Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AMEX Gold + BCE Approval Odds?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

AMEX Gold + BCE Approval Odds?

Hi everyone, I'm new to the myFICO forums and relatively new to my credit building journey. I'm currently a student with a Discover it chrome card (aged 3 mos.) and recently just got a CLI to $2,300 for that card.

With that being said, I would like to get an Amex card or two (Gold & BCE) because of their perks. I currently have a FICO 8 (EX) of 750 based on my Discover Scorecard. I currently make about $12,000 a year (live at parent's w/ $0 rent) with a pristine payment history with some student loans (AAoA of 1.5 yrs). I also checked the pre-qualified offers on Amex's website and I'm pre-qualified for both.

Question is, should I apply for one, or both on the same day? I have heard of people with similar stories to mine get approved no problem. Should I apply for one before the other? I'm nervous because last month I had high utilization (I fixed it from 74% to 3% this month) and they denied me the BCE based solely on my score (681 at the time). I would love to hear all your input!
Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: AMEX Gold + BCE Approval Odds?

Amex prequals are generally solid. It’s been said that if you look at the card stats and see a fixed APR, that’s another assurance that you’re good to go. If the prequals are real and Amex is inclined to grant the cards, you shouldn’t have a problem with both at once to combine the approvals into one HP. As always, YMMV and everyone’s profile is different, but you have a thin clean file over a year old and your EX score is well above what should be needed. I’d say go for it.
Message 2 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
 both at once to combine the approvals into one HP. 

I would focus on which one provides more benefits to your spend right now and go for that one.  Once you're in and establish some history with Amex subsequent cards are a SP.  There's no real rush to app the same day to avoid a HP. 

Keep in mind the Gold won't help as much as the BC because it's a charge card which doesn't have a limit that calculates into scoring.

The main concerns would be 3 mo's w/ Disco and 12K income.  Scores aren't everything when it comes to approvals, they look at everything, but, the high score helps in not getting an instant denial.  Read the T&C's for specific details about the income requirements before hitting apply and try through incognito mode for specific cards for a higher bonus on the spend requirements. 

Message 3 of 11
Andypanda
Established Contributor

If you apply for both at the same time, it will be harder to meet the spend requirments to get the SUB for both cards.

Message 4 of 11
TheConstant
Regular Contributor

And BCE and Gold compete in a major category for the (average) consumer: groceries. You'd be diluting your rewards potential on a thin profile.

Goal Score:800

[ AmEx Blue Cash Preferred - $34500 ]
[ Chase Sapphire Reserve - $22400 ]
[ BofA Unlimited Cash Rewards - $31000 ]
[ BofA Cash Rewards - $18000 ]
[ Citi AAdvantage Platinum - $15000 ]
[ Chase Freedom Flex - $12000 ]
[ Cap. One QS - $7800 ]
[ Cap. One QS - $7000 ]
[ AmEx EveryDay Preferred - $5000 ]
[ Discover IT - $4500 ]
Message 5 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

I was instantly approved for the AMEX BCE a little over a week ago. I have a thin profile like you, but my income is $42K.

At the time of my application, I only had one revolving account which was a Capital One Platinum opened in November 2018, and an installment account which was an auto loan opened in July 2017. My AAoA was 1 year and 3 months.

My utilization on the Capital One Platinum was 1% and the auto loan was nearly paid off with only $293 left out of the $15.5K borrowed.

An interesting data point was on the AMEX Pre-Approval page, it only showed me being pre-approved for the AMEX Gold, Everyday, and Cash Magnet. No pre-approval shown on that page for the BCE. However, I received a mailer for the BCE with an invitation number and a $200 SUB.

I applied for the BCE with the invitation number and was instantly approved with a $2K SL. They pulled FICO 8 EX which was 746 at the time of my application.

Like others have mentioned, your great score and perfect payment history on your student loans is a big plus, but with your income and having only 3 months of credit history, you may or may not be approved. I think you could have a better chance if you waited 3 more months, so that way you've had 6 months of history with your Discover IT Chrome.

Message 6 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hey Obscure,

Thanks for the helpful info. I think the Gold card is the best option, because some of my biggest spend is on restaurants and supermarkets. Gas is covered for my first year with the Chrome (4% back) so that isn't a big worry atm. I am going on a trip in August, so I think I can hit minimum spend quite easily. My income upped a bit because I received a gift from my SO's mom ($1.5K) so it's $13,500 now. Plus, I want the SUB so I can go on a trip with my SO someday. Smiley Happy

Message 7 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hey ImTheDevil,

Thanks for the info. I've heard people say the same thing, so I'm somewhat reassured. I checked the rates on my prequal offer for the Gold, and it is a fixed APR! Smiley Happy 20.49%. I checked the general CHA for the Gold and it's variable, so I guess that means I have an overall better chance? I did receive a pre-screened mail offer for the BCE, and it's a $200 SUB on $1K, but sadly it's still a variable APR. Smiley Sad Do you think I should be good to go to sign up for the Gold on 7/27?

Message 8 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi PurpleFrog,

Thanks a lot for the data point. It looks like we were in a similar boat besides income and loan balances. Is loan balance a major factor in decisions? I too got a mailer for the BCE, but mine has a variable APR which is disappointing to see. Was yours a variable APR offer as well? I got the same SUB offer. I don't think it would hurt to try now, since I'm in an optimal spending situation for the Gold. I always have until September to take Amex up on the BCE offer. Smiley Wink

Message 9 of 11
kdm31091
Super Contributor

To me it would be self defeating to open up a BCE and a Gold because a major reward category on both is groceries, and you're just diluting your benefit. Pick the system that suits you best and apply for one or the other but not both.

Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.