Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AMEX PRE-QUALIFY

tag
Cherekas
Frequent Contributor

Re: AMEX PRE-QUALIFY

I prequalified for the Gold PRG, Blue Cash and I forgot the other one. But when I read the details it says my APR was 17.99. I apped for the Blue Cash and PRG, then I decided a few days later to (cold app) for the Delta Skymiles. Approved for all 3, Sp. Surprised to say the least and my score is (according to the letter I received with my cards) 678 (havent updated my siggy yet with my new FICO's).

Score: F8 EQ 609, EX 597, TU 614 (1/17) Current Score: F8 EQ 701, EX 714, TU 689 (12/18)

Goal Score: 700+ across all 3--Gardening until May 2019
USAA Amex-USAA Rate Advantage VS- Amex Gold- Amex Delta Blue- Macys- NYC CC- Victoria's Secret- Cap 1 QS- NFCU CR- Care Credit- Firestone- Sams Club CC- Best Buy Visa- Paypal 2% MC

Total CL $96,300
Message 11 of 26
Anonymous
Not applicable

Amex pre was correct for me.
Message 12 of 26
VipreArmed
Contributor

At the time of my app, my EX was 660 and I was approved for a SL of $1800.  No baddies, really the only issue I had was a thin file (think my AAoA was only 5-6 months).   I'd probably wait until I was at least at 650 before I'd try because even if you are approved, you may get a small SL and if you plan on using the 3X/61 days trick, it's best to wait until you get the biggest SL as possible.  

AMEX Blue Cash | Capital One Platinum | OverStock CC | Quiksilver | Walmart | VS Angel Card | 24k Student Loans |

Starting Scores: 4/1/2017 EQ: 623 TU: 644 EX: 661
10/30/2017 EQ: 641 TU: 681 EX: 695
Goal: 720 EQ-TU-EX

Gardening till April 2018!

Message 13 of 26
Anonymous
Not applicable

I don't think you can get approved even if you have a 700 amex seems to not forgive any lates or collections on your report, I had 1 collections 3 years ago and 5 lates from 3 years ago as well and that was the reason that they denied me for a BCE and this was after it went from only green amex pre qual to gold, BCE, EVC pre qual ...and still got denied.....amex prequal is a joke so don't do it if you see you prequal.

Message 14 of 26
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

I don't think you can get approved even if you have a 700 amex seems to not forgive any lates or collections on your report, I had 1 collections 3 years ago and 5 lates from 3 years ago as well and that was the reason that they denied me for a BCE and this was after it went from only green amex pre qual to gold, BCE, EVC pre qual ...and still got denied.....amex prequal is a joke so don't do it if you see you prequal.

When u went to the site did it give you a definite APR or a range??? Some users on here have reported if you see a set APR (15.5%) instead of the range (15.5-26%) then you have a better chance of being approved. All I have are lates from last year, and actually got some cleared thanks to GW letter, and until tonight I've never had anything pop up on ANY pre-qual site, decided to try AMEX out of sheer boredom and got my first recommendation with a set APR. didn't app, I have too many HPs and I know it 

Message 15 of 26
Anonymous
Not applicable

There are great suggestions on here, I would encourage you to wait a little bit until your score with Experian goes up to at least 650 or even higher. If you are able to fix those late payments with Cap1, it might boost your scores up even more once they are removed from the report. Doing so will optimize your chances of approval and getting the best possible SL and APR. When I applied earlier this year my longest tradeline was 6 mos. old and was only given $1000 to start, but my score at the time was at 742. But just my opinion, be patient with it so when you get it, you get the best of it.

Message 16 of 26
Anonymous
Not applicable

I did end up apping for the blue and that was 3 weeks ago and still havn't gotten any notifications about a HP from any of the 3....but I did get declined because I have 5 recent credit inq and my average age of credit 3.5 years because I opened up 3 credit cards within the last 6 months and 1 credit card not even a month ago. I also have $2.3k collections from 3 years ago. I will check out the fixed rate on the preq and hope to be able to join the amex fam in 12 months from now. My EX was 667 and I was denied from my goodwill letter to capital one to remove those lates from over 2 years ago eventhough I have an auto loan and 2 credit cards with them one of them being 7 years old (quicksilver) they said that they are required to report accurate information and do not do goodwills Smiley Sad so its back to the garden for me at least for another 12 months and also March of next year negotiate a pay to delete for that collections account to have it removed off my report and finally have 0 collections on my reports

Message 17 of 26
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

I did end up apping for the blue and that was 3 weeks ago and still havn't gotten any notifications about a HP from any of the 3....but I did get declined because I have 5 recent credit inq and my average age of credit 3.5 years because I opened up 3 credit cards within the last 6 months and 1 credit card not even a month ago. I also have $2.3k collections from 3 years ago. I will check out the fixed rate on the preq and hope to be able to join the amex fam in 12 months from now. My EX was 667 and I was denied from my goodwill letter to capital one to remove those lates from over 2 years ago eventhough I have an auto loan and 2 credit cards with them one of them being 7 years old (quicksilver) they said that they are required to report accurate information and do not do goodwills Smiley Sad so its back to the garden for me at least for another 12 months and also March of next year negotiate a pay to delete for that collections account to have it removed off my report and finally have 0 collections on my reports

BLiNK sorry to hear about the denial. Well at least you can use this time to work on your credit report. Keep monitoring your EX score, I know it's frustrating to attempt fixing things within the credit report, but give it a few mos. and try again. Just curious, did you not try for the AMEX Green card? You mentioned about being pre-qualified for it. The BCE will always be there, and it may even get better with sign up bonus offers in the next few mos. if you were somewhat pre-qualified for the Green, that might get your foot in the door with AMEX and have a chance to prove that you are credit worthy. 

Message 18 of 26
drboxing
Established Contributor

frogman1 did you apply for the Amex Green and they approved you for the PRG? Just curious

Message 19 of 26
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yeah I pre-qalified for the green for months before the BCE popped up on the amex pre-q , I figured I had no actual use for the green so I never apped but maybe it would have been a good move like you said to show amex my credit worthiness. It just sucks mistakes from 3 years ago still affect me today Smiley Sad 

Message 20 of 26
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.