cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AMEX Platinum Recon - Approval Possible?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

AMEX Platinum Recon - Approval Possible?

Hi all!

I've had my Delta Platinum AMEX card for about 120 days now and I decided to go after the regular Platinum for my first charge card, especially since I managed to get the 100k+10x offer in my account. The application was a SP denial due to a low credit score. I noticed the score they pulled was from December 9th at a 630 (I had an overall utilization rate into the 60% range at that time as well). That same score is currently a 695. Overall utilization is about 16%, the AMEX Delta card is at 1%, average age of accounts is just under 7 years with income in the mid-to-high $100k range.

I called and submitted for a recon, requesting they pull my most recent report. I have no baddies on my account aside from a couple of 30 day lates that are over a year old. 

Are my chances of being approved decent? I fear my score may still be low but my income, average spend on the Delta AMEX and utilization all should be good. Rep on the phone said I may not hear back until next week due to the holiday. Thanks all! Fingers crossed!

Side note - I applied for the AMEX Gold 6 months ago and was denied, but the application status page is currently showing "provide requested information". Of course, this app is old so I'm sure there's nothing I can do, but now the AMEX Gold doesn't even show up on the website for me when logged in. Should I try applying for this card instead?

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: AMEX Platinum Recon - Approval Possible?

amex platinum aproval posible

@Anonymous wrote:

Hi all!

I've had my Delta Platinum AMEX card for about 120 days now and I decided to go after the regular Platinum for my first charge card, especially since I managed to get the 100k+10x offer in my account. The application was a SP denial due to a low credit score. I noticed the score they pulled was from December 9th at a 630 (I had an overall utilization rate into the 60% range at that time as well). That same score is currently a 695. Overall utilization is about 16%, the AMEX Delta card is at 1%, average age of accounts is just under 7 years with income in the mid-to-high $100k range.

I called and submitted for a recon, requesting they pull my most recent report. I have no baddies on my account aside from a couple of 30 day lates that are over a year old. 

Are my chances of being approved decent? I fear my score may still be low but my income, average spend on the Delta AMEX and utilization all should be good. Rep on the phone said I may not hear back until next week due to the holiday. Thanks all! Fingers crossed!

Side note - I applied for the AMEX Gold 6 months ago and was denied, but the application status page is currently showing "provide requested information". Of course, this app is old so I'm sure there's nothing I can do, but now the AMEX Gold doesn't even show up on the website for me when logged in. Should I try applying for this card instead?

Message 2 of 7
Ficoproblems247
Valued Contributor

Since you've already called for a recon, all you can do at this point is wait for their decision. 630 is not impossible to be approved for an AMEX during good times, but they have tightened up quite a bit with score requirements lately, citing "FICO score too low" as a reason for both denial of new apps, as well as CLIs with scores that used to be talked about as likely being acceptable pre-pandemic. A general rule of thumb with AMEX is to assume they're using last month's pull instead of this month's when you submit a new app or request a CLI. So if your score was from 12/9 and it updates on 1/9, they won't actually start using your 1/9 score until closer to 2/9. You have to be patient. Don't "apply for the Gold instead," as you stated earlier. Always apply for the card that fits your spend, not just for something because you feel like you could be approved for it. If the Platinum fits your spend, that's what you should go for. Besides, the Platinum and Gold have the same UW standards anyway, so you would have no better chance of landing the Gold over the Platinum. As far as the Gold card disappearing from their website, this seems to be a semi-common glitch with their site, as a lot of other members have reported the same thing. It's not just you. Lastly, keep us posted on the recon. We are all cheering you on and hoping for an approval. Any further DPs from the process will only serve to help others that go through the same thing. Good luck!

FICO 8 Sep '23 EX 755 EQ 765 TU 739
TCL $199,800
Message 3 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for the good points, I'll be sure to update everyone. I'm thinking I should have waited until the 9th as that would reflect a much better score. I'm hoping they pull a more recent report and go off of that.

Message 4 of 7
wmr0919

Googling these questions only to frequently see no follow up or updates is beyond frustrating.

Message 5 of 7
Ficoproblems247
Valued Contributor

@wmr0919 wrote:

Googling these questions only to frequently see no follow up or updates is beyond frustrating.

@wmr0919 A quick search of the OP's posts revealed that they were in fact approved for both the Platinum, as well as the Gold card. (On the same day no less.) Here is the approval post if you would like to read it. 

FICO 8 Sep '23 EX 755 EQ 765 TU 739
TCL $199,800
Message 6 of 7
wmr0919

@Ficoproblems247 wrote:

@wmr0919 wrote:

@wmr0919 A quick search of the OP's posts revealed that they were in fact approved for both the Platinum, as well as the Gold card. (On the same day no less.) Here is the approval post if you would like to read it. 

Gotcha thanks!

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.