cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AMEX Should I apply for second card after approval?????

tag
coldfusion
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

Re: AMEX Should I apply for second card after approval?????

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

What's your profile look like? Scores, usage, HPs, etc, and what was your limit on the Delta card? Those answers would help us get a better feel for where you stand.

My profile not that impressive here are the stats

Amex Delta Gold CL $1000

TU8 691

TU5,4,2 687

EQ8 678

EQ5,4,2 672

EX8 664

EX5,4,2 633

TU9 703

EQ9 697

EX9 687

No CO 

No Late in 5 years

A $1K starting limit essentially means that in AMEX' eyes your profile right now was borderline but they saw enough potential in you to give you an opportunity to prove yourself to them.   If you do that and keep tracking on an upward path like you have been it will take a little while but they will be willing to extend you bigger and better opportunities.

(3/2024)
FICO 8 (EX) 846 (TU) 850 (EQ) 850
FICO 9 (EX) 850 (TU) 850 (EQ) 850

$1M+ club

Artist formerly known as the_old_curmudgeon who was formerly known as coldfusion
Message 11 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

@GrandBay 

@Anonymous 

I would not give that advice. As I stated above, the subsequent approvals will be small and they're tough to grow. Yes, OP could be approved, but so what? Then they have two $1000 cards and when the cobrand cards (which are what OP's scores will make available) are travel-based, well, you aren't going far or for long on a grand.

I am the poster child for why you don't do this. I was all starry-eyed on my first approval (also Delta Gold, also $1000) and YOLO'd a second approval less than an hour later for the base no-AF Hilton card. Guess what? Also $1000. Why I thought it might work out better I have no idea. These were 11/15/2018. The whole 3x CLI after 61 days? Yeah, big fat NO.

The following March I decided to go for Surpass. We stay at Hampton Inn a lot on trips and I figured I've got a few months under my belt, this will be a good one. Guess what? $1000. 

In May of 2019 I decided to go for the Gold charge without preapproval (no biggie - didn't have it for my three prior approvals). Declined. On the 23rd of that month, suddenly I was preapproved for BCP and every other Amex card except Gold. I was stoked as BCP was one I knew I could use well with streaming and groceries. Now I'm six months in with Amex, great performance on the cards, go for it!

$1000.

Four days later Gold preapproval showed up and I took it and was approved. Didn't app any other Amex cards until November 2020 when I got the Platinum charge. During all of this time I tried for a CLI every three months. Every single ask was turned down. Here and now I'm a 31-month cardmember with four $1000 revolvers.

My charge cards have never been throttled but I can't grow my revolvers to save my life. I believe there are two reasons. One is that I still have a single old paid derog on EX and Amex has seemed to be pretty adamant on not growing cards for blemished profiles. My other two bureaus are clean but Amex only uses them as a cursory second-look most of the time. My revolvers are very likely not going to budge by a dime until EX is clear. The second reason I think is simply that I went too fast with them. Spreading out the apps may have worked better.

So in sum, yes if you just want a wallet full of Amex cards, by all means app away. If you want useful limits and flexibility, take your time and work on your profile. Clean it up and then app for more. Waiting sucks but it's worth it. Learn from my haste and take the lesson to heart.

Message 12 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

@coldfusion wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

What's your profile look like? Scores, usage, HPs, etc, and what was your limit on the Delta card? Those answers would help us get a better feel for where you stand.

Amex Delta Gold CL $1000

TU8 691

TU5,4,2 687

EQ8 678

EQ5,4,2 672

EX8 664

EX5,4,2 633

TU9 703

EQ9 697

EX9 687

No CO 

No Late in 5 years

A $1K starting limit essentially means that in AMEX' eyes your profile right now was borderline but they saw enough potential in you to give you an opportunity to prove yourself to them.   If you do that and keep tracking on an upward path like you have been it will take a little while but they will be willing to extend you bigger and better opportunities.

That gives me hope! I have been struggling for the past 6 years. Financially I have been stable and hold my own ground and during this pandemic its very few who have been able to operate normally and even finding the discretional finance to make extra payments to the point of maintaining zero balance on my Jasper Master Card and having regular car payments at least two months paid in advanced.

Message 13 of 16
Crowhelm
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@coldfusion wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Amex Delta Gold CL $1000

TU8 691

TU5,4,2 687

EQ8 678

EQ5,4,2 672

EX8 664

EX5,4,2 633

TU9 703

EQ9 697

EX9 687

No CO 

No Late in 5 years

That gives me hope! I have been struggling for the past 6 years. Financially I have been stable and hold my own ground and during this pandemic its very few who have been able to operate normally and even finding the discretional finance to make extra payments to the point of maintaining zero balance on my Jasper Master Card and having regular car payments at least two months paid in advanced.

Just out of curiosity. Why would you pay stuff two months in advance? Is there some benefit to that or are you just forgetful and try to cover yourself so you never get late by accident?

Message 14 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

The only reasons (and benefit) I would pay either a month or two months in advanced is primarily a couple years ago I had some personal problems including having an accident which affected some cognitive functions so right now my memory is somewhat limited  and short term therefore I pay in advanced and if I loose the post it note theres no harm and second I work in aviation and this is business is usually unstable today I am at the top of my finance game but I dont know about tomorrow and the added benefit is that making these extra payments usually brings down my total debt considerably.

Message 15 of 16
gingerflower
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous 

Congratulations on your Amx Delta Gold! Hey, at least you got approved for a $1000 mark your calender for the 3 times increase which is 61 days. 

Message 16 of 16
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.