 649 so I thought, what the heck.  I went ahead and applied for the Amex Everyday card, but was denied.  I viewed the letter online and it said the reason was my FICO score and showed my 649 score.

Anyone else denied with a score similar?  The denial letter says to wait 30 days... curious how long others waited to try again or at what score?

Thanks!

Can you give us a little more details on your credit profile, ie Utilization, AAOA, and Derogs, etc.

American Express: Platinum Charge, Optima, Business Gold, Delta Business Reserve, Business Cash, Business Plus
Barclays: Arrival+ WEMC
Capital One: Savor WEMC, Venture X Visa Infinite
Chase: Freedom U Visa Signature, CSR Visa Infinite
Citibank: AAdvantage Platinum WEMC
Elan/US Bank: Fidelity Visa Signature
Credit Union: Cash Back Visa Signature
FICO 08: Score decrease between 26-41 points after auto payoff (11.01.21) FICO as of 5.23, EX: 812 / EQ: 825 / TU: 815
Message 15 of 22
Anonymous
Not applicable

I was denied with aaoa 1 year aooa 20 months. 5 utilization. 7 inquiries
715 FICO Experian.
Reasons for denial not enough credit history
Too many inquiries. I thought I would have got the card since I saw people with 660 scores getting them left and right. But it's okay I'll be alright in July for an Amex or discover or something. Does anybody think I would not call if I in July? Please don't hold back
Message 16 of 22
Anonymous
Not applicable

Qualify***
Message 17 of 22
Vu
Frequent Contributor

I think that there are two tiers of the Amex cards.

The charge card (Platinum, Gold, Green) and the co-brand cards (Hilton, Mariott, Delta) have less stringent UW than the core revolver cards (BC, ED, CM, etc.)

I get approved for Hilton and Platinum charge card, also pre-approved for Delta and Mariott cards.  But for the core revolver cards, I do not get any pre-approved.  I went ahead and cold applied for ED and promptly get denied.

So if you want the core revolver cards, I believe you need a minimum of 670 Fico score to be considered for those products.  Of course, other variables on your CR might be part of the approval too.

Message 18 of 22
sjt
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
I was denied with aaoa 1 year aooa 20 months. 5 utilization. 7 inquiries
715 FICO Experian.
Reasons for denial not enough credit history
Too many inquiries. I thought I would have got the card since I saw people with 660 scores getting them left and right. But it's okay I'll be alright in July for an Amex or discover or something. Does anybody think I would not call if I in July? Please don't hold back

You should call and request a recon.

American Express: Platinum Charge, Optima, Business Gold, Delta Business Reserve, Business Cash, Business Plus
Barclays: Arrival+ WEMC
Capital One: Savor WEMC, Venture X Visa Infinite
Chase: Freedom U Visa Signature, CSR Visa Infinite
Citibank: AAdvantage Platinum WEMC
Elan/US Bank: Fidelity Visa Signature
Credit Union: Cash Back Visa Signature
FICO 08: Score decrease between 26-41 points after auto payoff (11.01.21) FICO as of 5.23, EX: 812 / EQ: 825 / TU: 815
Message 19 of 22
Anonymous
Not applicable

By recon u mean call backdoor number/underwriters correct?
I did twice. This was early January. I spoke with a supervisor who was reassuring but results came back denied a week or so later. Not sure if theres anything can do now?
Message 20 of 22
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.