Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AMEX De-Blacklist Chances

tag
nonunderling

AMEX De-Blacklist Chances

I would like to get back into AMEX's good graces. A little history:

Roughly in 2015 I defaulted on one AMEX account, 180 days of deliquency.

I entered into a settlement with AMEX and my last payment was made around 03/2018, which is the date AMEX last reported on this account to the three credit unions. 

I only owe around $700 to AMEX (that was the amount that was charged off). I have called them and offered to pay that remaining amount in exchange for an Optima card- they declined.

My question is: If i pay this remaining amount to AMEX without them promising me anything, is there any chance they might de-blacklist me?

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
imaximous
Valued Contributor

Re: AMEX De-Blacklist Chances

@nonunderling wrote:

I entered into a settlement with AMEX and my last payment was made around 03/2018, which is the date AMEX last reported on this account to the three credit unions. 

I only owe around $700 to AMEX (that was the amount that was charged off). I have called them and offered to pay that remaining amount in exchange for an Optima card- they declined.

My question is: If i pay this remaining amount to AMEX without them promising me anything, is there any chance they might de-blacklist me?

It's not guaranteed but based on a lot of previous data, people have got back with Amex after paying off their balances. People have also got back without paying, but that usually takes a LONG time. 

Did you file BK too or just the Amex charge-off?

Message 2 of 7
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

Being removed from the blacklist is a YEMV outcome. Potentially, if you pay any remaining owed amounts, that definitely provides a good path to rekindling the relationship.

An item to keep in mind, though, even if a positive relationship is reestablished, future CLIs or new AmEx accounts (primarily on the revolvers side) may be impacted, not always, but a variety of members have reported their DPs in prior threads.

How does the rest of your profile look like, scores, utilization, etc.?
Message 3 of 7
nonunderling

Thanks for the reply.

No BK, just charge-off.

Message 4 of 7
nonunderling

@FinStar wrote:
Being removed from the blacklist is a YEMV outcome. Potentially, if you pay any remaining owed amounts, that definitely provides a good path to rekindling the relationship.

An item to keep in mind, though, even if a positive relationship is reestablished, future CLIs or new AmEx accounts (primarily on the revolvers side) may be impacted, not always, but a variety of members have reported their DPs in prior threads.

Rest of profile is good, i have about six new CC's, 1% utilization, about 50k total credit line, fico 8s show mid-high 600's.

Message 5 of 7
nonunderling

@imaximous wrote:

@nonunderling wrote:

It's not guaranteed but based on a lot of previous data, people have got back with Amex after paying off their balances. People have also got back without paying, but that usually takes a LONG time. 

Did you file BK too or just the Amex charge-off?

No BK just charge-off.

Some added context- i'm not trying to get in with AMEX immediately, just trying to lay the groundwork for a future relationship.

Message 6 of 7
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

@nonunderling wrote:

@FinStar wrote:

Rest of profile is good, i have about six new CC's, 1% utilization, about 50k total credit line, fico 8s show mid-high 600's.

Sounds like you're headed in the right direction.  Definitely wait until the 6 new accounts have aged considerably and your scores are above 700 ,especially on EX for optimal results.

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.