Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AMEX HELP PLEASE :) Hilton or SPG

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

AMEX HELP PLEASE :) Hilton or SPG

So, I have a pre-approval for either the Amex Hilton or the SPG (Starwood) cards. Which should I pull the trigger on?  The Hilton card is offering 

"EARN 125,000 HILTON HONORS BONUS POINTS after you spend $2,000 in purchases on the Card within your first 3 months of Card Membership".....While, the SPG card is offering "EARN 75,000 BONUS POINTS after you use your new Card to make $3,000 in purchases within the first 3 months"............ I know Hilton has many international hotels/resorts, so I hear, while Starwood has some pretty nice high end hotels/resorts...... Which should I go for?  I don't travel a whole bunch, but I do like to vacation a few times a year. Are the SL's for each, basically going to be the same, or no? Thanks Smiley HappyM

22 REPLIES 22
CountryLivin
Valued Contributor

Re: AMEX HELP PLEASE :) Hilton or SPG

I was preapproved for both cards and I decided on Hilton, as I usually stay at Hampton Inn....plus there are many Hilton owned hotels in all of the spots I would be vacationing at anyway.

Message 2 of 23
MrDisco99
Valued Contributor

It really depends on your travel and spending habits.  Which one looks like it would be a better fit for you?

Me personally, I've been loyal to Hilton for a while because they have a pretty wide range of property types and they are everywhere.  SPG used to be more specifically geared toward luxury resort type properties, but now that they've merged with Marriott, they're just as ubiquitous as Hilton.  Points earning is probably better with the Hilton card since they have bonus earning categories.  Hilton points aren't worth as much as Marriott points, but the differences in earn rates kinda balances that out.  Hilton Ascend comes with more perks like Priority Pass and gold status, which gets you more than silver status does on Marriott.  SPG card comes with a free night after each year, while the Hilton card requires you spend $15K before they give you one.  The SPG card waives the $95 AF the first year, while the Hilton card does not.

Message 3 of 23
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

OP, has your strategy changed from other CCs you were pursuing including your Chase and Capital One recent CC approvals? Or, are you pretty much applying for anything you can get?

https://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Credit-Cards/Best-High-SL-for-BOA-Rewards-Cards-Please-Help/m-p/539...
Message 4 of 23
staticvoidmain
Established Contributor

In my opinion:

The $95 SPG is better than the $95 Hilton (Ascend) - because of the annual free night, and waived first year.

However, the $450 Hilton (Aspire) is better than the $450 SPG (Luxury) - because of the better Hilton perks.

That is unless I am missing something. Personally, I'd go for Hilton Ascend if they offered a  free night on the $95 card, and waive the first year. I also like the fact that I can just upgrade to the Aspire card (which I prefer over the SPG luxury), or even downgrade to a no-AF card.

Message 5 of 23
Anonymous
Not applicable

Neither...Amex keeps pushing Pre-appovals for both cards and they are SP's.

Message 6 of 23
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hilton gives much better status compared to marriott/spg. If your like me the breakfast at top teir hotels are free with the hilton but you are stuck with Gold (useless) status with spg, i was platinum (buyback) program with marriott until the merge then i went and got the hilton ($450) card and so far so good.
Now if you look at travel marriott has more places so check and see what fits there as well.
Message 7 of 23
Anonymous
Not applicable

I apped for the Ascend, but got verbage I was not eligible for the SUB. So needless to say I canceled the app.

I don't really understand it as other people have recieved upwords of 4 Amex cards with SUBs. lol

Wish I knew what their reasoning was.

Message 8 of 23
Anonymous
Not applicable

It's carzy. I took the pre-approval, apped, and they gave me the SPG card with $1k limit. Where am I going to go on vacation for $1k?  Does anyone have the back door Amex phone number to have them look at maybe increasing?  I don't want to reallocate from my Cash Magnet ($12k).  If not, I may just cancel.  Sighhhhhhhhh. Only SP, so one good thing Smiley Sad

M

Message 9 of 23
staticvoidmain
Established Contributor

Sorry to hear this. I am planning on pulling the trigger on the SPG as well, and I'd hate for this to happen to me, as I need to meet the SUB requirements. I just got a CLI on my Delta card from 9K to 25K, and I am afraid that if I app, they will give me a pathetic limit.... and afaik, I have to wait two months before I can transfer limit to it.

These are all the known backdoor numbers. I would just try to call/chat and hang up until I find a person worth speaking to.

Message 10 of 23
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.