Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AMEX denied CLI

tag
Jnbmom
Credit Mentor

AMEX denied CLI

Well they really never cease to amaze me with the decline reasoning. I have never gotten an increase, but always try every once in awhile.

Just got my denial letter first reason too many inquires, yes guilty but the second reason is beyond absurd and I quote
"The number of credit card accounts on which, in our estimation, you have not paid a majority of the balance in recent months as indicated in your credit report"

What on earth are they smoking lol, my utilization is 2%, I pay off every card in full expect for ONE card I am using BT with and that still sits at 10%. These guys are nuts .

Not taking this personally of course, I have many other creditors that do grant me increases, this reason though is ridiculas and total BS. Sorry had to rant a bit.
EXP 780 EQ 791TU 795
Message 1 of 18
17 REPLIES 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: AMEX denied CLI

Sorry about the denial. 

2% of $210,700 is $4,214. I do not know about the rest of your financial situation but they may be estimating that your ability to pay that off is hampered somehow or in a timeframe they deem to be unacceptable so they’re waiting for that to get paid off before extending any more credit to you. 

Remember, Amex doesn’t like customers who revolve balances, they like transactors, so they may not loosen their purse strings until they see full transactor activity on your other accounts. 

Message 2 of 18
Jnbmom
Credit Mentor

@Anonymous wrote:

Sorry about the denial. 

2% of $210,700 is $4,214. I do not know about the rest of your financial situation but they may be estimating that your ability to pay that off is hampered somehow or in a timeframe they deem to be unacceptable so they’re waiting for that to get paid off before extending any more credit to you. 

Remember, Amex doesn’t like customers who revolve balances, they like transactors, so they may not loosen their purse strings until they see full transactor activity on your other accounts. 

Thanks, I can understand what you are saying . They seem to be just pulling things out of air for me though. I said I would give them a year which will be up in a few months, if they still limit me with these 1K limits, it will be time to move on from themSmiley Happy

EXP 780 EQ 791TU 795
Message 3 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yeah no sense keeping cards that don’t grow, I don’t blame you, I was just seeing if I could explain their rationale. Smiley Happy

Message 4 of 18
Jnbmom
Credit Mentor

@Anonymous wrote:

Yeah no sense keeping cards that don’t grow, I don’t blame you, I was just seeing if I could explain their rationale. Smiley Happy

Oh I get what you are sayingSmiley Happy

I just think they are full of crap Smiley LOL

EXP 780 EQ 791TU 795
Message 5 of 18
Blackswizz750
Established Contributor

I have been denied almost everytime for an increase in my BCE. Since my first increase in Oct 17, nothing but upgrade offers which will bring them $$$. I chucked it up as a card used for use and PIF along with my green card.

I now use Disco, Navy, and items that give me lots of cash back.
Message 6 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Jnbmom wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Oh I get what you are sayingSmiley Happy

I just think they are full of crap Smiley LOL

I have not had a very high opinion of Amex so I’ll agree with you. Smiley Wink

Message 7 of 18
CreditInspired
Community Leader
Super Contributor

Hi @jnbmom

I’m trying to figure out their rationale. So, a few questions.

Is the 2% UT aggregate?

Are there any instances where other cards report a balance even though you PIF but because it may report erratically, it doesn’t report as a $0 balance.

And, are you making small monthly payments on the BT even though it’s 0% APR?

I’m just brainstorming because their reasoning seems really silly.

|| AmX Cash Magnet $40.5K || NFCU CashRewards $30K || Discover IT $24.7K || Macys $24.2K || NFCU CLOC $15K || NFCU Platinum $15K || CitiCostco $12.7K || Chase FU $12.7K || Apple Card $7K || BOA CashRewards $6K
Message 8 of 18
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

In my case i can be showing 2% overall credit being used which as we know is fantastic. But when you compare that 2% to my income, i could understsnd their concern. I know i pay on time and my creditors know it but that darn dti will get one everytimeSmiley Wink
Message 9 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

It's definitely that BT account.  Perhaps they saw the balance stagnant for too long, something that historically doesn't sit well with Amex.

Message 10 of 18
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.