cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AMEX: Still No HP For A New Card For Existing Card Holders?

tag
Broke_Triathlete
Valued Contributor

AMEX: Still No HP For A New Card For Existing Card Holders?

Morning Everyone,

It's been a few years since I've applied for any credit and was thinking about getting an AMEX charge card. I remember several years ago AMEX did not do a HP for existing card holders. Is that still the same? I tried a search but kept finding threads for people who weren't existing members.  

Thanks everyone. 

Personal:

Business:

Message 1 of 19
18 REPLIES 18
unsungivy
Established Contributor

Re: AMEX: Still No HP For A New Card For Existing Card Holders?

As of getting my Gold card in April, that was the case for me. No HP

SD - Biz -
Message 2 of 19
Broke_Triathlete
Valued Contributor

@unsungivy wrote:

As of getting my Gold card in April, that was the case for me. No HP

That's great news. Thank you for the update! 

Personal:

Business:

Message 3 of 19
learningcredit54
Regular Contributor

I believe if you are a current member there is a way to see if there will be a hard pull.

Log on to your account and click APPLY NOW on the card you are interested in. If it says something along the lines "EXPANDING YOUR MEMBERSHIP IS EASY" there will be a HP, if it says your pre-approved more than likely only a SP will be done.

Business Cards:
Amex Business Plus: 6000 // Amex Business Hilton Honors: 3000 // Amex Delta Gold: 4900 // Amex Business Platinum NPSL POT 5000 // Amex Business Gold NPSL POT 15000

Personal Cards:
Discover It Cash Back: 8000 // Chase Saphire Preferred: 5000 // Truist Enjoy Beyond: 4500 // Amex Blue Cash Preferred: 1000 // Cap1SavorOne: 2000 // Cap1 Secured Platinum: 200 // Cap1 QuiksilverOne 2000 // Citi Double Cash: 5200 // Amex Platinum NPSL POT 4000 // Amex Gold NPSL POT 1750

GOAL SCORES 750 ACROSS
Message 4 of 19
coldfusion
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

@learningcredit54 wrote:

I believe if you are a current member there is a way to see if there will be a hard pull.

Log on to your account and click APPLY NOW on the card you are interested in. If it says something along the lines "EXPANDING YOUR MEMBERSHIP IS EASY" there will be a HP, if it says your pre-approved more than likely only a SP will be done.

That tool is only a means of assessing if your odds of approval are greater than some seekrit internal benchmark.  

I know from personal experience that an existing AMEX cardholder (with a clean thick profile) can get a preapproval and still get a hard pull.   

(3/2024)
FICO 8 (EX) 846 (TU) 850 (EQ) 850
FICO 9 (EX) 850 (TU) 850 (EQ) 850

$1M+ club

Artist formerly known as the_old_curmudgeon who was formerly known as coldfusion
Message 5 of 19
Brian_Earl_Spilner
Credit Mentor

It depends on your profile. Most people don't get a HP. Some have EX pulled. Some have TU pulled. And some have both of the above pulled.

Message 6 of 19
Broke_Triathlete
Valued Contributor

@Brian_Earl_Spilner wrote:

It depends on your profile. Most people don't get a HP. Some have EX pulled. Some have TU pulled. And some have both of the above pulled.

I love your username lol. Instant flashback haha.

Thanks for the info! 

Personal:

Business:

Message 7 of 19
OmarGB9
Community Leader
Super Contributor

@learningcredit54 wrote:

No, that's for checking if you're preapproved, not for determining whether there will be an HP or not. 

@Broke_Triathlete, in *most* cases existing cardholders can get approved with just an SP, but it's not guaranteed. 

Last App: 1/10/2023
Penfed Gold Visa Card

Currently rebuilding as of 04/11/2019.

Starting FICO 8 Scores:

Current FICO 8 scores:

Message 8 of 19
Suzette2
Frequent Contributor

@Broke_Triathlete wrote:

Morning Everyone,

It's been a few years since I've applied for any credit and was thinking about getting an AMEX charge card. I remember several years ago AMEX did not do a HP for existing card holders. Is that still the same? I tried a search but kept finding threads for people who weren't existing members.  

Thanks everyone. 

I just got the BCP in March, 2022.  A month and a half later I got an 'offer' for a Amex Delta Plat......I pulled the trigger and was approved.  No HP

6/20 :12/22 :
Message 9 of 19
Antredd
Valued Member

@Broke_Triathlete wrote:

Morning Everyone,

Thanks everyone. 

No hard pull for me as well when I applied for the AMEX Gold card after being approved for the AMEX Everyday Preferred Card a week prior.

Message 10 of 19
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.