Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AMEX Referral link vs Pre-Approval

tag
Mnk1
New Contributor

AMEX Referral link vs Pre-Approval

Quick question. My spouse referred me to open a card from a BCP ($75 credit if I am approved). When I use the link sent, I don't get the "Pre-Approved" message at the top of page when I fill in my information. When I log in (I have CashMagnet and HH cards), and click on a card I want, I get the "You're Pre-Approved" message (I'm going for the Delta Gold, but all the cards say pre-approved). Will it make a difference if I use the referral link not showing pre-approved (would it be more likely to be a hard pull this way)? Thanks!

Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: AMEX Referral link vs Pre-Approval

Ime, it didn't. 
Cant remember which, I think it was for the Delta Plat, I used a referral link that didn't have the pre-approved verbiage (but I did have it when logging in to see my pre-approvals) and I was approved. 
Good luck and keep us posted. 

Message 2 of 10
seattletravels
Valued Contributor

I used a referral for the Delta Reserve and it was a SP.

Last App: BECU 02-26-2020
Pronouns: He/Him/His
Message 3 of 10
Brian_Earl_Spilner
Credit Mentor

I didn't have any pre-approvals. Used a couple of referral links for Delta Platinum and Gold charge. Instant approval and showed I was pre-approved for all cards after that. Both were SP

Message 4 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Either way no matter it will be a SP.   I got only 1 hard pull for my 1st Amex card.  Got 4 cards after that and all were sp.  

Message 5 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Really depends...it's not guaranteed to be a SP. My 2nd and 3rd AMEX, I got 1 thru a referral link and 1 thru incognito and both times they did a HP but for one of them I had my EX locked so it didn't go thru. I did have a fraud alert on my EX so that might have factored in. Not sure. I got both cards regardless so it all worked out fine in the end. 

Message 6 of 10
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:

Either way no matter it will be a SP.   I got only 1 hard pull for my 1st Amex card.  Got 4 cards after that and all were sp.  

While for the majority of outcomes this can be the case, it's not 100% guaranteed.  Anecdotally, folks have reported HPs as well, so YEMV. 

Message 7 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Make sure when you use the referral you enter your name and address exactly the same as on your account. If you're Main Street, don't change it to Main St. I had a situation where I had a Gold card issued to R. Bites and a platinum issued to Reality Bites, and Amex didn't know we were both me.

Message 8 of 10
Mnk1
New Contributor

Well, I went ahead and hit the apply button, but got the "not eligible for signup bonus" language, so I cancelled the application for now. My last AMEX card is almost 4 months old, so maybe not enough time between cards. I'm assuming the 60,000 miles bonus will go down after the 4/1/2020 deadline? This would be my 3rd AMEX card. Oh well, would have been nice for the 60,000 miles to cover my son's trip to Iceland in August. I'll guess I'll just have to refer my spouse and see if they get the pop up message. Thanks again for all the replies.

Message 9 of 10
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

Yeah, that non-eligible language can definitely change things up.  But, the  Delta Gold or Delta Platinum offers are for a limited time only.

Edit - skimmed too quickly and see you referenced Delta Gold for the SUB. 

Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.