cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AMEX Platinum ... You are pre-approved! PLEASE ADVISE!!!

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: AMEX Platinum ... You are pre-approved! PLEASE ADVISE!!!

@Moorehouse3000, thanks I needed to read that.

I have spent the last 2 years keeping high balances on my CC's. Now I realize that isn't the right thing to do.

I just got into Amex.

After working hard paying off all but one card  I finially got an Amex pre-approval. 

I was preapproved for the Amex everyday and the Green card.

I applied for the Everyday and it went to 7-10 day wait. I then applied for the Green card same day. I wanted to get in to Amex and I knew it would be one pull if I did it on the same day. Instantly approved for the Green.

10 days later Amex deneid the Everyday. Their reasons were" I had one CC with 73% usuage. Time  with Amex was too short."

After reading your comments I will just use the green card and pay it off every week. Sometime Amex will throw some more Love my way and I can get the Everday or Gold.

Message 11 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

@N5369087......Hey buddy no problem.   I won't lie I always all my life wanted to have an AMEX card but never knew anything about credit how to build credit how credit works etc.  Parents didn't teach me that, schools certainly do not teach you credit I 1st learned about how it really worked when I started doing mortgages at a company back in 2005.  That's when it started making sense.  Fast forward when I first got into the AMEX family on April 29, 2019 (still saved the email when it came thru approved) I was excited.   About every 3 months I would apply for CLI....no dice.  Even did it about 2 weeks ago....No dice.  So just keep in mind they will let you in but will hold the BK against you until it drops off.  That's what the letter will site.....the BK on your credit report.  So

Fast forward Feb 13, 2020 finally started getting the "Pre Approved" message when I would go to AMEX site to see if I'm approved for anything.   Use to always say "Looking to Expand".   That's when I applied for the Green, Gold & Everyday Blue (Already had the Everyday Blue Preferred).   Then on Feb 25 since the Pre Approved thingy kept showing (went away for a few days back to the Expand your membership) I pulled the trigger by getting the Plat card.   Now when I go on there it's back to "Expand your membership".   That's fine I have enough Amex cards for now I just love seeing that "YOu're Pre Approved" message!  lol   Crazy I know but I'm just living my best life right about now.   So good luck on the ride.  Remember you can only get or have 5 Credit cards but unlimited number of charge cards (Green, Gold & Plat).   Charge cards DO NOT count against the Credit cards so you can have all 3 charge cards but only have 5 Credit cards.  

Message 12 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

@N5369087....forgot to mention of all 5 cards I have it was only 1 hard pull which was on my 1st card.   The other 4 cards I got with only a soft pull which is PERFECT so it will not impact your score.

Message 13 of 18
Brian_Earl_Spilner
Credit Mentor

@Anonymous wrote:

@Moorehouse3000, thanks I needed to read that.

I have spent the last 2 years keeping high balances on my CC's. Now I realize that isn't the right thing to do.

I just got into Amex.

After working hard paying off all but one card  I finially got an Amex pre-approval. 

I was preapproved for the Amex everyday and the Green card.

I applied for the Everyday and it went to 7-10 day wait. I then applied for the Green card same day. I wanted to get in to Amex and I knew it would be one pull if I did it on the same day. Instantly approved for the Green.

10 days later Amex deneid the Everyday. Their reasons were" I had one CC with 73% usuage. Time  with Amex was too short."

After reading your comments I will just use the green card and pay it off every week. Sometime Amex will throw some more Love my way and I can get the Everday or Gold.

It's rare they use a single pull for multiple cards in the same day. SP approvals usually take a couple of months after opening your first card.

Message 14 of 18
Brian_Earl_Spilner
Credit Mentor

@Anonymous wrote:

@N5369087....forgot to mention of all 5 cards I have it was only 1 hard pull which was on my 1st card.   The other 4 cards I got with only a soft pull which is PERFECT so it will not impact your score.

You won't be impacted by the inquiry, but you'll be impacted by the drop in AAoA and again by having an account less than a year old.

Message 15 of 18
Remedios
Credit Mentor

I had preapprovals after only three weeks 🤷‍♀️

I think I posted screenshot. They are all still there, card is 1.5 months old. 

Message 16 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

If you are already in the Amex system, it will be pretty hard to receive a 100k offer on Platinum.  Most of the time, they are reserved for none Amex users.  But my friend got calls from Amex saying they will approve 100k even though he is already Amex cardholder.   If you really need lounge access, I say take 75k offer.  You can easily find them online.

Message 17 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

I also have several Amex preapprovals even though I just opened my first Amex card, the  ED card, only 2 weeks ago. So it seems like it's very case specific.

Message 18 of 18
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.