Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AMEX asking proof of Income.

tag
lns1976
Regular Contributor

Re: AMEX asking prove of Income.

@Ladyofthelake What does your credit history look like?  Here is part of how they decide whether to POI your credit history.

An established credit history with multiple accounts paid on time is less likely to trigger a POI than someone with less than 2 years credit history.

Fico 8 3/27/2022 EX: 611
Vantage TU/EQ 3/26/2022: 613/613
Message 21 of 43
Ladyofthelake
Established Member

@lns1976 wrote:

@Ladyofthelake What does your credit history look like?  Here is part of how they decide whether to POI your credit history.

An established credit history with multiple accounts paid on time is less likely to trigger a POI than someone with less than 2 years credit history.

I had a tought time in the past. I couldn't pay my credit card on time. Amex and Discover had debt collcetions on my credit report for 7 years. They just fell off last year...... This could be why?? 

I love good checking accounts and credit cards.
Message 22 of 43
lns1976
Regular Contributor

@Ladyofthelake Did you pay off the old debt?  Based on reading I've done here Amex seems to have a long memory, but after paid will give people a second chance with an Optima card to get back in the door.

Not sure about Discover after 7 years.

Fico 8 3/27/2022 EX: 611
Vantage TU/EQ 3/26/2022: 613/613
Message 23 of 43
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

@Ladyofthelake wrote:

@lns1976 wrote:

I had a tought time in the past. I couldn't pay my credit card on time. Amex and Discover had debt collcetions on my credit report for 7 years. They just fell off last year...... This could be why?? 

Just keep in mind that just because they are no longer present on your credit reports financial institutions still maintain internal records of your past experience with them, especially if the debts haven't been paid.

Message 24 of 43
Ladyofthelake
Established Member

@lns1976 wrote:

@Ladyofthelake Did you pay off the old debt?  Based on reading I've done here Amex seems to have a long memory, but after paid will give people a second chance with an Optima card to get back in the door.

Not sure about Discover after 7 years.

I didn't.......

THis is why discover won't even give me a secured card. 

Message 25 of 43
Ladyofthelake
Established Member

@FinStar wrote:

@Ladyofthelake wrote:

@lns1976 wrote:

Just keep in mind that just because they are no longer present on your credit reports financial institutions still maintain internal records of your past experience with them, especially if the debts haven't been paid.

You are so right. I will not apply any AMEX or Discover card. 

Message 26 of 43
bigseegar
Established Contributor

@Ladyofthelake wrote:

@FinStar wrote:

@Ladyofthelake wrote:

@lns1976 wrote:

Both AmEx and Discover have "Blacklist" and LONG memories when you don't pay them. I'd bet for sure you're on both's Blacklist. Best thing you can do once you have true verifiable income get a Secured card with someone that will issue one (Open Sky will give anyone one) and work hard on repairing/building your credit and just forget AmEx (and Discover) for a long time.

Message 27 of 43
Ladyofthelake
Established Member

@bigseegar wrote:

@Ladyofthelake wrote:

@FinStar wrote:

@Ladyofthelake wrote:

@lns1976 wrote:

Both AmEx and Discover have "Blacklist" and LONG memories when you don't pay them. I'd bet for sure you're on both's Blacklist. Best thing you can do once you have true verifiable income get a Secured card with someone that will issue one (Open Sky will give anyone one) and work hard on repairing/building your credit and just forget AmEx (and Discover) for a long time.

I'd take that advice. I will not deal with AMEX or Discover again. It's the price I will have to pay for not paying bacl. My credit report has healed after 7 years. I will not let my credit be screwed again. 

Message 28 of 43
lupes

Re: AMEX asking proof of Income.

Although my situation is different, I do want to share a DP.

Opened a Amex Delta SkyMiles Gold card in October 2021 with instant approval and applied for the Amex Gold card in January 2022 with application pending. Amex later asked me to sign a 4506T, which I did not want to do.

Applied to the Amex plat in March and got instant approval. Seems like they don't necessarily block you if refusing to submit a 4506T.

**my sleepy brain mixed up tax forms, I meant a 4506T instead of a 1099

FICO8: EX 756 / TU 765
CC (old to new): BofA Travel Rewards $2,200 / Amex Delta Gold $3,000 / Chase Freedom Unlimited $1,400 / Apple Card $10,00 / Amex Morgan Stanley Platinum NPSL / Amex Hilton Surpass $15,000 / Chase Marriott Bonvoy Boundless $18,000
Message 29 of 43
OmarGB9
Community Leader
Super Contributor

Re: AMEX asking proof of Income.

@lupes wrote:

Although my situation is different, I do want to share a DP.

Opened a Amex Delta SkyMiles Gold card in October 2021 with instant approval and applied for the Amex Gold card in January 2022 with application pending. Amex later asked me to sign a 1099, which I did not want to do.

Applied to the Amex plat in March and got instant approval. Seems like they don't necessarily block you if refusing to submit a 1099.

1099?

Last App: 1/10/2023
Penfed Gold Visa Card

Currently rebuilding as of 04/11/2019.

Starting FICO 8 Scores:

Current FICO 8 scores:

Message 30 of 43
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.