cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AMEX pre-qual not what I'm hoping for (take it?)

tag
Openwater
Established Contributor

AMEX pre-qual not what I'm hoping for (take it?)

So I looked on the AMEX site to see what I pre-qual for. I got 3 offers for cards I was not interest in. I was hoping to get a BCP. Should I try an offer on what I'm pre-qual'd for to get my foot in the door with them (I want to join the AMEX club); or just try for the BCP. 

Cards that were offered were the Everyday, the Magnet, and the Green. The only card, I'd kind of take is the Magnet, but it's exactly the same rewards as my Cap1 QS. So it really doesn't do much for me, besides give me my in. 

I would assume take the offer and garden 6-12 for a BCP is the more reasonable choice. 

But BCP is what I would want, I spend a lot on groceries every year.

Thoughts?

DP listed in sig, but util <1% BK 7 file 9/2014 Dis. 12/2014 AMEX not IIB

Discover 22K ---------------------------- Credit Union MC 17K
Cap1 QS 11K ---------------------------- Barclay 3.4K
AMEX Blue Cash AU 15.5K ------ Barclay Apple AU 10K
AMEX BCP 15K
1 Installment loans:
Auto 60K /

AMEX Hilton Aspire 25K
Vantage 3.0: TU:738 EQ: 737 03-17-2020
Ch. 7 DC 12/2014
Message 1 of 13
12 REPLIES 12
Scupra
Super Contributor

Re: AMEX pre-qual not what I'm hoping for (take it?)

Don't apply for a card you don't need Smiley Happy Apply for what you want and see what happens, good luck!
Filed BK7: 7/2012 (start score EQ 560 / TU 529) Discharge 10/2012
801 EQ FICO 06/2022
797 TU FICO 04/2022
793 EX FICO 04/2022
$30k NFCU Platinum | $30.7k NFCU cashRewards Sig | $15k NavChek | $7.1k Cap1 Quicksilver | $10k Amazon Store | $19k Cap1 VentureOne | $16k Barclay Aviator | $5k Chase Freedom | $5k Chase Sapphire Preferred | $9k Costco Visa | $20k AMEX BCE | AMEX Gold | NFCU Platinum #2 $19.3k | Apple $8.5k
Message 2 of 13
Rebuild2019
Valued Contributor

@Openwater I 100% agree with @Scupra
Apply for what you need or will use. Don’t wast your hard pull. I have some pre-approvals now that I am not taking because I know what I want next.

The card you want will show up. Wait them out.

CARDS: Discover It | Kohl’s | Truist Spectrum Cash Rewards | Truist Bright | CITI Custom Cash | Chase Freedom Flex | Chase Amazon Prime Visa | VACU Cash Rewards Mastercard | Sam’s Club Mastercard | PenFed Gold Visa | NFCU CashRewards | NFCU More Rewards | NFCU Platinum Visa | AMEX BCE | Verizon Visa | Wells Fargo Active Cash | Amazon Prime | NFCU Auto Loan
Starting Scores 05/2019: EQ:519, EX:525, TU:574

CLOSED : Capital One Quicksilver One | OpenSky |
Message 3 of 13
Scupra
Super Contributor

There doesn't need to be a pre-approval either. I was not pre approved and was instantly approved with a $20k SL. It's most likely just one HP anyway Smiley Happy
Filed BK7: 7/2012 (start score EQ 560 / TU 529) Discharge 10/2012
801 EQ FICO 06/2022
797 TU FICO 04/2022
793 EX FICO 04/2022
$30k NFCU Platinum | $30.7k NFCU cashRewards Sig | $15k NavChek | $7.1k Cap1 Quicksilver | $10k Amazon Store | $19k Cap1 VentureOne | $16k Barclay Aviator | $5k Chase Freedom | $5k Chase Sapphire Preferred | $9k Costco Visa | $20k AMEX BCE | AMEX Gold | NFCU Platinum #2 $19.3k | Apple $8.5k
Message 4 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

If you're prequalified for any AMEX revolver like the EveryDay, you're prequalified for any revolver. Just app the BCP. 

Message 5 of 13
Rebuild2019
Valued Contributor

Thanks @Saeren for the info.

CARDS: Discover It | Kohl’s | Truist Spectrum Cash Rewards | Truist Bright | CITI Custom Cash | Chase Freedom Flex | Chase Amazon Prime Visa | VACU Cash Rewards Mastercard | Sam’s Club Mastercard | PenFed Gold Visa | NFCU CashRewards | NFCU More Rewards | NFCU Platinum Visa | AMEX BCE | Verizon Visa | Wells Fargo Active Cash | Amazon Prime | NFCU Auto Loan

Message 6 of 13
M_Smart007
Legendary Contributor

@Openwater wrote:

So I looked on the AMEX site to see what I pre-qual for. I got 3 offers for cards I was not interest in. I was hoping to get a BCP. Should I try an offer on what I'm pre-qual'd for to get my foot in the door with them (I want to join the AMEX club); or just try for the BCP. 

Cards that were offered were the Everyday, the Magnet, and the Green. The only card, I'd kind of take is the Magnet, but it's exactly the same rewards as my Cap1 QS. So it really doesn't do much for me, besides give me my in. 

I would assume take the offer and garden 6-12 for a BCP is the more reasonable choice. 

But BCP is what I would want, I spend a lot on groceries every year.

Thoughts?

DP listed in sig, but util <1% BK 7 file 9/2014 Dis. 12/2014 AMEX not IIB

Cold appSmiley Happy

Message 7 of 13
Openwater
Established Contributor

Thank you all for the great advise! You were right, I took the jump and got approved for 22K SL. Excuse me while I go celebrate in the "approvals" forum. Feel free to join the party.

Discover 22K ---------------------------- Credit Union MC 17K
Cap1 QS 11K ---------------------------- Barclay 3.4K
AMEX Blue Cash AU 15.5K ------ Barclay Apple AU 10K
AMEX BCP 15K
1 Installment loans:
Auto 60K /

AMEX Hilton Aspire 25K
Vantage 3.0: TU:738 EQ: 737 03-17-2020
Ch. 7 DC 12/2014
Message 8 of 13
Rebuild2019
Valued Contributor

@Openwater I am so happy for you. Congrats 🎊🎈🍾🎉 on your approval.

Message 9 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Openwater wrote:

Thank you all for the great advise! You were right, I took the jump and got approved for 22K SL. Excuse me while I go celebrate in the "approvals" forum. Feel free to join the party.

Very nice! Congrats!

Message 10 of 13
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.