Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AMEX is Aggravating... AMEX Hilton Honors Application

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

AMEX is Aggravating... AMEX Hilton Honors Application

Once again, American Express makes me rethink my opinion of them. I have been staying at Hilton hotels lately, and almost exclusively. Very rarely I stay at Marriotts when the other is unavailable. Normally I use my Venture card to book the rooms. (I know this is not the best travel card choice, but it does what I need it to) With another upcoming stay on the horizon, I decided to pull the trigger on the Hilton Honors Credit Card. Either the No AF or the $95 Surpass. Once again, AMEX popped up the message telling me that I am not eligible for the SUB. Seriously? I have had two AMEX cards in my entire life, and still have them. An AMEX BCP which I have had for 3 years and received the SUB on, and an AMEX ED which I got in the last 3-4 months and did not get a SUB. I have never burned AMEX. I have never churned AMEX. I have never been derogatory with AMEX. I have had an outstanding relationship with them. My credit scores are all in the 750+ range now. This is really aggravating me...

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: AMEX is Aggravating... AMEX Hilton Honors Application

I would get on chat and talk to them about it- it might be an issue you can fix...
Message 2 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

There's been plenty of pop-ups mentioned this year.  Personally I think it's a glitch in their coding or more of an everyone gets the popup regardless if they're on the "RAT" list for abusing the system.  Seevral people have mentioned getting the popup and getting the bonus / APR terms anyway.

If you see the value in the card the bonus shouldn't be the main reason to get the card for long term use anyway.  It's a perk if it's paid out but, if you're collecting a ton of points and free nights annually it just makes sense to get it.

Message 3 of 6
redpat
Senior Contributor

Some have mentioned that they started using their Amex cards and the pop-up went away.

So if you aren't using them, I suggest that you start to.

Personal Cards: Amex Plat | Amex Delta Res | CSR | Citi AA Exec Business Cards: Ink+ | Amex BGR
Message 4 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Are you applying through American Express directly or have you tried from Hilton link? They advertise on the app or send emails about it. Maybe, try the application through one of those links and see if the pop up goes away since you are coming from a Hilton affiliate link.
Message 5 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for all of the suggestions.

@ImTheDevil - I have spoken to them a number of times. They maintain that there are no issues on their end. They also maintain that they do not see any problem with my profile. Instead of escalating the issue, they just say "we're sorry that we cannot offer you the sign-up bonus at this time."

@Obscure-Expert - I found with the AMEX Everyday that this was not the case for me. I made the required spend and did not get the sign-up bonus.

@redpat - I use both of my AMEX cards every month and PIF.

@Sage512MB - I thought this too. I tried logging into my Hilton account and clicking on the offer there. It brought me to an application that was not prefilled in, so I thought, "GREAT!" I plugged in all of the information and hit submit, BAM, the AMEX popup shows up and offers me the chance to cancel the application. 

I just don't get it. I am pre-approved for all of their cards. I have excellent credit. Perhaps it's like everyone is saying, a glitch that they have yet to work out.

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.