Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AMEX PRG vs BCE Credit Required. Late pay

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

AMEX PRG vs BCE Credit Required. Late pay

I have been reading around here that the AMEX Gold Premier Rewards Card is "Easier" to get than the AMEX BCE because one is a charge card and one is a revolver.  Is there any truth to that?

My wife is getting ready to apply Fico 690, however she has a 30 day late payment 9 months ago and a 30 day late from 2 years ago.  Is that a non-starter for AMEX?

17 REPLIES 17
wingennis
Valued Contributor

Re: AMEX PRG vs BCE Credit Required. Late pay

I got my PRG when my score was 647 and my BCE when my score was 660.  I have three paid charge-off's from 2012.  Does she have any prior relationship with AMEX?  That seems to help.

Message 2 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

No no prior relationship with AMEX.  Her Util is 10%, has 2 bank cards (cap and wells) and 1 retail card.  The late payment from 8 months ago is on a paid in full closed account and the one from 2 years ago is paid in full as well.  Will eventually try goodwill, but for now am curious.

Interesting you applied for PRG before the BCE, any reason?

Message 3 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

Quick Data points from my recent BCE approval a couple of weeks ago. $10k SL.
Ex: 708
Tu: 645
AAoA: 2yr 1mo
Currently one baddie Tu: debt in collections $2029
1 30 day late showing from 2016
INQ at time of apping
Tu: 15
Ex: 10
UTILIZATION was at 48%
Message 4 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

AAOA for her is about 4 years. The 3 open accounts are 7 years (biggest limit) 5 years and 2 years.

Only 1 inquiry on TU. 0 on other 2.

It’s sojnding like she may have a better chance than I thought. Think I saw that AMEX likes open card with limit over 5k and relatively thin files.
Message 5 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

My file was thin and I had no CC with a limit higher than $2100 I'd say with her low INQ and score her odds of getting BCE are fairly good if that's the card she wants I wouldnt waste a HP on the other because it may or may not be easier to get she has a strong AAoA I'd say go for but that's just my honest opinion.
Message 6 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yeah, I think so too. I think she would be good to go; I don't think isolated 30s would scare them away. Also, I like the fact that she has a smaller number of cards, means more spend on AmEx. I vote yes, go. 

Message 7 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

Really appreciate all the info. She really wants an Amex, May not be the best card when comparing rewards but she seems to have her mind set on it.
Message 8 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

She has good taste. I have always had great luck/dealings with them. Good things crop up from time to time. You'll see. Best of luck!

Message 9 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

I love mine and she will too do what's best for your health and let the woman have what she wants. Best wishes and good luck.
Message 10 of 18
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.