Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AMEX denial 5 years 1 month after bankruptcy filing

tag
NYC_Fella
Frequent Contributor

AMEX denial 5 years 1 month after bankruptcy filing

The only reason given was "bankruptcy". FICO 8 scores are in the 700 range; stellar record since BK filing in September 2016. AMEX was not IIB.

Worth a recon attempt?

(FWIW I applied for a Gold charge card. Should I have tried for a revolving card first? Or a co-branded card?)

Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10
Brian_Earl_Spilner
Credit Mentor

Re: AMEX denial 5 years 1 month after bankruptcy filing

You probably applied too soon. You can try recon since you're so close, or wait a couple of weeks and try again 

Message 2 of 11
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

@NYC_Fella wrote:

The only reason given was "bankruptcy". FICO 8 scores are in the 700 range; stellar record since BK filing in September 2016. AMEX was not IIB.

Worth a recon attempt?

(FWIW I applied for a Gold charge card. Should I have tried for a revolving card first? Or a co-branded card?)

Not sure if the reconsideration route would work in your favor but maybe beaut a bit longer?  You can try and see.

The results would've been the same regardless which card you would've tried btw.

Message 3 of 11
coldfusion
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

Call on Monday November 1st for a reconsideration in case it's an AMEX math issue and right now they don't really see you as being 5 yrs + 1 month out of BK.

(3/2024)
FICO 8 (EX) 846 (TU) 850 (EQ) 850
FICO 9 (EX) 850 (TU) 850 (EQ) 850

$1M+ club

Artist formerly known as the_old_curmudgeon who was formerly known as coldfusion
Message 4 of 11
NYC_Fella
Frequent Contributor

My 30-day recon period ends in a couple of days, so I called the recon line and was told that I would have to wait for the BK to fall off. I know that is not correct based on the many DPs here. Should I try again and hope for a more sympathetic rep? The one I got was quite unfriendly. He said my application was non-reviewable because of the BK.

Message 5 of 11
coldfusion
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

It'll only cost you the price of a phone call and someof your time so you really have nothing to lose, just don't have high expectations.

(3/2024)
FICO 8 (EX) 846 (TU) 850 (EQ) 850
FICO 9 (EX) 850 (TU) 850 (EQ) 850

$1M+ club

Artist formerly known as the_old_curmudgeon who was formerly known as coldfusion
Message 6 of 11
NYC_Fella
Frequent Contributor

@coldfusion wrote:

It'll only cost you the price of a phone call and someof your time so you really have nothing to lose, just don't have high expectations.

So here's what happened. I haven't called them yet but as mentioned elsewhere, I was engaged in an app spree today with a view to gardening for the next 6-12 months. So figuring I might as well be hanged for a sheep as for a lamb, I threw in another last-minute app to Amex for the BCP. I got the dreaded "We are reviewing ..." message and a few hours later I got an email telling me I was approved! The email did not specify the SL but I expect it to be low.

My earlier app (the one I'm trying to have reconsidered) was for the Gold charge card, so maybe there is a difference depending on the kind of card you are applying for. In any event, I'm a happy camper!

Message 7 of 11
FLLGuy
Frequent Contributor

@NYC_Fella wrote:

@coldfusion wrote:

So here's what happened. I haven't called them yet but as mentioned elsewhere, I was engaged in an app spree today with a view to gardening for the next 6-12 months. So figuring I might as well be hanged for a sheep as for a lamb, I threw in another last-minute app to Amex for the BCP. I got the dreaded "We are reviewing ..." message and a few hours later I got an email telling me I was approved! The email did not specify the SL but I expect it to be low.

My earlier app (the one I'm trying to have reconsidered) was for the Gold charge card, so maybe there is a difference depending on the kind of card you are applying for. In any event, I'm a happy camper!

Love the journey here - quick question for your.   Apologize if this was already mentioned but, did you get a pre-approval or did you go in COLD?

Message 8 of 11
NYC_Fella
Frequent Contributor

@FLLGuy wrote:

@NYC_Fella wrote:
Love the journey here - quick question for your.   Apologize if this was already mentioned but, did you get a pre-approval or did you go in COLD?

I've never been pre-approved for an Amex. 

Message 9 of 11
cem13
Established Contributor

I was approved for Delta AMEX EXACTLY 5 years + 1 day after I filed BK7.  My scores were north of 700.  I was approved for $10K.  Income was ~100K, UTIL was about 10%, No baddies since BK7.

Sorry to hear about your luck.

FICO 08 JUL23: TU 850; EQ 846; EX 843. Clean since BK7 D/C 6/2011.
Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.